Italian Marina Costs along West Coast July / August 2019 ?

Clypsie'sDream

Visit site
Hi All,
I plan to travel from Sardinia to Corsica, Elba, then hop down the West coast of Italy to Aeolian islands before reaching Southern Ionian by the end of September.
What worries me is access and costs of Italian Marinas at this busy time of year.
I'd welcome any member's experience of 2017/18 costs and at which marina particularly, as I have to leave yacht for a couple of weeks in August. Hope someone out there can help please ?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Marina costs down the Italian west coast are legendary! Every cruiser in Greece has a tale to tell of astonishing high costs for minimal service that they experienced on the way here. We were asked €80 per night, 10.6 metres, more than 10 years ago. I doubt very much that they are cheaper today.

Clypsie'sDream

Visit site
Thanks for reply both. I have read the 10 yr old quote and looked at Noonsite.
Just wondered if anyone had found a cheaper marina in last couple of years down the Italian West Coast ?
I found last year, the council run marinas in Spain, Portugal, Balearics and Sardinia to be half the price of private enterprise.

gianenrico

Visit site
I'll share with You one of the best kept secrets of Italian West Coast.
If tou are sailing Sardinia to Corsica, You'll have then to cross the Tyrrenian sea from the "finger"(actually, Capo Corso) to the "boot".
Some 70 miles from Macinaggio, on the Tuscany coast, lays Marina di Carrara and its Club Nautico.
We host transit boats for free the first night and for a very limited amout for the following 3. From there You could organize a train trip to the leaning tower at Pisa, to the Carrara marble quarries or by train to Genoa.
VHF contact is on Channel 72.
We have a web site, just google: Club Nautico Marina di Carrara: http://www.clubnauticomarinadicarrara.net/
Further South I suggest Cavo, on Elba Island.
Any Harbour around Rome is very Tricky with foul weather: difficult to enter, often impossible to exit (or vice versa).
Back to Corsica, may I suggest you pay visit to Century? a very small Harbour in a rather protected bay closed by an ex-island. It lys on the uppermost western side of the "finger".

Further South and in face of Greece lays Roccella Ionica. nice place to get ready for the 250 miles leg to Patrassus.

Hope it helps, when in Corsica and in need just MP on this site and I'lltry and help.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I been making a few note about the west coast as we sail down this year you find them on the liveaboard forum .
We don't use marina but we as we have tried to find a transit berth in two harbour where there wasn't any and was approached by marina staff offer us berth one wanted €70 the other €85 , now this is May and we are 13mts , I guess in summer they be a lot More .
Two things if I may say .
1...you don't need marinas that s what anchors are for and so far we had no problems find good anchorages , although the last night was a bit bumpy but that's because we got it wrong .
2....marinas are expensive any where in Summer you try and get a berth in Marinas in Greece for a 13 mts boat in July /Aug .
The only reason you dont read people complain about the cost of marina in Greece , Turkey and Croatia is because people Anchor and not using them

Last edited: