Just pictures

Wansworth

Visit site
Gets a mention
Bracing winter walk, beside Oare Creek, today. I love it in there.....

10.JPG

1.JPG

4.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

gets a mention in the book Ataste for sailing by John Lewis

Leighb

Visit site
Is the water there salt or brackish? It's pretty impressive if it's fully salt water - seawater rarely freezes round the UK.
I think it must be a bit brackish, I haven't personally tasted it! The Tide Mill Pond froze right across the other night as has the Marina in the past.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
I would guess the river is less salty than usual at the moment. Even though it’s been dry for a while there’s still a greater flow of fresh water flowing past Melton and Woodbridge than usual.
For a week or so early last month it was astonishing - for several days the direction of flow at Melton was downriver at all states of tide.

Frayed Knot

Visit site
The Moon was in conjunction with Jupiter last night, rather beautifully. This is obviously a bad omen. Somewhere, volcanoes will erupt, maidens will be deflowered, anchors will drag, and EVs will run out of juice.
View attachment 170928
Lovely moon-pic!
All of those are possible, but good luck finding maidens around here.

Black Diamond

Visit site
The Moon was in conjunction with Jupiter last night, rather beautifully. This is obviously a bad omen. Somewhere, volcanoes will erupt, maidens will be deflowered, anchors will drag, and EVs will run out of juice.
View attachment 170928
I had the same wow moment last evening, and stood awhile to see if it moved (Like Robin the Caveman in 'Ghosts', I thought it was the International Space Station)

14K478

Visit site
These are from Florida, courtesy of a friend whose day job is on the other side of the camera.
she owns the Crocs. Have suggested that they may not be the ideal colour for these parts.

Attachments

• 0b96b803-bad3-46ce-9e50-52c75f22bb8c.jpeg
    0b96b803-bad3-46ce-9e50-52c75f22bb8c.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

14K478

Visit site
There used to be a pub in Sawbridgeworth called 'The Good Intent'. The pub sign showed a young woman waving goodbye to her man who is going to sea in a boat. I'm not sure if the pub is still there.
This is the “Good Intent” that I had in mind.

Good Intent – C.S.P.S

There is a story that she was laid aside in the Twenties because the deck was rotten and it had spread to the beam shelf, but when Puttifer looked at her he saw the rest of her was fine so he sawed round one strake down and built a new beam shelf, clamp, and beams and a new deck, fitted a house and sold her as a yacht. Originally clinker built, doubled before that time, single planked by Frank when he rebuilt her.

MikeBz

Visit site
At one time she was owned by the landlord of the Ship pub in Blaxhall (a Dutchman ISTR). I think the pub has since changed hands, not sure whether the bawley has as well.