JPK 39FC

Numbers

Visit site
A few YouTube channels have recently purchased new yachts (Wynns and a new HH, Tula's a Seawind, Ruby Rose another Seawind? ... ) and they have all done many videos about the "Warranty claims" ... and saying how normal it is to have lots of warranty issues.

Is this a real thing? Do all new boats always have lots of warranty issues?

Doris ... what are your expectations in that regards. I think I recall you mentioning you'd do a shake down cruise, but I also recall you;d be taking her home pretty quickly.

JPK have built lots of 39FC's by now ... surely the process is well travelled with limited problems?

What are you expecting to have issues with and how long will it take to have issues show up?

(the 39FC Photon Infinity had some Autopilot issues and some B&G items were installed with silicone ... not sure of any issues with the 39FC called Cyclops ... both are on YouTube)

flaming

Visit site
A few YouTube channels have recently purchased new yachts (Wynns and a new HH, Tula's a Seawind, Ruby Rose another Seawind? ... ) and they have all done many videos about the "Warranty claims" ... and saying how normal it is to have lots of warranty issues.

Doris ... what are your expectations in that regards. I think I recall you mentioning you'd do a shake down cruise, but I also recall you;d be taking her home pretty quickly.

JPK have built lots of 39FC's by now ... surely the process is well travelled with limited problems?

What are you expecting to have issues with and how long will it take to have issues show up?

(the 39FC Photon Infinity had some Autopilot issues and some B&G items were installed with silicone ... not sure of any issues with the 39FC called Cyclops ... both are on YouTube)
You really know how to push someone's buttons, don't you?

doris

Visit site

In my experience most boats have very few issues, obviously though there are Friday afternoon boats out there. If I knew about the issues, they wouldn't happen would they! YouTube click bait loves doom and disaster. Some of us will enjoy sailing the boat rather than concentrating on their screen and problems.
I will have a few test sails and IF everything works and is looking good I will sail the boat back to the Solent. The B&G issues wtih PhotoInfinity are rare but installer error, but we will just have to say a few Hail Marys and have faith! Back end of November in the Channel, maybe a lot of faith. If we get our 15 minutes of fame unlucky, but I don't expect to.
My last new boat, the Dehler, albeit a few years back had no issues at all whereas the two Scandinavain boats alongside me had huge lists.
I have been to the JPK several times, I'm impressed so far with their whole ethos and their reputation is excellent. I have spoken with assorted engineers and repairers over here and JPK get a very good press unlike some of their rivals.
If one doesn't make the leap of faith one will remain standing still forever. Should there be serious problems we will fix them I have little doubt.

Splash next Tuesday so headway being made. I look forward to going past Flaming only to be overtaken when the uphill stuff gets uncomfortable. But then I will have the Sunday roast in the oven by then!

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Suspect that Photon Infinity’s Autopilot and B&G ‘issues’ will be one and the same. And not of JPK’s making:

I upgraded to an all B&G system a couple of seasons back. Love it - particularly ‘Sail Steer.’ BUT am aware that, unlike Raymarine or NKE, software updates do not propagate (if that’s the word) over the N2K network. Which means that if your Triton displays and Zeus plotter have different software versions (either because of stock age at installation, or subsequent user updating), which may stop them operating as a network system, the only recourse is to update them individually. This requires access to the back of the Tritons. JPK surface mount these around the cockpit. It sounds as if JPK may sikaflex them into position, to maintain watertight integrity. As one would with any other deck gear. Not expecting removal to be required, except for end of life replacement, long term. Difficulty in Triton removal seems a lesser evil, to me, than a loss of watertight integrity in the cockpit.(Even if the Triton installation instructions might counsel against the use of sealant).

Last edited:

doris

Visit site
Suspect that Photon Infinity’s Autopilot and B&G ‘issues’ will be one and the same. And not of JPK’s making:

I upgraded to an all B&G system a couple of seasons back. Love it - particularly ‘Sail Steer.’ BUT am aware that, unlike Raymarine, software updates do not propagate (if that’s the word) over the N2K network. Which means that if your Triton displays and Zeus plotter have different software versions (either because of stock age at installation, or subsequent user updating), which may stop them operating as a network system, the only recourse is to update them individually. JPK surface mount the plotter and the Tritons around the cockpit. I expect that they sikaflex them into position, to maintain watertight integrity. As one would with any other deck gear. Not expecting removal to be required, except for end of life replacement, long term. Difficulty in Triton removal seems a lesser evil, to me, than a loss of watertight integrity in the cockpit.(Even if the Triton installation instructions might counsel against the use of sealant).
I have very deliberately stayed all B&G, no mix and match. The only exception being the Raymarine pilot ram. No excuses for NMEA bits not talking to each other etc. Things like pilot set up are a lot simpler today than 20 years ago so lets just crack on.
No negative waves Moriaty

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
I have very deliberately stayed all B&G, no mix and match. The only exception being the Raymarine pilot ram. No excuses for NMEA bits not talking to each other etc. Things like pilot set up are a lot simpler today than 20 years ago so lets just crack on.
Good call, on the all B&G. My, 3 year old, kit set itself up with the help of various start up wizards.
Worth knowing that, whilst the Zeus can be readily updated (due to its ease of online connectivity) the Tritons require manual updating (which entails removal to access their backs).

Last edited:

doris

Visit site
Good call, on the all B&G. My, 3 year old, kit set itself up with the help of various start up wizards.
Worth knowing that, whilst the Zeus can be readily updated (due to its ease of online connectivity) the Tritons require manual updating (which entails removal to access their backs).
Thank you for that snippet. I’ll warn the installer and check that they have been updated. That said, the Trirons were installed a couple of weeks ago.

Numbers

Visit site
Any reason you went with the Raymarine pilot ram and not the B&G ... you must know something about a quality difference to have all B&G equipment, but go with the Raymarine ram?

Which B&G Autopilot did you go with, the NAC or the H5000?

doris

Visit site
Any reason you went with the Raymarine pilot ram and not the B&G ... you must know something about a quality difference to have all B&G equipment, but go with the Raymarine ram?

Which B&G Autopilot did you go with, the NAC or the H5000?
There is much less resistance from the Raymarine ram when it’s turned off.
NAC 3