Jester mini challenge - June 16

Jake K

www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi Jesters - for those of you who want to try out your Jester boat in the company of like-minded skippers, and get some useful 'shake-down' mileage in preparation for the big one next year, the non-organisers of the bi-ennial Jester Challenge have arranged a shorter distance event from the West Country to Ireland. The Challenge will leave from the western end of the Plymouth breakwater on 16 June this year.

To quote directly from the unofficial announcement: "The Jester Baltimore Challenge 2013 is a shorter distance event compared to the well established and successful Azores and Newport USA challenges with their unique gentlemanly small boat ethos. Nevertheless, sailing in the vicinity of the Scillies, across the Celtic Sea and near the SW corner of Ireland presents testing challenges for small single handed yachts. The intention is to provide an opportunity during a normal summer leave allowance for old Jester Challenge hands to get together and for new hands to cut their teeth in preparation for longer distance challenges. The event is being coordinated on a low-key minimal cost basis."

Full details can be found on the Jester website, (www.jesterinfo.org) but it will be run very much as all the others - just send an email to Ewen Southby-Tailyour (tailyour@hotmail.com) to let him know your intention to enter (new Challengers should send some brief details about themselves and the boat) then simply turn up at Plymouth in time for the start at 11am on June 16. The usual Jester 'rules' apply - boats of less than 30ft (or slightly larger if in the Jester ethos, and with other skippers agreement), and sailed by a single-hander over the age of 18. All you have to do is sign a chit saying that you are entirely responsible for your own safety, and that's it. No entry fees, no scrutineering, no committees, no protests - just a mutual respect for the sea. There has already been considerable interest in this achievable challenge, which is a great chance to mix with seasoned Jesters and new entrants alike.

The distance is around 250nm each way, and the non-organisers have suggested that a 100nm non-stop test cruise would be a good idea if the boat/skipper is new to single-handing prior to this event. They are also suggesting that skippers keep a 6 hourly log when on the Baltimore Challenge, so tracks can be logged later, and there are a number of other useful bits of advice to enhance safety and provide useful feedback for yachts aiming to Challenge the Atlantic in 2014.

Much more on the website. Entries close on 14th June 2013, so if you feel like a summer cruise with a learning curve to it, and would like to see the lovely coast of Ireland as a destination, then drop a line to Ewen and get your name down!

Good cruising

Jake (Pod - Corribee 21)

OGITD

Visit site
Well I Never!

Me 'Owd-Pal' Fred (aka Leo) Sayer's Sailing Club is 'Host Club' for the event & he's your 'water-taxi' ..... so I've requested loads of photo's of the Fleet & hopefully one year me & Leo (both ex-'Fish-Heads') will be sailing in the same event! .... :D

Noddy

Visit site
I think this is a great idea.

However, it seems that it is time to leap to the defense of the 'no rules - behave like gentlemen / women' ethos of Jester, again.

I have read the relevant page at jesterinfo and see many new rules have appeared (we are up to 17 now). Worse; some PDF of international racing rules have been appended (another 178 pages).

Sorry for the sense of humour failure, but the irrelevance of petty rules applied to real human endeavour is one aspect of the Jester Challenge that I hold very dear.

Jake, At the 2008 Jester Azores dinner you spoke (very well). You described the Jester Challenge as the "Antidote to the Nanny State." This provoked a rousing cheer that shook the room.
The rules described at jesterinfo is the creeping nanification of the JC.
The exhortation to "Behave like Gentlemen / women" is enough!

I am grateful to those who take the time to organise these events. I also understand that these rules are simply a reflection of the desire for things to go well. I intend no offence by these comments, but were I to say nothing I would not be acting in the interests of the JC.

Paul

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Well I am inspired by the idea of jester. I'm already in ireland so a west country start for me would be impractical. However, I'd love to single hand from my base in Dublin and meet you all in Baltimore.