Kad32 oil leak

fuzzy748

Visit site
Hi all, we have a Kad32 engine in our Fairline Targa 29 which is dumping oil into the bilge when under load, probably a few litres on a run of less than 5 minutes, we’ve been round it with mirrors and torches and for the life of me I can’t see where it’s coming from , the sides of the block appear dry and so does the sump, the amount of oil in the bilge I’d expect to see oil everywhere on the engine but when we stop you can’t see a drip anywhere,
The oil pressure gauge does go up in pressure and flick around at the odd time but never drops below running pressure
We’re cleaning the bilge today and topping up oil ready for another short run on Friday and this time we’re hopefully mounting a camera low in the bilge, any ideas anyone??

Scubadoo

Visit site
The breather pipe on the rocker cover?(not sure it would dump several litres though). Was the oil level below the max mark on the dip stick before running the engine?

Scarron

Visit site
You could be unlucky and the crankshaft main seal is leaking [aft end,behind the flywheel] and it's dripping out of the bottom of the flywheel/bell-housing. It would be engine out to fix that.

SC35

Visit site
The oil could be coming from any number of places, pipes to oil coolers, oil pipes to turbo, it's unlikely the crankshaft main seal would produce that volume of oil in such a short time.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I’d suspect the oil cooler is corroded on the housing , it’s well hidden on a kad 32 ,
Do you have a crank case filter?
If so there’s a blow off valve that can leak or the oil return pipe to the sump

fuzzy748

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies, I’ve finally found it 👍, it’s the end cap on the oil filter housing ( under the oil cooler) looks like it may have corroded, just in the process of removing the unit and will confirm the fault but it’s definitely leaking from there , also is the heat exchanger a serviceable item, ie can the core be removed, it seems to be swaged together as one sealed unit apart from the end cap
Thanks again

Plum

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies, I’ve finally found it 👍, it’s the end cap on the oil filter housing ( under the oil cooler) looks like it may have corroded, just in the process of removing the unit and will confirm the fault but it’s definitely leaking from there , also is the heat exchanger a serviceable item, ie can the core be removed, it seems to be swaged together as one sealed unit apart from the end cap
Thanks again
Assuming you mean the coolant heat exchanger then this video should help
not exactly the same engine as yours but same heat exchanger construction.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Thought it might be the oil cooler , the end cap does not corrode it’s the aluminium housing which means a complete cooler as it’s not available as a separate part unfortunately