Jacaranda

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
This was relayed to me by a third party

Anyone want to do a Leo Sampson or a restoration?

My Father, Arthur George Thomas Stevens (“Steve”) was born in Loughton, Essex, in 1914, where his father, also Arthur, was the station sergeant at Loughton Police Station. Steve was brought up by a strict father and, the first time he got the chance, ran away to sea. He joined the Merchant Navy and worked his way up to become an officer. Then, for reasons best known only to Steve, he left the Merchant Navy and signed on as a humble PC in the Metropolitan Police, training at Hendon and then being stationed at Tower Bridge Police Station.

When war broke out in 1939, Steve was quickly commissioned into the Royal Navy and trained in Scotland, before becoming a commander of tank landing craft, crossing to Normandy on D+1 (the day after D-Day). Once the allied forces left the beaches and Steve’s flotilla had delivered all they could, they were involved in bridge building (Bailley Bridges) to cross many rivers where retreating German had destroyed the existing ones.

After the war, Steve was involved in bomb disposal on the South Coast of Britain, stationed close to Corfe, Dorset, after which he returned to the police, though still on the Royal Navy Reserve as a Lieutenant Commander. Steve retained his connections with the Admiralty and, in 1950, started the Bermondsey Sea Cadets in London’s Docklands. In those days the boys from the docks were a rough bunch, but were knocked into shape by “The CO”, assisted by the bo’sun and a series of tough Petty Officers., Over the years, many of these lads made their way into the Merchant Navy and Royal Navy.

Steve managed to negotiate the purchase of a Brixham Trawler, a 31-ton wooden ketch, which was moved to Surrey Commercial Docks, where the cadets inherited a boathouse and a massive underground air raid shelter. The Jacaranda, as she was known then, was moored in Stave Dock, which was soon renamed Steve Dock after my father. Bermondsey Sea Cadets thrived at that venue for some 35 years before the docks were closed, when she spent a while in St Katherine Dock and, finally, Tilbury. She had been re-engineered as a sail training vessel, with 3 offices’ cabins with double bunks, and some 32 cadet berths.

It seems that Steve, known at Tower Bridge Police Station as “the old man”, managed to sneak off regularly from his police duties to tend to the ongoing needs of the cadets and “that bloody boat” as my mother called it. Perhaps the powers that be (or were) turned a blind eye because getting boys off the street and training them for a useful career probably prevented more crime than police work ever did.

The Kenya Jacaranda had become somewhat famous during her life. She started out as the Torbay Lass, built in 1923. She was 77 feet long, with a beam (width) of 18 feet, a main mast around 68 feet and a main boom of 32 feet. She was built to trawl for fish in the Irish and North seas, as far North as Iceland. Her construction marked the beginning of the end of fishing under sail from Brixham and her configuration was traditional and basic. She had no engine, but did have a coal-fired steam boiler to power the hauling winch for the nets (a feature common to sailing fishing vessels from around the coasts of the UK from the early 20th century). There was no deck house, with the crew of four being accommodated in the aft sail lockers with very basic provision for sleeping and eating.

By 1938 Torbay Lass’s fishing days were over. However, records show that she had a distinguished career and was a notably good sailing vessel, being involved in 1935 in rescuing the disabled sailing collier Welcome by towing her under sail away from Pendeen Head back to Newlyn. This is believed to be the last salvage tow under sail in the world, a tow of some 24 hours. In 1936 Torbay Lass was awarded the King George V Cup for winning the Brixham Trawler Race in that year, thereby demonstrating her capabilities and turn of speed. A few years ago a supporter unearthed some Pathe News footage on Google -

Under new ownership in 1939 and having undergone a refit as a pleasure yacht which included the installation of 2 engines, it would appear that Torbay Lass served out the war years in Lowestoft as anti-seaplane cover and accommodation. In 1944 it was recorded by Lady Genesta Hamilton (who subsequently bought her in 1945) that Torbay Lass was perfect for private use, with a large aft saloon, four big double berth cabins, two lavatories, a roomy fo’c’s’le and a deck house. Lady Hamilton renamed her Kenya Jacaranda in view of her intended new home on the East African seaboard, but it is not clear that she ever made it to the Indian Ocean.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
In 1951 “KJ” as she came to be affectionately known, began her life as a sea cadet training vessel. with some 3,500 cadets experiencing life on board up to 1980, when a more formalised body – Mayflower Sail Training Society was set up. In the same year KJ was subject to a further extensive refit, since when up until 2005/6 she carried a further 5000 youngsters on sea voyages developing both sailing and social skills. She therefore has had a significant role in engaging young people in the sailing traditions of the United Kingdom for over half a century.

Trips down the Thames and across the English Channel to Calais, Dunkirk, Ostende, Zeebrugge and other ports were a regular occurrence, all under the auspices of the Admiralty.

The Jacaranda is of special significance as she was the last of many hundreds of Brixham sailing trawlers built from the late 19th century onwards. In view of this symbolic significance, she holds the present status of being one of some 200 vessels of all types and functions listed in the National Historic Fleet.

Nobody in my family was spared involvement in the cadets. My mother and sister were press-ganged into helping with events, sewing, communications and more, while my brother and I needed no press-gang to persuade us to be involved. But it wasn’t all plain sailing (excuse the pun). So much of sailing is ‘hurry up and wait’, wait for tides, provisions, pilot boats, customs, the swing bridge and, sometimes, just because the officers were jawing. But, once we were at sea, with the bo’sun shouting “more sail, more sail”, it was all worthwhile. The bo’sun was a real character, with a glass eye, which he used to pop out and put on the wheel, saying ‘keep an eye on that’, which scared many a cadet.

But before any voyage, it was begging time. I was sent round to local supermarkets and shops, asking for donations of provisions. Dented, rusty and unlabelled cans were the order of the day and the contents would be poured into the large cooking pans and all cooked together, because we often didn’t know what was inside (no bar/product codes then). So Jacaranda POT was an enamel dish with a bread doorstop and a warmed up mess comprising anything from peas, spaghetti, peaches, meatballs, pineapple chunks and anything else that came out of a can. Delicious! And to follow, tea with condensed milk. When the wind was at force 9, gusting to 12, with a heavy swell, many a serving came back up; the lucky cadets remembered to throw up downwind.

There were many adventures:

• running aground on the Dogger Bank wile racing the tide, and losing
  • having all the cadets taken off by lifeboat (an Admiralty rule for cadets in the event of danger) while the officers remained on board, shoring her up until the tide returned
  • spending 24 hours in a force 10 ‘off beachy head’, trying to get to Portsmouth for a naval celebration, limping into the harbour with a broken main boom
  • heading out to sea in full sail and ignoring Ted Heath’s crew on Morning Cloud who were running for port and advising us to do the same
  • coming 3rd in her class of three in the Tall Ships Race from Harwich to Christiansand in Norway in a flat calm; then beating the entire fleet back in a gale (what she was built for!)
  • various ‘coming together’ with quays, buoys and, my father’s pet hate, Thames Barges
  • and many other ‘adventures’

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Time caught up with the Jacaranda and, being manned purely by boat-loving volunteers, she never had enough care, money or ‘hands’. Finding a berth was always problematic and she was moved from dock to dock, ending in Tilbury, where she sank. She was re-floated, but continued to ‘waste away’ before she was finally towed to Maldon in Essex, hopefully to be restored by Heritage Marine (Heritage Marine | Boatyard | Shipwright | Marine Engineering | Chandlery) although she is more likely to see out her days on a mudbank, the end for so many sailing vessels.

My brother-in-law paid her a visit a while ago and his comment was “When we saw her almost two years ago she was in an appalling state. To be honest it would probably be cheaper to build a new one than to restore her.”

So, thanks for your interest, but I think she will end her days where she is.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
There have been many photos and articles over the years. Here are some of them:
https://web.archive.org/web/20101202015738/http://kjappeal.org/history.html

Brixham trawler - Wikipedia

Torbay Lass | National Historic Ships

kenya jacaranda

Zum Anzeigen anmelden oder registrieren

KENYA JACARANDA in Tilbury

There was even a book, ‘written’ by my father and edited by Bob, my brother-in-law (foreword written by my brother). It was really a lot of entries from the ship’s log book, which my father meticulously maintained, a requirement of the Admiralty, as she carried sea cadets and, later, as a sail training ship. I have no idea if the book is still available https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenya-Jacaranda-Arthur-George-Stevens/dp/0954034430 The Amazon preview and the foreword are quite entertaining, you have to page through it online at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenya-Jaca...0A9HAQOY&revisionId=d4be2e1b&format=3&depth=1 Note that it corrects some of the things I said my story – it shows how memories betray us.

One thing I do remember is my annual task of going round the neighbourhood from the age of 5 onwards, knocking on doors and waving a collection box in the shape of a lifeboat, asking for donations for the RNLI. I still support the idea, but now here in South Africa, where we have the NSRI. My brother, now deceased continued to support the RNLI and my brother-in-law is still a member. The two of them used to accompany my father to the annual ‘Tank Landing Craft Association” dinner.

How ‘that bloody boat’ took over our lives was evidenced by our garage being a collection point for anything that could be recycled, and back in the 60’s! Neighbours left newspapers, other paper, tins, aluminium cans and ring-pulls, anything that might have a value. These would then be transported to scrapyards and recycling yards for cash, which went towards the sea cadets. The sound of my father manually crushing tins with a home-made stamp for hour after hour, disturbed the peace of West Wimbledon.
Even later, when I went to work, collection continued. Continuous computer paper was the top of the recycling tree. I collected it by the ton from all Securicor offices and borrowed a 7-tonner armoured van to take it to the recyclers, getting up to £ 120 per ton, even in those days. So, Securicor became an unwitting sponsor of Bermondsey Sea Cadets.