Keeping you posted.

New Boater

Visit site
Ha all,

Thanks so much for all the info you have given me so far. I was looking at a Sealine S28 and a Hardy 305 popped up in an advert.

Have switched over to that now as I love the fact that she has a hard top with a double sunroof and an open back. Best of both worlds I reckon and I do plan on not only going out when the Sun is shining.

Got myself on board one yesterday and really liked it. Really good value for money too at nearly half the price (probably two thirds) of the S28.

From what I could see she was built really well inside and out.

Anyone here have any experience or advice on the Hardy?

Cheers

nb

New Boater

Visit site
You should look at the Nimbus aswell
Hiya Seastoke

Looked very carefully at the nimbus. Lovely boat but a little tough to get on and off and my wife has a few minor mobility issues with her wrists so the walkthrough transom door and bathing platform is a must.

Lovely boat though thanks for the input. .

Gustywinds

Visit site
Nice choice! I looked at one as it was way cheaper than the other boats I’d looked at ( but also a lot older - it was a 1995 I think whereas the other boats I’d looked at were 2000-2003 and what I eventually bought is 2005) . I particularly liked how airy it felt, even in the downstairs galley.

New Boater

Visit site
Update.

Hi all,

Well it seems the deal is done.

After getting on board a Hardy 305 in Norfolk and liking the layout very much I have been to visit another one and signed on the dotted line.

The boat was out of the water so I was able to have a good look around inside and out.

The broker is super friendly and nothing has been too much trouble.

Deposit paid and a mechanical survey and hull survey to follow.

Very happy so far.

Updates to follow.

roa312

Visit site
Congratulations on your new boat! I don't have any experience with Hardy boats specifically, but I've sailed plenty on other boats with similar layouts, which are very popular in my cruising grounds.

One quick question regarding the deposit (which I'm sure is customary in the UK): Does that mean the broker will take the boat off the market until the surveys and other checks are completed? I assume you'll be covering the cost of the surveys and other expenses separately?

benjenbav

Visit site
Congratulations on your new boat! I don't have any experience with Hardy boats specifically, but I've sailed plenty on other boats with similar layouts, which are very popular in my cruising grounds.

One quick question regarding the deposit (which I'm sure is customary in the UK): Does that mean the broker will take the boat off the market until the surveys and other checks are completed? I assume you'll be covering the cost of the surveys and other expenses separately?
Standard ABYA (UK) contract terms are that you pay a deposit at the point the contract becomes legally binding on both parties. That contract is then usually conditional on survey and seatrial with mechanisms for addressing issues that are discovered, plus the possibility of rejection if these issues can’t be resolved within the framework of the contract.

It would be an unwise broker who continued marketing a boat that was already contracted to be sold to person A and distinctly not good for the seller if they find themselves in the position of having sold the boat twice.

Greg2

Visit site
The Hardy 305 is a nice boat. We looked very seriously at the larger Seawings 355 some years ago and it was a serious contender. We now have a very different type of Hardy 😁

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Standard ABYA (UK) contract terms are that you pay a deposit at the point the contract becomes legally binding on both parties. That contract is then usually conditional on survey and seatrial with mechanisms for addressing issues that are discovered, plus the possibility of rejection if these issues can’t be resolved within the framework of the contract.

It would be an unwise broker who continued marketing a boat that was already contracted to be sold to person A and distinctly not good for the seller if they find themselves in the position of having sold the boat twice.
Exactly so. I've just bought a used boat via a broker in the UK and the process in my case was, make offer; verbal agreement; pay small holding deposit; broker cancelled all remaining viewings; signature of sale and purchase agreement; boat formally marked as 'under offer'; pay 10% deposit; arrange and conduct survey and sea trial; post-survey price re-negotiation; sign agreement on revised terms; pay balance; receive Bill of Sale, all related paperwork and keys.

Broker was professional throughout and made the process pretty seamless.

New Boater

Visit site
Hi all,

All the above is correct apart from one difference. Because I was having to travel quite far to see the boat the the Broker reserved the boat for me when I gave him a date for the visit (without deposit)

Like I said before, the Broker has been amazing and nothing was too much trouble.

The whole experience so far has been amazing.

👍🏻🍺

Alicatt

Visit site
Looked at a few Hardys, very much liked them and the build quality was very good on all of them. However, with the B word happening buying a Hardy in the EU was almost a non starter as they don't come up for sale often though, and the extra costs of tax etc. would make the purchase of a UK vessel prohibitive and keeping a boat in the UK we would not get to use it very often. We did see a Pilot 18 at the weekend in Oud-Beijerland which is not far from where our new (to us) boat is.

First Ocean 37 we looked at was a private sale, the price was low and reflected the amount of work needed to bring her back up to scratch, second one was with a dealer and was a Broom Continental 37, it was better and they would have taken our old boat in part exchange, but it still needed a fair bit of work, plus the wife didn't like the galley. Third one was a private sale through a broker, we made an offer on her, the owner came back with a counter, that was the price that my wife and I had already decided was what we would like to pay for her, so that offer was accepted and when we paid the deposit she was marked under offer.

The second one we looked at was snapped up a few days after we looked at her, I know who the new owners are as well.

Paperwork is a nightmare, the previous owner said he would take the boat off the Dutch registry but he didn't, so a lot of time has been wasted in finding out he did not do it while he is on holiday in Spain, he has now done it and hopefully we can resolve the paperwork on Monday.

New Boater

Visit site
Yes of course, Castlemain and the guys name is Peter. He is the friendliest chap I have met in a long time, has kept a really nice balance of keeping mine and the sellers interest in check. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with him again or recommend him to anyone.

This is my first boat purchase and I told him as much right from the off and he has guided me through perfectly.

👍🏻

Other threads that may be of interest