Knife ban

Poignard

Visit site
[QUOTEippi{😶="Bouba, post: 8497807, member: 164226"]
A bit of a catch all
So, you have your divers knife on you and you say to Mr Plod, I’m on the way to a dive....where are your flippers and mask ? enquires Mr Plod.
[/QUOTE]
Perhaps you have in mind the sort of dive whose habituées (so I am reliaby informed) wear rubber garments? :oops:

oldbloke

Visit site
Seems a general trend nowadays, find an area where a relative few people are obviously breaking the law, stabbing, speeding drink driving, and instead of enforcing that law bring in more stringent laws which then infringe on ordinary people going about there legitimate business while the bad boys continue to commit their crimes.

lustyd

Visit site
But simply read any news outlet any day in the UK to see that knife crime has reached massive numbers with kids routinely killing each other
Not really the case. There are a few incidents and I’m in favour of the law change but honestly our news is mostly propaganda and/or designed to enrage people for view count these days so they make a big thing of stuff like this.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I'm not sure that this will cause the genuine user too much difficulty,

"Criteria for weapons which will be illegal to possess following 24 September 2024:
The weapon sometimes known as a ‘zombie-style’ knife or ‘zombie-style’ machete, being a bladed article with—

(i) a plain cutting edge;
(ii) a sharp pointed end; and
(iii) a blade of over eight inches in length (the length of the blade being the straight-line distance from the top of the handle to the tip of the blade),
which also has one or more of the following features, the specified features are:

— (a) a serrated cutting edge (other than a serrated cutting edge of up to two inches next to the handle);
(b) more than one hole in the blade;
(c) spikes;
(d) more than two sharp points in the blade other than:
o (a) a sharp point where the angle between the edges which create the point is an angle of at least 90 degrees (where there is a curved edge, the angle will be measured by reference to the tangent of the curve);
o (b) a sharp point on the cutting edge of the blade near the handle
."

I find the fact that my locking blade Leatherman multi tool is banned under the previous legislation more vexing.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Apparently, cows are a big killer in the UK. Now making it into the front page of popular press, so perhaps it's time to "Cull Killer Cows". ;)

The hell and horror of cow attacks: ‘I told my husband to leave me to die’

On the knife topic, I don't think any diver or sailor, rigger, tradesman et cetera needs to worry about carrying and using knives beyond making sure they are stored securely when in transit and only used when taking part in the activity. This law has been the case for some time now and the current September implementation is just an amendment to an existing law.

I guess if you are diving and subject to an underwater Zombie attack, you are stuffed, as you will not have the necessary knife to defend yourself with.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Apparently, cows are a big killer in the UK. Now making it into the front page of popular press, so perhaps it's time to "Cull Killer Cows". ;)

The hell and horror of cow attacks: ‘I told my husband to leave me to die’

On the knife topic, I don't think any diver or sailor, rigger, tradesman et cetera needs to worry about carrying and using knives beyond making sure they are stored securely when in transit and only used when taking part in the activity. This law has been the case for some time now and the current September implementation is just an amendment to an existing law.

I guess if you are diving and subject to an underwater Zombie attack, you are stuffed, as you will not have the necessary knife to defend yourself with.
That's funny, I was just looking at those cattle attack stats and reflecting that one is way more in danger crossing a field which contains cows than from certain other maritime hazards which are generating much heat elsewhere.

PWLS08

Visit site
I'm not sure that this will cause the genuine user too much difficulty,

"Criteria for weapons which will be illegal to possess following 24 September 2024:
The weapon sometimes known as a ‘zombie-style’ knife or ‘zombie-style’ machete, being a bladed article with—

(i) a plain cutting edge;
(ii) a sharp pointed end; and
(iii) a blade of over eight inches in length (the length of the blade being the straight-line distance from the top of the handle to the tip of the blade),
which also has one or more of the following features, the specified features are:

— (a) a serrated cutting edge (other than a serrated cutting edge of up to two inches next to the handle);
(b) more than one hole in the blade;
(c) spikes;
(d) more than two sharp points in the blade other than:
o (a) a sharp point where the angle between the edges which create the point is an angle of at least 90 degrees (where there is a curved edge, the angle will be measured by reference to the tangent of the curve);
o (b) a sharp point on the cutting edge of the blade near the handle
."

I find the fact that my locking blade Leatherman multi tool is banned under the previous legislation more vexing.

The term 'Banned' is being chucked about on this thread with an apparent lack of understanding of the legislation and indeed what the word means. A Leatherman is not 'banned', it is, however, classed as an item that one cannot carry in public without due reason. The knives that fit the definition that you quote are 'banned' in that is is an absolute offence to own one (its location eg private house or street is irrelevant) and there is no defence of reasonable cause. Under previous legislation things like automatically extending batons and sword sticks are similarly treated.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
. A Leatherman is not 'banned', it is, however, classed as an item that one cannot carry in public without due reason
Yeah, I know that. It's shorthand mate.

I have always, habitually carried a pocket knife of some sort, whether I have a specific reason or not (a reason becomes apparent surprisingly often). The Leatherman is simply the most useful/ best compromise as a "daily carry" - and was purchased way before the relevant legislation was enacted.

Since I don't reckon "I always carry one in case it comes in handy" would satisfy plod, I have to remember to carry an alternative.

I seem to recall that Leatherman now do a non locking blade - yep, Leatherman Bond,

"The non-locking tools and 2.6" knife blade make the Bond a UK everyday legal carry multi-tool."

But I don't particularly want another knife or to splash another £55 odd. And, for most applications, a locked blade is safer.

I have a range of knives for specific purposes, some of which can't be carried without reason. It's just a nuisance to remember which is which.

capnsensible

Visit site
Not really the case. There are a few incidents and I’m in favour of the law change but honestly our news is mostly propaganda and/or designed to enrage people for view count these days so they make a big thing of stuff like this.
On the other hand, there are statistics...

According to the latest figures, the number of knife-related offences in England and Wales rose to 49,489 in 2023, up from 46,153 in 2022. Although this number is still 3% lower than the pre-pandemic peak of 51,206 in 2019, the upward trend is concerning, especially with a 20% increase in robberies involving knives.Aug 16, 2024

Bouba

Visit site
Seems a general trend nowadays, find an area where a relative few people are obviously breaking the law, stabbing, speeding drink driving, and instead of enforcing that law bring in more stringent laws which then infringe on ordinary people going about there legitimate business while the bad boys continue to commit their crimes.
I agree….but to make matters worse it is the manner in which they are enforced….far easier for police to catch law abiding citizens than go after the thankless task of chasing bad guys

PWLS08

Visit site
Yeah, I know that. It's shorthand mate.

I have always, habitually carried a pocket knife of some sort, whether I have a specific reason or not (a reason becomes apparent surprisingly often). The Leatherman is simply the most useful/ best compromise as a "daily carry" - and was purchased way before the relevant legislation was enacted.

Since I don't reckon "I always carry one in case it comes in handy" would satisfy plod, I have to remember to carry an alternative.

I seem to recall that Leatherman now do a non locking blade - yep, Leatherman Bond,

"The non-locking tools and 2.6" knife blade make the Bond a UK everyday legal carry multi-tool."

But I don't particularly want another knife or to splash another £55 odd. And, for most applications, a locked blade is safer.

I have a range of knives for specific purposes, some of which can't be carried without reason. It's just a nuisance to remember which is which.

It's a pity back-pedalling isn't an Olympic sport.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
That's funny, I was just looking at those cattle attack stats and reflecting that one is way more in danger crossing a field which contains cows than from certain other maritime hazards which are generating much heat elsewhere.
Back in my student days and early working life, I did field geology and geophysics. I wandered all over assorted bits of countryside, crossing fields to reach outcrops or the location of field crews. Of all the animals I encountered, two stood out as particularly evil - horse flies and cows. Horse flies (a.k.a. clegs in Scotland) live in bracken and walking through bracken inevitably disturbs them, and they promptly attack; if they connect their bite is painful.

Cows inevitably congregate near the gate you want to go through, converting the ground into a morass and making it impossible to reach the gate. There's always at least one awkward so and so that just won't move, and if they decide they're not moving, there isn't a lot you can do about it. Cows also have a fascination for orange multi strand cable as used in seismic lines, and will chew it if not discouraged. I spent at least one afternoon guarding a cable from a herd of heifers.

Of course, bulls are to be avoided whatever. They're reputed to be docile if with a herd of cows, but I don't fancy my chances if it decided I looked like competition. On their own, they are aggressive and to be avoided.

Thankfully neither are a hazard at sea!

Bristolfashion

Visit site
Back in my student days and early working life, I did field geology and geophysics. I wandered all over assorted bits of countryside, crossing fields to reach outcrops or the location of field crews. Of all the animals I encountered, two stood out as particularly evil - horse flies and cows. Horse flies (a.k.a. clegs in Scotland) live in bracken and walking through bracken inevitably disturbs them, and they promptly attack; if they connect their bite is painful.

Cows inevitably congregate near the gate you want to go through, converting the ground into a morass and making it impossible to reach the gate. There's always at least one awkward so and so that just won't move, and if they decide they're not moving, there isn't a lot you can do about it. Cows also have a fascination for orange multi strand cable as used in seismic lines, and will chew it if not discouraged. I spent at least one afternoon guarding a cable from a herd of heifers.

Of course, bulls are to be avoided whatever. They're reputed to be docile if with a herd of cows, but I don't fancy my chances if it decided I looked like competition. On their own, they are aggressive and to be avoided.

The dogs / cows thing is really worrying.

The stats I saw were 3 killed, 40 seriously injured and 37 lesser injuries a year. A high degree of under reporting is suspected.

There do seem to be a lot of "bull in field" signs around at the moment - with no sign of any bull (unless they are masters of stealth & concealment).

Bouba

Visit site

The bull deciding that you are a rival ....is far better than the bull thinking you are a cow

billskip

Visit site
The dogs / cows thing is really worrying.

The stats I saw were 3 killed, 40 seriously injured and 37 lesser injuries a year. A high degree of under reporting is suspected.

There do seem to be a lot of "bull in field" signs around at the moment - with no sign of any bull (unless they are masters of stealth & concealment).
1000006661.jpg