Keeping a boat in Turkey, dangerous?

macd

Visit site
Current advice from the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office (not a body prone to rash judgements):
In Ankara and Istanbul we advise you to avoid public places, in particular demonstrations, and remain vigilant. Take sensible precautions if you are in the vicinity of any military or security forces. Roadblocks are in place in some areas.

The coastal resorts do not appear to be significantly affected at present. You should check with your airline or tour operator before travelling to the airport. Continue to exercise vigilance in resort areas.

Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. It’s generally safe to travel but you should take additional safety precautions. You should be alert to your surroundings and remain vigilant in crowded places popular with tourists.

(It goes on to warn about obvious hot-spots, such as Kurdish areas and near the Syrian frontier. So no change there, then.)

affinite

Visit site
Fair enough, but may I ask what you fear you might have been at risk of had you stayed?

The actual risk of any harm coming to me, my family or my boat is of course very,very small.
I probably have more chance of injury by slipping on the companionway steps than being injured on the streets of Turkey however that's not the point.
Of course its irrational but my family feel uncomfortable taking holidays there while Turkey is still on the front line of the refugee crisis and The President is encouraging the citizens to remain on the streets to prevent another coup attempt.
Ive supported the Turkish economy in a small way for the past 4 years and will no doubt do so again in future but just not right now. Time to lend Greece a hand for a while.

satsuma

Visit site
Let us know how it goes

To be honest, all went well, or as well as was ever usual in Turkey!
Checked out of Greece, landed in Kas late in the evening. Didn't get around to reporting to the police until early afternoon without any issue, aside from that, the harbourmaster is a complete idiot and insisted on the gross and net tonnage values, but I insisted they were irrelevant and gave him displacement instead! (might have even called him an idiot a few times)! Still, all done and dusted, and checked into Turkey.

The situation here currently is relatively stable, it seems either the coup was arranged by the current government, or it was the worst, most badly thought out military coup in the history of military coups! The government has now taken the step of investigating people who suggest this was the work of the government!

The country is now in a state of emergency for at least 3 months, which means that normal democratic rule is suspended, and now the president has a bigger say in running the country, laws can be changed without an act of parliament! At the same time, the country has suspended the human rights act and is discussing the reintroduction of the death penalty!

Lots of protests on the street (mostly at the weekends), protesting the "attempted coup", whereas previously any protest (being against the government) was banned with excessive use of force usually.

Despite the domestic unrest and reorganising of the country, it's organisations and institutions, (lost count of the thousands of people now arrested!!) I cannot seriously believe that there would be any risk to foreigners or their vessels at this time. Certainly no more risk than being in France or Germany, or even in the UK for that matter!

I would suggest a wary eye on the future though, depending on the progress of this presidents ambitions!

STILL AFLOAT

Visit site
Fair enough, but may I ask what you fear you might have been at risk of had you stayed?
Perhaps detained as a SPY, or just burned at the stake, for being a Non Muzz ?
Would you take the risk ? ? Considering Erdogan's purges ?
Oh, of course ! We cannot mention the Muzlms !

Last edited:

Norman_E

Visit site
Only change appears to be that you must now have your passport with you at all times. No more leaving it on the boat when you walk around the town, as you can now be fined if you cannot produce it on demand. Turks have to carry their identity papers. This will be the case as long as the State of Emergency lasts.

macd

Visit site
Only change appears to be that you must now have your passport with you at all times. No more leaving it on the boat when you walk around the town, as you can now be fined if you cannot produce it on demand. Turks have to carry their identity papers. This will be the case as long as the State of Emergency lasts.

That's nothing new, has not changed with the state of emergency, and is also the case in many other countries. More countries have compulsory ID cards than not, some require them to be carried at all times, some not. Even in those where local citizens are not required to carry them, having proof of identity on your person may be mandatory for foreigners.

Last week the FCO issued a travel warning about UK citizens carrying ID docs in Turkey, but it was in fact only a reminder, issued because there will inevitably be more identity checks in everyday Turkish life. Brits are often a bit slack at carrying ID since there's no such requirement in the UK (and in only a handful or so of other countries).

Of other European countries most frequented by yachtsmen, I believe that only Spain and Belgium require ID to be carried at all times, although in other countries different requirements may apply to foreigners.

Last edited:

Resolution

Visit site
Reports in The Times today that the coastguard has been closely linked with the attempted coup, and that its control has been passed over to the Interior Ministry (ie alongside the police). Does this have implications for us on the water in Turkey? Any of you guys out there at the moment been stopped etc by any coastguards?

A second article in The Times suggested that the refugee agreement with Germany was coming unravelled and that the flow of refugees to Greece might resume any time.
Peter

satsuma

Visit site
Reports in The Times today that the coastguard has been closely linked with the attempted coup, and that its control has been passed over to the Interior Ministry (ie alongside the police). Does this have implications for us on the water in Turkey? Any of you guys out there at the moment been stopped etc by any coastguards?

A second article in The Times suggested that the refugee agreement with Germany was coming unravelled and that the flow of refugees to Greece might resume any time.
Peter

As far as reports go here, the Coastguard were the least involved of all the military branches, and control is still currently through military channels, including personnel. There is a meeting scheduled to start today, to discuss restructure and reorganisation of the military, though quite how the times would know the outcome of that is beyond me?
It is difficult to understand quite how any change of reporting lines could possibly affect either domestic or foreign yachts/people? It will still be the same coastguard personnel patrolling, and under the same rules and operational procedures (currently).
Apart from seeing the CG in harbour, I haven't seen any evidence of them on the water or in very much activity!

With regard to the refugee agreement, it has been raised before in Turkey. Since Turkey has chosen to suspend human rights, and is discussing reintroduction of the death penalty, it would be difficult to see how any european court could return any refugees to Turkey, without guarantees of human rights and treatment. That being the case, probably easy to see the agreement falling apart!

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
We live here year around and run our charter company near Marmaris, so I think we are well qualified to respond.

The reality on the ground here is:

Because of approx. 20 soldiers on the run following the presidential attack the night of the coup, there is heightened security both on and off the water whilst they are found. I believe 7 were apprehended in Cetibeli, the main pinch point coming onto the Datca peninsula.

The coastguard are stopping every yacht they come into contact with (some more than once a day). All clients have said how polite they were and had explained to them they should not be worried. We know for Turkish yachts and owners they are asking more questions, we think as part of a campaign to reduce or remove the USA Delaware flagged yachts (it allows Turks to avoid paying VAT for USA flagged but Turkish owned yachts).

The Coastguard (Sahil Guvenlik) and the Jandarma have now come under government not military control, presumably to further allow the government not the military to manage the country.

Beyond that the only difference here is fewer tourists as a result of the western media scaremongering. I saw yet another newspaper column yesterday about the FCO's updated advice, which has not changed for years other than to mention the attempted coup.

Whilst there are clearly some very bad people out there, and life in Turkey is not as free as in Europe, it is both sad and frustrating that so much nonsense is being spread about terror and Muslims in Muslim countries, to sell a few newspapers.

Homegrown Muslims demonstrating on the streets of Luton recently simply beggars belief. It would simply not be tolerated here in Turkey. The UK need to focus on the real problems and get a hold of the situation.

https://youtu.be/wSsCCx2pVXo

I know where I feel safer, sadly.

To directly answer the question posed. there is absolutely no reason why it would be dangerous to keep or leave a yacht in Turkey. Absolutely not, we have many owners in our charter and gardienage fleets who do just that.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
We live here year around and run our charter company near Marmaris, so I think we are well qualified to respond.

The reality on the ground here is:

Because of approx. 20 soldiers on the run following the presidential attack the night of the coup, there is heightened security both on and off the water whilst they are found. I believe 7 were apprehended in Cetibeli, the main pinch point coming onto the Datca peninsula.

The coastguard are stopping every yacht they come into contact with (some more than once a day). All clients have said how polite they were and had explained to them they should not be worried. We know for Turkish yachts and owners they are asking more questions, we think as part of a campaign to reduce or remove the USA Delaware flagged yachts (it allows Turks to avoid paying VAT for USA flagged but Turkish owned yachts).

The Coastguard (Sahil Guvenlik) and the Jandarma have now come under government not military control, presumably to further allow the government not the military to manage the country.

Beyond that the only difference here is fewer tourists as a result of the western media scaremongering. I saw yet another newspaper column yesterday about the FCO's updated advice, which has not changed for years other than to mention the attempted coup.

Whilst there are clearly some very bad people out there, and life in Turkey is not as free as in Europe, it is both sad and frustrating that so much nonsense is being spread about terror and Muslims in Muslim countries, to sell a few newspapers.

Homegrown Muslims demonstrating on the streets of Luton recently simply beggars belief. It would simply not be tolerated here in Turkey. The UK need to focus on the real problems and get a hold of the situation.

https://youtu.be/wSsCCx2pVXo

I know where I feel safer, sadly.

To directly answer the question posed. there is absolutely no reason why it would be dangerous to keep or leave a yacht in Turkey. Absolutely not, we have many owners in our charter and gardienage fleets who do just that.

Maxy - thanks for the comprehensive update. We are due out again in September to Yacht Marine.

Its about time that the Delaware flags were clamped down on.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I'm sorry but I have to comment on a very small part of an otherwise very balanced and informative post. The bit I have a problem with is this bit:

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are not important to you then? You seem proud of the 'It would simply not be tolerated here in Turkey' sentence. Please tell me you don't think that's a good thing?

maxy

www.perfect-sailing.com
I'm sorry but I have to comment on a very small part of an otherwise very balanced and informative post. The bit I have a problem with is this bit:

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression are not important to you then? You seem proud of the 'It would simply not be tolerated here in Turkey' sentence. Please tell me you don't think that's a good thing?

Hi Tony

I'm sorry you take exception to what I wrote, it wasn't designed to be provocative to anyone. It simply appalls me how the UK press can deride one nation whilst appearing to ignore worse on their own front step.

On the contrary, I have no problem with freedom of speech or expression, it's an expected part of our culture, and what allows us to debate here.

You know as well as I do Tony, this would not be tolerated in Turkey. The President even wants to prosecute people who make fun of him (consider the german comedian). If you watch the video, it shows that the demonstrators don't wish to offer those self same rights to others either, and Sharia law is all they will obey. These are English people.

As you know we have lived in Turkey for ten years now, in a muslim state, and that is simply not an issue or problem on a daily basis, the locals are lovely and generous and of course almost all Muslim. They would, I am sure, be just as outraged at the lack of respect.

regards

Kevin

akyaka

Visit site
I agree with Maxy. Yes we have increased activity here in in the Gulf of Gokova with the coastguard stopping and searching every boat and 4 have been caught in our village the latest two this morning. This is a summer holiday resort for mainly Turks and even with these events life goes on as normal; between us and Marmaris there are two police checkpoints both coming out from Marmaris and both have photos of who they are seeking and just wave you through.