Just pictures

johnalison

Visit site
Drat I forgot to change the file name. It is Southend Pier. All you from the Orwell, Blackwater, etc. probaly never normally see it.
I went there once, in about 1954. We took the tube to the end of the pier and spent the afternoon in the Kursaal, which was brilliant, and far better than Battersea funfair, which had become a bit sleazy by then. My chief memory is of the (real) water-splash, and the crooked house.

Denek

Visit site
It has long been a wish of mine to get a photo of our boat under way but this is difficult when you are on board and so I have started building a web site with the idea of owners being able to send photos of other peoples boats. The idea being that the owner could request them.
no charge or anything just for fun really. I have spent our last couple of sailing trips taking photos and am currently putting the site together. Nothing fancy as I am not a professional. hopefully someone will take a photo of mine?
what do you think of the idea?
any suggestions appreciated

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
There used to be a website - yourboatpix - which I think was maintained by a member of the forum.

It was popular for quite some time before eventualy suffering from a progressive drop in new content and no longer seems to exist.

Tomahawk

Visit site
The photo in #109 really does show how much shipping has changed over the past century.

Melissa was a working ship this time last century. Yet fully loaded she wouldn’t register a change on the waterline of that container monster.

michael_w

Visit site
A Thames barge was the equivalent of Ford Transit, the Evergreen ship's forerunner would have been a 4 masted barque.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Back in the 1980s the GPO, as it then was, announced that “in real terms”, the cost of posting a letter for next day delivery had not increased since the Penny Black.

I was impressed, and sat down to see what had happened to the freight on a ton of cargo from Shanghai to London in that time, using the GPO’s calculation of the inflation rate.

I found that the freight rate on a ton of cargo from Shanghai to London in 1989 was one per cent of the rate in 1841, in real terms.

Corribee Boy

Visit site
You'll have to excuse the quality of this image: it was taken by my daughter using an Iphone with a broken screen. Personally I think it gives it atmosphere, like an oil painting.

it's taken over the counter of Transcur, leading the pack down the Stour in the Two River's race a few years back and I think it conveys a little of thetwo rivers.jpg excitement of the chase.