It happened on Sunday night

KevL

Visit site
I put my Broom on the rocks at the Isle of Whithorn. I made three attempts to anchor with a 20Kg Bruce and 15 fathoms of chain and she dragged it every time. While retrieving it the third time the anchor trip fouled in the windlass and tripped the breaker. By the time I had realised what had happened, reset the trip and got back to the helm we were on the rocks with an anchor fast and no way to get to the trip astern on the port engine held us off the rocks for a while but the tide and wind eventually became too strong. All the stern gear is written off - P brackets bent, rudders bent, props mangled and she is holed in about 3 places along the port chine. Thankfully the pumps kept her afloat but she was on (and off) the rocks for about two hours taking that pounding until the lifeboat crews got us free and safely into the harbour.

I'd just like to thank all the inshore lifeboat crews who attended without who I doubt my wife and I would still be here. I just hope that none of you ever have to go through that.

KevL

<hr width=100% size=1>--
It may be the early bird that catches the worm but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Jerbro

Visit site
Thank goodness you're all safe. How long did the lifeboat take to get to you? How did the family take it? Has it put them off?

<hr width=100% size=1>Jerbro
====
Click here for <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.btinternet.com/~jerbro> My ex-boat pics</A>

kindredspirit

www.begleys.com
Very sorry for all your troubles.

Glad you're both safe.

<hr width=100% size=1>
wave.gif

lanason

Visit site
Strewth - Just glad you are both OK.
Thank goodness for the RNLI - heros all of them.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/kelisha>More Pics of Kelisha</A> /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

barryjl

Visit site
Really glad you and the family are safe mate. That's the main thing and just hope you are not all put off. Whereabouts is the Isle of Whithorn by the way? Will your insurers pick up all the repair bills?

<hr width=100% size=1>

KevL

Visit site
They took about ...Well what seemed like an eternity but must have been about 3/4Hr to 1 Hr. There were people from the town on the rocks but thew couldn't get close enough to do anything. I could see the lifeboat crew laonching from the mouth of the dry harbour and all the time the horrible thud scrape crunching from every wave, a sound I never want to hear again. My wife has taken it better than me, I was shaking for days afterwards.

Thanks for your concern

KevL

<hr width=100% size=1>--
It may be the early bird that catches the worm but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

KevL

Visit site
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=247500&Y=535000&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&scale=50000&advanced=&multimap.x=358&multimap.y=86>It's here</A>

And hopefully yes they will pick up the bill. She was moved down the M1 yesterday on her way to Broom for assessment and estimates.

KevL

<hr width=100% size=1>--
It may be the early bird that catches the worm but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kimhollamby on 07/10/2003 20:12 (server time).</FONT></P>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Blummin Eck. We were in fleetwood on Sunday and had a look round for you. Could'nt see you. And Tutts said. Maybe he's hit the rocks!!!

Glad your safe.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Really sorry to hear this, Kev. I guess she's on her way to Brundall? If anybody can fix her as good as new, the Broom peeps can

<hr width=100% size=1>

britemp

Visit site
Sounds terrifying - like everyone else I'm glad to hear you are all OK.

On a lighter note I'd better look carefully at any cheap 41's for sale in my search for a Broom! :)

Hope you can laugh at it soon and that it doesn't put you off boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Scary story Kev - and not one to retell to her indoors!! Glad you are all OK. Keep us posted on how your boat gets on in repairs, and don't let this put you off. Its an experience that will strengthen you in the long run.

<hr width=100% size=1>Madoc Yacht Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk>http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk</A>

ArthurWood

Visit site
Sounds 'orrible. Glad you are OK. What did you learn from the experience? ie what do you think you should have done differently, if anything?

<hr width=100% size=1>