Keeping a boat in Turkey, dangerous?

Caladh

Visit site
When i say westerner of course its not just Westerners just a generalization!
I am from Yorkshire...So what !...Your point is?
roll on the EU referendum so we can all vote the hell out of Europe..and i believe the UK will i know many people that are voting OUT
Thank God well get our security back again not dictated by the likes of Mertle and all the other EU idiots giving free movement of terrorists in the Schengen Area ....who in her wisdom just made the situation worse inviting more.[even though there is a shortage of housing already here in Europe ]
Anyway i live in Yorkshire ...Your point being???
Have they won?...no but lifes going be dangerous here for decades [Paris,Belgium]even when Raqqa is taken back.
Anyway i live in Yorkshire ...Your point being???

Thread drift a little, but fortunately I know plenty of people who will vote to stay "In". It appears that we are little less vocal about it than the "Outs". I am rather glad that you wouldn't even "go out there".......If you think "our" security will be better if the UK leaves the EU I think you are mistaken IHHO.

There is so much more to discuss re. the EU referendum debate than just a perceived migrant and border control issue, which the Out campaign want to highlight.
By the way I'm searching out my cloth cap to come up to Doncaster for some weekend whippet racing. What's your point again ?

SchwarzBart

Visit site
Hi there!

I am a Turkish guy living in Istanbul.

You are perefctly safe in the southern/western parts of the country because there are less uneducated people there.
I would advise you to not leave that part though. Do not go inner parts unless you feel adventurous.

I am also aware of those "money money" guys and perverts in the western parts. Those greedy bast*rds are also a real pain in the *** to their own people. As a Turk myself, as much as i like Antalya and the other southern parts of Turkey, in order to not get overcharged, i sometimes prefer Greek Islands.

Turkey is getting more crowded in everyday. In order to strenghten their position as a ruling party, our (former) prime minister encourages people to have more kids. Now the ruling party has also taken millions of Syrian refugees in, i don't know, The future does not look so bright.

The nature and the sea is still beautiful though, i don't know how long it will last.

I hope you all have a nice time in Turkey without a problem.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
This summer, I, for one, wouldn't venture into the Eastern Med or leave a boat there unattended.

Why take a risk when you don't have to?

There seem to be bigger risks at present in western Europe than there are in the eastern Med. Having been in the Aegean for the past five years or so I don't perceive any new problems at all. What are the increased risks relating to unattended boats?

OldBawley

Visit site
What are the increased risks relating to unattended boats?

Two years ago an unattended yacht was stolen from the mooring field in Galata Poros Saronic.

The intention was to get out of the Poros lake, meet with a big cargo ship to take illegals on board and put them on land. The guys stealing the brand new sailing yacht had no clue of boating, overheated the engine and the yacht ended up in the rocks between Poros and Methana. Serious damage.

nortada

Visit site
There seem to be bigger risks at present in western Europe than there are in the eastern Med. Having been in the Aegean for the past five years or so I don't perceive any new problems at all. What are the increased risks relating to unattended boats?

Not too sure what the threat is to vessel & crews in Western European waters?

Wouldn't necessarily class the Aegean as Eastern Med.

Threat to unattended boat? Nicked, use for a one trip people trafficking, collect and then scuttle and go nick another one. Low overheads, high return business.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This summer, I, for one, wouldn't venture into the Eastern Med or leave a boat there unattended.

Not to be disrespectful to you , but on half of other cruisers who might be put off from going to Turkey because of comments here . ( not just yours ) May I ask ,
when was the last time you was in Turkey , what have you seen with your know eyes to make you think Turkey is less safer then any where in the Med and what have you read other then bombs then gone off In land well away from the coast .
Regarding someone walking into a Marina and stealing your boat , have you try walking into some where like netsel Marina , you can't even get to the chandlers with being given the five degree .
As far as risks goes , every time we step on the boat we all take a risk , life would be so boring without risk .

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
Not too sure what the threat is to vessel & crews in Western European waters?

Wouldn't necessarily class the Aegean as Eastern Med.

Threat to unattended boat? Nicked, use for a one trip people trafficking, collect and then scuttle and go nick another one. Low overheads, high return business.

Clearly you do not understand the geography of the Eastern Med ,the manner in which boats are left unattended or how refugees are transferred across the waters of the Aegean and the recent changed circumstances.

As sailaboutvic kindly put it , its presumably another April Fools joke

Tony Cross

Visit site

This is a bit like advising someone not to visit Washington DC because it's the murder capital of the USA (or is it Philadelphia now?). Sure, there are parts of DC (and Philly) into which you'd be most unwise to venture but there are a great many wonderful places to visit and sights to see there, so the sensible thing to do is to visit but be aware of the areas you should stay away from.

The Eastern Med is exactly the same.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
This is a bit like advising someone not to visit Washington DC because it's the murder capital of the USA (or is it Philadelphia now?). Sure, there are parts of DC (and Philly) into which you'd be most unwise to venture but there are a great many wonderful places to visit and sights to see there, so the sensible thing to do is to visit but be aware of the areas you should stay away from.

The Eastern Med is exactly the same.

This was published on Marmaris Bay cruising web site.

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/03/...c-military-families-to-leave-southern-turkey/

It seems that the Americans don't want to have families round their necks to compromise their effectiveness should shit happen.

Its not going to alter my plans even though Mugla province is one of the 3 areas to be evacuated, but it will further bugger up Turkeys already bad 2016 tourist season.

nortada

Visit site
Clearly you do not understand the geography of the Eastern Med ,the manner in which boats are left unattended or how refugees are transferred across the waters of the Aegean and the recent changed circumstances.

As sailaboutvic kindly put it , its presumably another April Fools joke

I beg to differ. Having operated out of Akrotiri for a number of years, I suspect my knowledge of the geography of the Med is equal to most and better than many.

To be absolutely clear the Aegean is the Aegaen and the Eastern Med the Eastern Med - different sea zones.

Whatever, this makes no difference to the basic debate. Are either areas safe for boats and crews?

It is little surprise that those who have made the decision to remain in a potential war zone seek to justify it.

'Heads in the sand' comes to mind. Then - "Oh My God, somebody do something".

Unfortunately, time may very well tell.

Last edited:

akyaka

Visit site
To be absolutely clear the Aegean is the Aegaen and the Eastern Med the Eastern Med - different sea zones.

Yes and both border the Turkish coast as I am aware living on the cusp between the two. Nowhere is absolutely safe but I am conscious that the main sailing grounds are effectively as far away from Istanbul, Ankara and the Syrian border as for example the southern coast of France is from Paris/Brussels. Do I personally feel safer than when I was working 200m from the bomb that devastated Manchester , the answer is yes. We each have to make our choice but mine is a considered one and not merely conjecture.

Last edited:

truscott

Visit site
We have wintered in Turkey this year, and I can say other than the odd post on here trying to talk up Turkey as an unsafe destination, it has been a wonderful experience. We've done the odd road trip as well as spending some time sailing and have felt perfectly safe. But then.... we have probably come at this with a different perspective to the "sky is falling, we're doomed!" types, having lived in the Middle East for the last 20 odd years, including having Al Qaeda attack the compound next door killing 27 people (or possibly more depending on who you believe) as well as experiencing the Anti-government protests in Bahrain and the subsequent crack down on the local Shia with all the pop-up riots and fiery roadblocks.

In that time, the UK has had a number of incidents, not to mention the US, France, Spain etc.... This doesn't seem to have had the effect of everyone leaving any of those places, or posting huge amounts of codswollop on internet forums about how "unsafe" these places are!

Turkey and Greece are getting ready for the summer and some of the posters on here may decide not to sail here because of their fears for their safety. That's a sad thing for all concerned. However, actively trying to promote the areas as unsafe without actually being here, is just sad. Surely those of you who are doing this have better things to do with your lives?

Come, or don't come. Makes no difference to me. I'll still be enjoying myself. Perhaps even right up until it's suddenly over. :)

PT

nortada

Visit site
Yes and both border the Turkish coast as I am aware living on the cusp between the two. Nowhere is absolutely safe but I am conscious that the main sailing grounds are effectively as far away from Istanbul, Ankara and the Syrian border as for example the southern coast of France is from Paris/Brussels. Do I personally feel safer than when I was working 200m from the bomb that devastated Manchester , the answer is yes. We each have to make our choice but mine is a considered one and not merely conjecture.

Fair points.

I sincerely hope it just remains conjecture.

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Remember when I first worked in the middle east a few years ago some family and friends were worried. Tried to explain to them how big the middle east is and that most of it is safe, but they just couldn't get their heads around it.

macd

Visit site
Remember when I first worked in the middle east a few years ago some family and friends were worried. Tried to explain to them how big the middle east is and that most of it is safe, but they just couldn't get their heads around it.

Nearer to home, a couple of years ago there were worries here about safety in SW Turkey after the kerfuffle when riot police had a set-to with demonstrators in an Istanbul park. I suggested that they should be exactly as worried as they might have been sailing on the Hamble during the Toxteth riots. People seem to have very disproportionate attitudes to risk.

As for SW Turkey being a 'potential war zone'...well, isn't anywhere, just as everyone on here is a potential bomber? Meaningless.