Italian modern wooden classic

tcm

Visit site
Och, i was in marseilles last year and there was a lovely woodensailing boat next to us. It was about 40 ish feet long, traditional externally loads of wood, but obviously brand new inside aircon etc etc. Would anyone have any idea what that was? the noo.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davel

Visit site
Aye

Soonds lyke "I rich equipaggia il giocattolo"

I hear Google are planning a translation tool from Scots (or is it Scottish?) to English for users of this forum.

<hr width=100% size=1>Dave L.

BarryH

Visit site
"I hear Google are planning a translation tool from Scots (or is it Scottish?) to English for users of this forum."

No its Jockanease

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

tcm

Visit site
Re: Seriously tho...

It was a wooden ketch. Stunning. A crew of two washed it down, and they had their own little hatch forward, and it was utterly, utterly new. Varnish, teak decks, more varnish, bronze here, brass there and everything.

(good Powergen site!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: ac/dc

Nope, they will let me rent biggish saily boats, but nobody lets anyone rent and selfdrive big powerboats. And for sth of france the wind is rubbish for sail, but fab for power. But long long term, then world crusing needs big keel and cheap travel...means a sailboat. Probly with big rib on foredeck tho for blamming about.

At moment tho, SWMBO totally unconvince by sail, cos they are a bit crap inside and we have been a bit hated by Swan and Oyster (so far) after going round their boats which are worse fitout than entry-level sunseeker, fairline or anything, looks like a student flat inside and galley all rather sunsailish. Wally have got it right, but a bit impractical regadling the getting washed off open deck possibility, and lack of pilothousy bit for hiding away from the sunshine ie bimini is a bit of a lashup or only temporary.

However, as far as woodeny boat goes, twill not be that one, too small. And too much aggro varnish wise. But i would like to drool at a website, at least, you know how it is.

wakeup

Visit site

I reckon there is a big gap in the market for an innovative, all mod cons, all electric winched, automatic everything, comfortable in the cockpit with proper awnings etc Sailboat. Seems that the exisitng designers are missing out on a huge market opportunity to service those people that purchase boats to enhance their lifestyle and leisure time rather than cramp it.

I reckon we could all come up with a list of things that would need to included in a rag n stick before stinkies could consider converting. There sems to be very little innovation in the raggies par of the market, or if their is the steps are so tiny that they make sod all difference in the scheme of things.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

>There sems to be very little innovation in the raggies par of the market<

There speaks a man who never looks at the last few editorial pages of Yachting World.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

burgundyben

Visit site

as historically a rag and stick man, Wally V nice, what about Hinckley?

one of the big probs with saily boats is, we all lead busy lives and say I keep my boat in the Solent, it does sail at say 6 knots, takes all bloody day to get out of solent, have to spend entire weekend at 30 degrees leaning overto get to crappy part of france for half an hour to come home again.

There's a boat called Savannah, bout 70 or 80 foot, looks like a classic but is harry spankers, think it might be a composite hull and mast is composite but sheathed in timber to look good. Nice idea build a modern boat to look classic.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

Gunfleet

Visit site

There just such a sailboat made by a Frenchman, but I can't remember his name. Someone will remind us. It includes a washing machine, dishwasher and proper fridge. Mind you, so do big cats, usually. Get one, then you can use my yacht as a tender!

<hr width=100% size=1>

burgundyben

Visit site

interesting comment Ken, of all the boaty magazines (inc mobo ones) I find the only one worth reading is Yachting World, all the others are poorly written, factually incorrect, repetitive junk for "Practically a boat owner" types.

IMHO. Ducks for cover.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

wakeup

Visit site

Well show me some real innovation, like something that is available today that I can sail that is comfortable by stinkie standards in the cockpit and doesn't require a degree in string theory, and hasn't been built for racing!!! Compare a raggie boat from the 70s or 80s to a modern one and apart from underyling build there is little difference or real 'outside the box' innovation, not so with stinkies.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

>Compare a raggie boat from the 70s or 80s to a modern one and apart from underyling build there is little difference<

Roller furling headsails
Roller furling mains or
Boom furling mains or
Lazy jack/sailpack systems
Fully battened mains
Self tailing winches
Refrigeration that works
Autopilots
Twin wheels
Bathing platform transoms
Heads big enough to swing a cat
Showers
Solar and wind electricity generation
Cruising chutes
Sprits for downwind sails
Electric winches
etc

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

wakeup

Visit site

there you go all small incremental changes, nothing in here that would make me think well sailing for the non-raggie is now cofortable or accessable. I looked at your list and thought, big deal so what. Still back in the 20th century I am afraid. What would get me interested in saling would be to see some genuinely modern desings and novel solutions to many of the things that put me off sailing, a basic example, you can't walk forward on any sail boats without tripping over ropes and gear, some of the pulleys are on runners right where you need to put your feet to stay upright, the passengers comfort is absoultely secondary to the needs of the sailing vessel, which would be fine on an out n out race, the designers don't seem to integrate the needs of the passenger for real comfort with the needs of the vesesel, using novel design approaches. Most can't design a boat where the stays allow you to wal down the deck without having to duck and swing, most cockpita have travellers and bits of rope all over the palce and not thought out neatly to ensure passengers don't have 100ft of rope around their feet when sailing. Just my oppinion, but I would love to sit down with a raggie designer and tell what is fundamentally wrong with a boat and see if he could solve the problems.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site

If you really want a stinky-friendly sailing boat - just look at Wally Yachts.

Sailing without the string!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: yes - and further

the changes which ken cites are valid- but they are things which make the boat easier or better to sail. But of no interest to non-expert SWMBO's. And the lack of these things is the reason why powerboats are becoming more popular. Note also that as well as becoming more attractive, other tech changes in power boats mean that they sail/drive better than 20 years ago too. Whereas sailboats just sail better, or are cheaper. But they are not a much nicer place to be.

Try it.

Ooh look dearest, you'll like this boat - the fridge works! yes, not like that coolish box in the 80'd wassername, this actually makes things a bit colder than when you puttem in! Obviouslym, ahem, its still a stupid big box that an orangutan might find handy and means that two weeks' food is a tip-it-in and hope. No, it;s not as good as the fridge that you mother had, but remeber this is a sailing boat...

Okay, now lets look at the loos. Ooh great, now look, there's a little wall cupboard, with a mirror, that nice init? Erm ,yes well i suppsoe that the kit in here is indeed a bit more primitive than you grandparents' outside lav but remeber - it's a sailboat. Yes, and a Moody! Vair well known name. yes, er there is also a generator, and um yes i suppose that they could be electric or at least most could be electric loos just one of them manual and not nasty plastic for a £1m boat er shall we come back in 5 years and see how they're doing?...

To be attractive for less-entusiatic partners, a boat has to be as nice (or close) as it is at home. Lots of powerboats are so, even many small ones. For a sailboat to be a nicer placve to be than a normal house, you have to spend more than £2m. Yes, I do want carpet in the cabins , with underlay, and waterproof carpet too. Proof: loads of sailors go out sailing alone and swmbo stays at home: whereas with powerboat swmbo is mostly always along too. Also, all those poor swmbos who get bounced into a sailboat after 2weeks in greece sunshine eh?

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site

Ever seen an aero rig, no ropes to fall over, hydraulic actuation etc, etc. Also the big all push button yachts being built in Holland, New Zealand, USA and UK, look around you might be surprised, especially by their interiors. Hydraulic/electric furling, halyards etc. You just haven't looked, you're unlikely to find any sailing in the solent, it just isn't big enough.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

'Also, all those poor swmbos who get bounced into a sailboat after 2weeks in greece sunshine eh?

i have no idea what you mean.

Anyway saily boats have one thing going for them. you can go to far fetched parts of the world cos all you need is the wind and not a huge fuelpontoon every 500 miles or so.
Agree in part about loos. but wakeup's point about sailboats for people without knowing how to sail rather misses the point.
Saioling is about knowing how to sail. For some ( me included ) the act of just setting sails and powering through the water is the best part the fun

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>if guinness is good for you. i must be very very good</font color=red>

Gunfleet

Visit site

<<Proof: loads of sailors go out sailing alone and swmbo stays at home: whereas with powerboat swmbo is mostly always along too. >>
That's because powerboat is well known middle-age penis enhancement device and SWMBO wants to be sure of seeing off other (possibly younger) totty which will be attracted to the giant wallet powerboat is meant to indicate. SWMBOs aren't stupid, you know.

<hr width=100% size=1>