Keeping a boat in Turkey, dangerous?

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
To the nay sayers, perhaps one should be really concerned about keeping a yacht in Turkey and as for using it, as a group your consensus seems to be it's not worth the risk.

As one poster mentioned, do you actually have any experience of the situation here or are these 'advisors' just armchair experts?

The reality is, nothing has materially changed in south west Turkey for at least the last ten years, save there are now parking restrictions as there are too many cars, because the people have discovered the miracle of debt!

We have lived near Marmaris for ten years and have run a business here for the last six. It is completely safe, we never even hear of theft or assaults. Small groups of males collecting on street corners at night have no agenda, they are just meeting with friends in what was once a normal manner in the UK. A simple and pleasant place to live much like the UK was 40-50 years ago.

We are responsible for 12 yachts and our owners and charter guests alike had no 'run ins' with Syrian refugees/immigrants last year. One owner travelled north this year and reported they saw nothing but EU patrol boats. Immigration this year is a trickle compared with last year. We have a Syrian family settled in the village and they and their children are charming, and have been helped by the locals in a lovely way.

The only tangible local effect of the migrant crisis is hotels, restaurants charter boats and related businesses are enjoying a catastrophic drop in business, possibly over 50%, and are closing down and/or culling staff. Add that to reduced prices because of competition and the situation is dire, many will go bankrupt this year (fortunately we won't as we had planned for it).

As another poster suggested, living in the UK during the Northern Ireland conflict with IRA bombings in London & Birmingham made absolutely no difference to our daily life, and this is how I would view the situation here. Diyabakir near the Syrian border where the conflict is, as the crow flies, is 450 miles away. As you can't carry guns and bombs on planes (which go via Istanbul anyway) it is 900 miles by road. Like driving from London to Venice

As one of our charterers said last year when asked for holiday feedback, he expressed "I'm more concerned about Muslim fundamentalism in the UK than here in Turkey". Yes, they are almost all Muslims, and are little different to the vast majority of people in the UK except by religion, and from what I have witnessed and experienced much more family minded, genuine and generous people. As has been said, women with too little clothing away from the beach need to accept some responsibility.

There are political issues here which are not ideal, but the UK can't profess to be whiter than white, for example, the disgraceful banking crisis and lack of government action thereafter, and every other corrupt officials story we hear reported about almost daily. Maybe that's not true either.

It is so disappointing to read from people spouting about something they have little or no direct knowledge of with an 'I'm all right Jack' attitude, perhaps based on religious prejudice or what they have heard from a politically driven media. As the man who came to our stand at London boat show said, he wouldn't come to the eastern Med because he didn't want to be sailing in waters with dead bodies floating by, and definitely wouldn't come to Turkey as its full of f***ing Muslims. Call ourselves a charitable Christian nation, we should be ashamed.

Then of course there is the weather. You'll be telling us it's snowing here next. LOL

Chris_Robb

Visit site
To the nay sayers, perhaps one should be really concerned about keeping a yacht in Turkey and as for using it, as a group your consensus seems to be it's not worth the risk.

As one poster mentioned, do you actually have any experience of the situation here or are these 'advisors' just armchair experts?

The reality is, nothing has materially changed in south west Turkey for at least the last ten years, save there are now parking restrictions as there are too many cars, because the people have discovered the miracle of debt!

We have lived near Marmaris for ten years and have run a business here for the last six. It is completely safe, we never even hear of theft or assaults. Small groups of males collecting on street corners at night have no agenda, they are just meeting with friends in what was once a normal manner in the UK. A simple and pleasant place to live much like the UK was 40-50 years ago.

We are responsible for 12 yachts and our owners and charter guests alike had no 'run ins' with Syrian refugees/immigrants last year. One owner travelled north this year and reported they saw nothing but EU patrol boats. Immigration this year is a trickle compared with last year. We have a Syrian family settled in the village and they and their children are charming, and have been helped by the locals in a lovely way.

The only tangible local effect of the migrant crisis is hotels, restaurants charter boats and related businesses are enjoying a catastrophic drop in business, possibly over 50%, and are closing down and/or culling staff. Add that to reduced prices because of competition and the situation is dire, many will go bankrupt this year (fortunately we won't as we had planned for it).

As another poster suggested, living in the UK during the Northern Ireland conflict with IRA bombings in London & Birmingham made absolutely no difference to our daily life, and this is how I would view the situation here. Diyabakir near the Syrian border where the conflict is, as the crow flies, is 450 miles away. As you can't carry guns and bombs on planes (which go via Istanbul anyway) it is 900 miles by road. Like driving from London to Venice

As one of our charterers said last year when asked for holiday feedback, he expressed "I'm more concerned about Muslim fundamentalism in the UK than here in Turkey". Yes, they are almost all Muslims, and are little different to the vast majority of people in the UK except by religion, and from what I have witnessed and experienced much more family minded, genuine and generous people. As has been said, women with too little clothing away from the beach need to accept some responsibility.

There are political issues here which are not ideal, but the UK can't profess to be whiter than white, for example, the disgraceful banking crisis and lack of government action thereafter, and every other corrupt officials story we hear reported about almost daily. Maybe that's not true either.

It is so disappointing to read from people spouting about something they have little or no direct knowledge of with an 'I'm all right Jack' attitude, perhaps based on religious prejudice or what they have heard from a politically driven media. As the man who came to our stand at London boat show said, he wouldn't come to the eastern Med because he didn't want to be sailing in waters with dead bodies floating by, and definitely wouldn't come to Turkey as its full of f***ing Muslims. Call ourselves a charitable Christian nation, we should be ashamed.

Then of course there is the weather. You'll be telling us it's snowing here next. LOL

Maxi - good post and to the point. We are certainly not abandoning Turkey - just trying to get old Al Dugan to finish a job properly!!!!!

OldBawley

Visit site
Sad to hear about the many bankrupts.

I was in Poros town this morning, town was bristling full. All hotel rooms rented. Not that many yachts, it is early in season.

It seems that tourists have chosen Greece over Turkey this year, meaning the refugee crisis has nothing to do with their choice.
Guess some president is going a bit to far lately.

I was anchored in front of the Marmaris promenade a few years ago.
Noticed some blue police lights on the promenade, thought some car accident.
Day after I heard It had been a “Terrorist attack”
Had to pick up my new passport from the consulate just behind the boulevard and saw the “Bombing site”. It was a boulevard trash can that had exploded. Probably a fire cracker.

So far for terror danger. Why do the Turkish media love to blow things out of proportion ?

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
Sad to hear about the many bankrupts.
Why do the Turkish media love to blow things out of proportion ?

Yes, it's sad but hasn't really kicked in yet, as they are all hoping it's not going to happen. The real problem will come next year. It's mostly european companies that have reacted with a knock on effect. e.g. Neilson have closed two of their four bases and moved the yachts to Greece. The only upside is it is going to be an excellent place to cruise, as it will be even quieter than normal.

Whilst the migrants issue will probably lose media interest this year, I fear the damage caused will last for several years yet, and that will really hurt.

Yes, they love to 'Rubber Neck'. If there is a car accident they all stop, get out of their cars and wander down to see the injured.

Fishlakechampion

Visit site
Hi,
I must whole heartedly agree with Maxi's Posts,
i too have lived and worked for a number of years in Turkey and must say that that unlike the UK, i am still to see Youngsters sitting on Corners smoking weed or crack pipes and verbally abusing the passers by who are minding their own business.

In reply to a comment regarding the Turkish Medias coverage approach the Attacks, this is mainly due to the fact that the currently elected party and the President are using the current attacks to their political advantage.
Turkey have an elected political wing of the PKK in Parliment and the ruling party are trying to change the constitution so as to enable them to impeach them and close the party down. This would then either give the ruling Party a ruling majority or force new elections which the ruling party would then gain the majority of seats.

Turkey has been a Secular state for 80 years and is one of the few Muslim countries that boasts places of worship for all religions in their city centres. What we are doing with un- educated and from the hip statements is allienating ourselves from the turkish general public.
Don't forget and for those of you who have been to turkey will know, that unlike the UK! A large percentage of the Turkish younger generation and those who work in the turism industry have a very good command of both the spoken and written English language.
Can you imagine how frustraing it is for them to see a daily barrage of scare mongering news and emails about their country.
The General poulation don't agree with what is being reported but are unable to effectively potrait the truth about the current situation in their country. Afterall life goes on as normal and they have no daily tragedy to report.

For those of you who havent been to Turkey I would like to point out a few facts
1. Police can enter the households of suspected terrorists without taking there shoes off and liasing previously with a Mulim Cleric or Represenetative.
2. The Police and Jandarma have the legal right to request that you present your passport or identity cards for identity checks at will.
3. The Police are not scared of repercussions if they are needed to thwart an attack or to tackkle a suspected terrorist.
4. Turkey dosen't have 100's of thousands of people playing the Religion Card.
5. Turkey has not yet lost its national identity although they have more diversified population & culture than the UK.
6. Turkey is a very friendly community and outsiders are immediately noticed in the local community. All communities have an active nehbourhood watch type system in place and beleieve me when I say that they are very diligent and accomplised at noticing something out of the ordinary.

Please bear in mind that turkey have allowed over 2,000,000 Syrians within its borders and although the attacks are very unfortunate and barbaric these have only been sporadic attacks with minimul casualties.
You will not have heard of the countless attacks that have been thwarted on the Media, afterall blood and gore is whats sells news.i believe this clearly proves that the Turkish Goverment / Police Force and the local community are actively being very dilligent and aim to thwart the attacks before they happen.

Sorry but I needed to voice my oppinion and can step down from my soapbox now.

Last edited:

westernman

www.devalk.nl

It does snow in Turkey. Lots.

Incidentally I can highly recommend flying business class with Turkish Airlines. Excellent flat beds (and long enough for my 1.94m) and very good service.

neil1967

Visit site
Looking forward to my trip in June - 3 weeks sailing from Orhanyie to Finike and back. I'm sure it will be as good as the previous 10 or 11 years we have been going there.

macd

Visit site
Any thoughts?

The rebellious elements having conveniently identified themselves and mostly been locked up, I daresay it will settle down to be as safe (or as dangerous) as before. How Erdogan reacts may have a bearing: Turkish democracy was already somewhat tenuous and further suppression is surely likely. Yet I imagine the effect on someone cruising around Gocek bay will be minimal.

The hideous events in France, both recent and last November, actually targetted civilians, unlike the coup. I'd have no compunction about visiting either country next week. Others may take a different view.

P.S. This is the latest frrom ABTA:
Following reports of an attempted military coup in Turkey, the situation remains fluid. Abta recommends that members of the public read and follow the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice and any advice or instructions issued by their travel provider or airline.

There has been no change to FCO advice regarding travel to Turkey and holiday programmes to the resort areas continue to operate.

The vast majority of British travellers to Turkey will fly directly to the beach resorts on Turkey’s south coast which are hundred of miles away from Istanbul and the capital Ankara.

Abta estimates there are currently 50,000 people on holiday with its members in Turkey. There is no indication that guests in the coastal resorts are affected.

P.P.S. Just heard from a family that flew today from London to Dalaman, and are now in a holiday villa in Kalkan. Evidently there was some delay in taking off (due to several late cancellations, for obvious reasons), but otherwise everything seems rosy: you wouldn't know anything had happened.

Last edited:

satsuma

Visit site
From what I understand, the "coup" I just as likely to have been staged by the incumbent president! He is desperately trying to become the sole executive power in turkey. I am personally not a great believer in conspiracy theories, but with this "staged" attempt, he effectively kills off any highpowered effective opposition, arrests any or all key opponents within the system (admin, military, civil servants etc) leaving him free to appoint his own replacements. He also diverts any and all bad press currently to the coup plotters, and having called for the public to take to the streets, will no doubt confirm his place as "the people's saviour" in what seems a lifetime attempt to eclipse Ataturk in the minds and hearts of the nation.
At the very least, all opposition will noiw be tied up in courts or arrested for the next 6 years!
Shouldn't affect others too much but it depends how radicalised this will become?

affinite

Visit site
This is another body blow for Turkey and the Turkish people. I love Turkey and have many Turkish friends however I feel I made the right decision to leave 3 weeks ago. (No chance of a coup in Greece is there !)

Chris_Robb

Visit site
This is another body blow for Turkey and the Turkish people. I love Turkey and have many Turkish friends however I feel I made the right decision to leave 3 weeks ago. (No chance of a coup in Greece is there !)
I flew back home on Thursday from Marmaris. I have just had an email from the marina following an initial email from me saying all is quiet now.

I have already contracted for next year so no decision till next April may time needed. We will be out again on September as planned.
Main worry will be If the reinsurers pull the plug on Turkey
I

satsuma

Visit site
I flew back home on Thursday from Marmaris. I have just had an email from the marina following an initial email from me saying all is quiet now.

I have already contracted for next year so no decision till next April may time needed. We will be out again on September as planned.
Main worry will be If the reinsurers pull the plug on Turkey
I
Literally just sailing passing kos, on my way to rhodes to check out of europe before heading into turkey. I'm not changing any plans at this time!

Tony Cross

Visit site
I would have thought that, even given the recent developments, keeping a boat in Turkey is no more dangerous than anywhere else. What is probably more important in Turkey now that tensions are running quite high, is to be careful where you go outside the tourist areas, be careful how you dress outside the tourist areas, be careful how you behave outside the tourist areas, and be very very careful of what you say in public - anywhere.