Knife ban

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
We had a similar discussion on a tradesmans forum a while back when a less strict version of this law was enacted.

If you have a legitimate use for a knife you are okay. so the knife hanging on a hook by your companionway in case of emergency should be okay, but you would have to have a very good reason if you then put that in your pocket and went to the pub with it.

In the context of tradesmen, the knif in your tool bab being carried from your van to the house where you are working is okay. Take the same knife with you on a walk down the street with no good reason and you could be in trouble.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Try walking up to an angry man with a sword and report back.

Not my job guv. Point is, we already have laws and they are clearly being flouted. I am sure the police involved in the clip I posted had tasers. That should cool their aggression I would have though. As the shot pans out you can see there are quite a few plod in attendance. What's the point if they are going to stand by and watch serious laws being broken.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I find the fact that my locking blade Leatherman multi tool is banned under the previous legislation more vexing.
I used to routinely carry one in it's pouch on my belt. I seldom used the knife but it was damned handy having a pair of pliers or a screwdriver anywhere you wanted one. That previous ban stopped me carrying a useful tool everywhere with me for fear of being criminalised.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I used to routinely carry one in it's pouch on my belt. I seldom used the knife but it was damned handy having a pair of pliers or a screwdriver anywhere you wanted one. That previous ban stopped me carrying a useful tool everywhere with me for fear of being criminalised.
Yep - I always seem to be snagging or splitting finger nails, so the scissors are very useful.

Whilst I understand why it's been criminalised, it's a bit annoying feeling that you're assumed to be guilty - and to have to change the habits of a lifetime.

Bouba

Visit site
Yep - I always seem to be snagging or splitting finger nails, so the scissors are very useful.

Whilst I understand why it's been criminalised, it's a bit annoying feeling that you're assumed to be guilty - and to have to change the habits of a lifetime.
This is the point made earlier.....a futile attempt to stop a violent segment of the population has criminalized us all

dunedin

Visit site
This is the point made earlier.....a futile attempt to stop a violent segment of the population has criminalized us all
No it hasn’t - many / most of us have never felt any need to carry a knife for whatever reason.

PS. A neighbour’s son was recently murdered in a public park in daytime by a random killer carrying a knife. Old guys on here moaning about losing the ability to carry a knife are losing a heck of a lot less than him and his family.

Bouba

Visit site
No it hasn’t - many / most of us have never felt any need to carry a knife for whatever reason.

PS. A neighbour’s son was recently murdered in a public park in daytime by a random killer carrying a knife. Old guys on here moaning about losing the ability to carry a knife are losing a heck of a lot less than him and his family.
I disagree....this law won’t stop the loss of life by random thugs nor gang members....but people like us can no longer carry a folding tool...which I have always found a use for in everyday life.
Comparing us to a criminal act...especially such a heinous one...is just repeating what the law is doing

dunedin

Visit site
I disagree....this law won’t stop the loss of life by random thugs nor gang members....but people like us can no longer carry a folding tool...which I have always found a use for in everyday life.
Comparing us to a criminal act...especially such a heinous one...is just repeating what the law is doing
It doesn’t impact French people like you anyway. But even if it did, i is hardly a material loss of liberty not carrying a knife compared to the loss of of life of the murdered son.