It was the right thing to do -But!!

Daydream believer

Visit site
The boat is laid up on the hard. Most of the winterising has been done. So I thought I would nip down to the marina & turn off the battery charger now the batteries are up to full power. Then straight back home to do a few home jobs. the marina is only 4 miles away so it would only take 20 Mins
Whilst I was there I noticed a slight smell from the heads. I had 5 litres of disinfectant in the car so i thought that whilst i was there I might !quickly! pump some fresh water through the pipe with a bit of disinfectant for the winter.
Ok so far except the pump was very stiff. Funny I thought!!
Now at that point I should have gone home & earned brownie points from the wife.
But it would not take a minute to undo the 6 screws & take the pump home & clean it. Wouldn't it?
But having done that I noticed that there was a lot of calcium in the fitting. Hmm. Get a box spanner & undo the 2 jubilee clips & remove the plastic elbow & look up the hose. Only take a minute- Won't it?
I could not see up it but horrors of horrors I could not get my finger up it.
Now at that point I could have gone home!!
But it would only take a few minutes to disconnect the end at the blackwater tank - Wouldn't it?

The upshot is that the cabin floor, the shower tray, the aft locker was sprayed with S..t & calcium that took 30 mins to clean. It took another 1.5 hours to get the hose out from behind the bulkhead & the blackwater tank (half full) ended up in the car

I have promised the wife faithfully that I would NEVER jet wash the tank on the patio - (at least until she goes shopping on Tuesday!!) & all my clothes need washing & i am about to get in the shower. I have 3 or 4 hours work ahead of me to get it all back & have to buy a new hose.
I just hope to god that the wife does not go near the car for a couple of days & smell the contents where the tank leaked in the boot.

& i only went to disconnect the battery charger

Last edited:

Old Harry

Visit site
The boat is laid up on the hard. Most of the winterising has been done. So I thought I would nip down to the marina & turn off the battery charger now the batteries are up to full power. Then straight back home to do a few home jobs. the marina is only 4 miles away so it would only take 20 Mins
Whilst I was there I noticed a slight smell from the heads. I had 5 litres of disinfectant in the car so i thought that whilst i was there I might !quickly! pump some fresh water through the pipe with a bit of disinfectant for the winter.
Ok so far except the pump was very stiff. Funny I thought!!
Now at that point I should have gone home & earned brownie points from the wife.
But it would not take a minute to undo the 6 screws & take the pump home & clean it. Wouldn't it?
But having done that I noticed that there was a lot of calcium in the fitting. Hmm. Get a box spanner & undo the 2 jubilee clips & remove the plastic elbow & look up the hose. Only take a minute- Won't it?
I could not see up it but horrors of horrors I could not get my finger up it.
Now at that point I could have gone home!!
But it would only take a few minutes to disconnect the end at the blackwater tank - Wouldn't it?

The upshot is that the cabin floor, the shower tray, the aft locker was sprayed with S..t & calcium that took 30 mins to clean. It took another 1.5 hours to get the hose out from behind the bulkhead & the blackwater tank (half full) ended up in the car

I have promised the wife faithfully that I would NEVER jet wash the tank on the patio - (at least until she goes shopping on Tuesday!!) & all my clothes need washing & i am about to get in the shower. I have 3 or 4 hours work ahead of me to get it all back & have to buy a new hose.
I just hope to god that the wife does not go near the car for a couple of days & smell the contents where the tank leaked in the boot.

& i only went to disconnect the battery charger

Are you related to the fellow with the MoBo :cool:
Some disinfectant contains pine oil & is a no no on rubber gaskets & o rings

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Perhaps it may help someone else in the future if I remark that I managed to syphon my blackwater tank near empty earlier this year by using a jiggle-syphon.