JACKSTAYS AGAIN

scans

Visit site
Does anyone know about SAFEOLINA - Webbing Jackstays. Are they good and how do they work? i.e. Where do you attach them to your boat, with what and to where?

Swagman

Based from the UK, try to get away on a boat for a
www.sailblogs.com
Hi,
Trusting this is not a troll type wind up - or question placed by a marketing manager.
They are just one make of webbing jackstays with patented clip on one end so they can be removed easily.
One normally attaches them to two deck fittings - one on the bow and one aft each side of the cockpit - with the webbing led along the deck so you can clip on and move from cockpit to bow in relative safety.
OK?
JOHN

RobBrown

Visit site
I have webbing Jackstays,make unknown, and have to say they seem to me to be better than alternatives such as rope or plastic covered wire as flat rather than round section makes it much safer if stood on.

pdunlop

Visit site
I Think this is a really interesting question, one that I also have a problem with. Whats best, wire or webbing? Where to connect them, Pull pit and push pit, bow and stern cleats, or dedicated fittings? Whats the most secure solution? Would love some advice.

Pete

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Webbing is strong and comfortable underfoot, easy to make up yourself using webbing knots at each end. Where you fit them is going to depend on the boat - mine are shackled to the toerail fore and aft, with a strop from the base of the mast to pull them inboard. They can also be shackled to the the inner forestay fitting, or an eye bolt on the windlass, or.....etc

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Webbing jackstays don't have to be a precise fit, so an off the peg solution will work just fine. I attach to the forward cleat and a side staunchion base with D shackles.

Word of advice: don't leave them in situ all season - the sun will reduce their strength, and where's the safety and sense in that?

And whilst laying in the jackstays, have a look at how you clip on at the mast - which is often where you end up sorting problems in bad weather, and need a firm attachment!

PWG

Robin

Visit site
I don't trust webbing to stay strong enough after exposure to UV for long periods. There is a race boat near us with some that look so degraded they might fall apart under their own weight.

We have plastic coated S/S wire jackstays shackled between eye bolts on deck by the aft end of the cockpit and just ahead of the coachroof either side of the foredeck. In our case we are lucky that this leads the jackstays neatly along the coachroof to deck line, inside of any rigging and not where you could trip or roll on them. However there is a solution to the rolling wire risk in other cases which is to thread the wire through webbing tubing, it stops the slip but needs no strength of it's own.

Personal choice but at least I don't worry about if/when to replace webbing.

SwedishLass

Visit site
Plastic coated wire is not a perfect solution to fit and forget,still needs regular checking. I was horrified at the end of one season to see amount of rust inside plastic tubing covering SS cockpit guard wire. Too little oxygen and it seems to rust like no tomorrow.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Maybe parafil lines would be an alternative to s/s wire? It's the same stuff that can replace wire for guard rails - same problem of rolling underfoot, but is soft and kinder to feet and gelcoat, as well as having some elasticity.

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Hi, we used the fitted white webbing jackstays on our previous boat that earlier owner fitted , then changed to Baltics version of the adjustable webbing type when the white fitted ones began to suffer from UV. UV was hard to spot at first.
Just one Baltic adjustable strap went from cockpit to bows and back on both sides of our 20fter so you did not have to unclip at all outside the cockpit. Jimmy Green & Compass do one too, I think, plus most sail makers will do custom jobs.
Our present boat had webbing jacks but I binned them as age unknown and went for two adjustable webbing Baltics, one each side, as latest boat 37ft. You can go from bow to stern clipped on one stay.
Main points we watch for are;
select strong anchor points,
keep the jackstay tight & check web and thread regularly for fray, chafe, nicks.
buy a black or coloured one, not white, so UV effect can be seen,
some new Jackstays have shockload indicators so you change asap after a fall, etc, like the Baltic safety harness leashes.
If you don't remove when not at sea, tie up above decklevel to reduce salt and avoid mould, dirt and birdsh*t getting into the weave.
rinse in freshwater regularly.
replace every two years at least, or if used in anger, or the colour fades; ok its £20-30 at least each, but whats the price of you and yours & friends lives?

We use a 3 double action hook safety line for mast foot work, with the short one clipped to a ring on the mast, the long one stays on the jackstay. Would like granny bars at mast, but need pennys/time.

I Wouldn't use wire- on friends boats, found it unsafe underfoot, and hard to detect rust and fraying. One bad go was one too many for me.

Hope the above helpful, sailing is fun, honest, but
"Nautica breva, maintence longa"
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Robin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I Wouldn't use wire- on friends boats, found it unsafe underfoot, and hard to detect rust and fraying. One bad go was one too many for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only unsafe if installed where you tread, ours run in the corner along the coachroof. Alternatively thread them through a piece of tubular layflat webbing. I had a lifebuoy (Plastimo) where the webbing loops for the grabline rotted through in under two seasons, and these were stored in a locker when we are not on board. They looked fine and the yellow buoy looked like new, but the webbing loops were actually like powdered lace and just fell apart as I lifted the lifebuoy out of the locker.

As I said personal choice but webbing isn't for me.

As for rusting wire, do you worry about your rigging in the same way? Our current wires are 6 years old, have no rust and I haven't slipped on them once!

Tidewaiter2

Turning Left this season?-Nach Friesians?
Visit site
Robin,
Re rigging, 'fraid so, I do.
I think whatever you use for jackstays is down to your own personal preference & experience: I was just sharing mine, but web or wire, time spent in regular checks and cleaning, is never time wasted.
(After all, travel hoists/ cranes use both wire and web at different parts of the lifting process, but all require regular checking).
I personally use webbing because it lies flat under a less than nimble foot, tends to tear/stretch under shock loading rather than part completely like wire can under load. I'm 94kg, so if I fall its a lot of shock loading, even from one metre.

So I tend to do me 'preflight checks' on standing & running rig (renewed 2007)as well as usual engine, etc checks now 15m towers over us.

I'm a sad b*gger I know, but it's because a mast came down off Brown Ridge in 98;a new wire/ rope combi stem strop wore through in 24hrs or so and went during a headsail change. Lucky it was only a Wayfarer mast, and we sorted it with pliers and pop riveter. We survived, so it was just "experience".

Mind, on a lighter note, I see your lifebouy was French: revenge for Agincourt, Poitiers & Crecy is still ongoing, you know.

After all, just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
All the Best