Just completed my first channel crossing!

Daydream believer

Visit site
I would have thought you are required to check-out with border control before departing the UK.
Does my link not say that? It has been widely reported in forums, yachting press, internet, yacht clubs, even Youtube & the RYA for ages I expect there is stuff on Facebook, but not being a facebook user I do not know. Quite frankly I find it odd that someone can go cross channel without knowing, or even bothering to check first.

dunedin

Visit site
It does. Never seen that info before

. “Quite frankly I find it odd that someone can go cross channel without knowing, or even bothering to check first.”

probably the difference between a day dreamer and a doer.
That’s a bit unfair. Particularly when so many people on here have been supportive of your first crossing.
Many of these on here have DONE massively more crossings, of the Channel and much bigger patches of blue water.
But most have also noted that the UK travel requirements to from Europe changed radically post Brexit and researched accordingly. Or have I misinterpreted your post and you are classifying yourself as the “day dreamer”?

jaminb

Visit site
Apologies Day Dreamer in my tired and cross with myself state I found your comment sanctimonious but you were of course quite right. Poor planning on my part and still a lot to learn. Sorry.

Daydream believer

Visit site
probably the difference between a day dreamer and a doer.
If that was aimed at me--
This day dreamer was doing it back in the early 70s & like many on this forum I have clocked up just over 250 crossings. -Half SH-. But I did not have a forum to ask how, nor did I have GPS etc that you probably had for your "epic" voyage.:(
I will always remember the thrill of the first trip & I expect that you will also. Every trip is different. But one will learn & quickly, that preparation is vital

But do you know what? I asked a few questions from people in the yacht club, about what was needed when I got there & what was the proceedure when I got back. I did some research first. It just seemed the sensible thing to do, :unsure:
50+ years later that rule still applies

Off again friday, for 6/7 weeks. :D

Last edited:

jaminb

Visit site
Thanks for your concerns. Safely back in uk waters. I rang Border force and made a grovelling apology.

Tried to make Portland today from Southampton - completely messed up my tides and got battered trying to round St Albans Head - currently soothing my wounds with pizza and wine on an Eco Buoy in Studlands.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Great to read your adventures jaminb. This forum needs the first timers just as much as it needs those who have done it many times .....I have learned a lot here and sharing issues has been really helpful. I'm on a first time trip and have made it to Cornwall...ybw threads influenced my appreciation of Keyhaven, St Albans head, Weymouth, Portland Bill and crossing Lyme Bay, even down to finding Cargreen yacht club up the Tamar. Have not yet convinced my wife we can cross the channel but it is getting closer, and it's good to read threads written more recently....this one will crop up come the time 🙂

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Thanks for your concerns. Safely back in uk waters. I rang Border force and made a grovelling apology.

Tried to make Portland today from Southampton - completely messed up my tides and got battered trying to round St Albans Head - currently soothing my wounds with pizza and wine on an Eco Buoy in Studlands.
PS How far out round St Albans Head were you? Seems some people are quite complacent and charge straight through while others are a lot more cautious. We put a way point in 5 miles south of it this time (and motorsailed to it)which allowed a nice wind angle to Weymouth. Last year I motored in flat and windles conditions very close in.

ashtead

Visit site
I think DZB is about 3-4 miles off St AH on navionics and tend to head for that area but we did whensomewhat younger and newer in flat calm travel through at some speed under motor closer in . An old pilot book by Tom C is useful on board and an old copy at home or just copy the relevant sections. I don’t recall what he says on topic though.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
I think DZB is about 3-4 miles off St AH on navionics and tend to head for that area but we did whensomewhat younger and newer in flat calm travel through at some speed under motor closer in . An old pilot book by Tom C is useful on board and an old copy at home or just copy the relevant sections. I don’t recall what he says on topic though.
Yes 100 % correct. My old Cunliffe and Navionics DZB give 3 miles off. My Fishwick I shall check. I may have put my way point in so I could determine when to stop motorsailing into the south westerly. Does the DZ stand for anything? ( Presumably Danger zone)

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Two choices for rounding St Albans. Well off - 4miles or so is my waypoint or close in. The former is easiest and safest on passage, particularly to/from the Solent but inshore is better if you want to do the sightseeing bit close in along the coast and/or fancy a stop in Chapmans Pool

jaminb

Visit site
I was too close in having come from Studlands where I sheltered for some poor visibility. I think I set off too early and the tide had not turned as when I went back to Studlands I had 2 knots of tide against me off Swanage and had to motor back to the buoys. All very frustrating but my own fault - should have left from Yarmouth and had a full 6 hours of tide with me rather than ’wasting it’ getting down the Solent!

johnalison

Visit site
We came through once and were met by a wall of water, or rather a series of walls. I think we were motoring, so I just slowed to a couple of knots and let the tide take us through. Much more fun than a funfair ride.

Rustyknight

Visit site
Many moons ago, when on a Sadler 29 at the start of the day skipper course, it was my duty to navigate from Poole to Chapmans Pool. My only experience of sailing was a one weekend "introduction", a week crossing the channel doing the competant crew course, and shorebased comp crew and day skipper.

Below at the chart table after passing Peveril Ledge I had to rush up and feed the fish, the first and last time in 20 years!

We did manage to anchor safely in Chapmans Pool, and whilst relaxing with coffee and biscuits were treated to the sight of the training yacht "Helen Mary R" coming into the pool, to anchor too maybe?

This didn't go well though, as she came to an abrut stop.... having either found a large rock, or the sea floor.

After much rushing around on her deck, she eventually managed to turn round and headed for the open sea, and perhaps a nicer place.