Italian modern wooden classic

tcm

Visit site
Re: Perinis

Yes agreed. Monster superyachts can be anything. I am thinking more in the realms of normality. Torefer back to another post, a modern boat is bought by someone with the wherwithal to buy a modern house, and a modern car. The house almost certainly has some if not lots of comfort and modcons, as well as fulfilling the essential reqs of not falling down, having headroom, keeping out the rain. But they would not buy a house on the basis of it being "better than camping". Even many modern sailing boats seem barely to have risen above that level. Indeed, camping is quite lot *better* if you rent a biggish tent abroad - fridges, freezers, sprung matrresses...

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site

Well - we do all of that, frides,freezers,microwaves,sprung matteresses, showes that hurt if you turn them on full, engine that you cant barely hear under weigh, genny that you cant hear (you need to check the panel), ellectric heating, shelter form sun wind/rain, no string on side deck. All that in a boat that I sail singlehanded (I do ask the family to help with berthing), regularly have speeds around 10 knots (Lymington Jersey without engine, 13 hours). ELectric winches so SWMBO can crank the headsail sheets...

Better quality finish than most motorboats (certainly more durable).

Repair bill last season? Zero
Distance covered Just under 2000 NM, fuel about 30 gallons.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site

Peeps don't often fill in their profile, so I never look!! But Trintella , now that is a nice boat! Big aswell.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site

Thanks... It's well engineered, well screwed together and sails well for a cruising boat....

BUT ... they are built up to a spec, not down to a price, and as a result they cant sell enough to keep the yard out of financial struggles - not enough people are prepared to pay for quality ( I certainly couldnt have afforded a new one - SWMBO feels I shouldnt have afforded a secondhand one)

<hr width=100% size=1>

ecudc

Visit site
Re: Cat with legs in air

yup and about six months to a year or so one of the yachting mags (can't remember which sorry) did an in depth study of monohull versus multi and the basic outcome was that multi were more likely to capsize.

In the big round the world races it is generally the multihulls that have the biggest drop out, this from what I recall was caused by excessive speed through the water even with no sail up and the action of waves against the multihullls made them more likely to break up.

I think in "Heavy Weather Sailing" there is an issue with multihulls being able to cope with the excessive load of provisions etc caused by a long crossing, although he never suggests that cats should be avoided at all costs, just that there are things that you should be aware of and that cats should be sailed differently from monos in heavy weather. Above all if you’ve just bought the thing don’t go and test it first time out in really bad weather like some poor sod did a few months ago, of course it capsized. If you are just costal hopping and able to avoid the very worst of weathers there is no reason to avoid cats and plenty of people do safe ocean crossings as well.

If you really want to avoid capsize don't go for in mast reefing. Slab reefing or in boom furling much better for obvious reasons.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sybarite

Visit site
Re: ac/dc

What about modern cruising catamarans. Loads of room and moving at 15 knts - free !

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: The trouble with Amel

True. Not pretty, and worse after the sun has bleached them brownish. I am unsure of that super-deep centre cockpit too but Hey - I'm only keeping this thread going to make sure it beats ole Heather feature's united nations thread.

<hr width=100% size=1>