Just pictures

Aquaboy

Visit site
I sail alone so camera on auto (a basic digital) and its why its always calm in my pics. Then I use snipping tool to make the file small enough to upload so quality drops.

johnalison

Visit site
I sail alone so camera on auto (a basic digital) and its why its always calm in my pics. Then I use snipping tool to make the file small enough to upload so quality drops.
That's fine as long as you are happy, but you might like to do a little adjustment. Some auto modes will allow you to do this, though not on my 'toy' Canon. I have taken the liberty of partly adjusting your shot of Wivenhoe, because I live there. If you look at the histogram below, you will see a gap on the left, showing that blacks are being given as greys, and on the right a column where all the highlights have piled up and information is lost. If you look at #135 you can see how good the lifeboat's wake looks with all its tones.
index_005.jpgUntitled-1.jpg

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
You can do that with a “water tractor” tug. She is the stern tug; she makes fast and the ship tows her to the point where she is wanted. Since a water tractor, unlike a conventional tug cannot be “girted” and capsized, it’s perfectly safe, and when instructed by the Pilot she can immediately apply power in any direction.

Habebty

Visit site
You can do that with a “water tractor” tug. She is the stern tug; she makes fast and the ship tows her to the point where she is wanted. Since a water tractor, unlike a conventional tug cannot be “girted” and capsized, it’s perfectly safe, and when instructed by the Pilot she can immediately apply power in any direction.
Thanks for that, I did wonder!

Tomahawk

Visit site

What stops her from girting?
Pull sideways and surely she will go over?

OK the master can apply lots of power towards the tow and take the strain off the line at the turn of a dial but does that necessarily make girting impossible?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
What stops her from girting?
Pull sideways and surely she will go over?

OK the master can apply lots of power towards the tow and take the strain off the line at the turn of a dial but does that necessarily make girting impossible?

Position of the hook. A single or twin screw conventional tug must have her hook (or winch if she’s a seagoing tug) roughly amidships so she can alter course when towing. A water tractor can have the hook well aft or well forward (it doesn’t matter - she can exert her full bollard pull in any direction) so that an unfair load will make her swing into line with it.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Conventional tugs usually tow with a pivoting hook mounted on the centre line. This was brought in to reduce capsize risk. As the tow gets out of line so the hook swings to the side which tends to lift that side of the tug and counteracts the heeling especially if the bow of the ship is much higher.

Tractor tugs tow on a winch which is controlled from the Bridge so they can constantly adjust the pull and let go if things go haywire.......which they do......tug hook.PNG