It appears I am not a master tactician

Dipper

Visit site
Don't go between the 2nd and 3rd islands (counting from the West). See my Sneaky Little Islands post! There's a yacht there at the moment and it might just hit them. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dipper

Visit site
It looks like ideal mobo conditions for you Brendan.

doldrums_scale.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BrendanS

Visit site
Oh very funny! At least I'm ahead of most of you on leader board! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I suspect that will change rapidly over the next 48 hours, as we all change course and find our ways through

Dipper

Visit site
I don't think any of us has got it right. Those boats at the extreme West managed it by sacrificing the southerly route to get out into the winds. Now they are tanking along directly to the mark especially Blur.

I have decided to get the hell out of where I was by ignoring VMG and going for speed to the West. I might just get out far enough in time to catch a reasonable breeze past the doldrums before they expand across to the West. I'm making 11.9 knots at the moment.

Fingers crossed.

Dipper

Visit site
You are in a very difficult position and I really don't know what to advise. Straight ahead will be deadly slow but shorter. West will be good for a while but you won't get down to the South before the doldrums spreads all the way across. There is some wind to the East. In fact there will be a patch of 10m/s at one stage but I don't know if you can get there to catch any of it.

I suppose you could just try the shortest route and hope for some luck but it doesn't look very lucky at the moment.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bejasus

Visit site
I came down west of the Canaries but split the Cape Verdes being in 2 minds as to head west and down or head east and across. What clinched it, is as you say, would get to the west to late to get down through the doldrums, so east it is and hope to then be able to beam reach back across, midweek.

fireball

Visit site
It appears that the east is the wrong way to go ....

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now I'm going to have to play catchup .... again!!

Ah well ... hopefully you lot won't quite be in cape town by the time I'm through the doldrums!!

Dipper

Visit site
Re: It appears that the east is the wrong way to go ....

The wind forecast to the West has improved again. I hope it stays that way. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TigaWave

www.H4marine.com
Re: It appears that the east is the wrong way to go ....

swings and round abouts! I thought I was out of it two days ago...but there is still a long way to go, I was wondering what you had crashed into!

Bejasus

Visit site
what I cannot figure out, is that currently, Victorious is closer to the mark than you and he is also near the rumb line whereas you are further away and out to the north west, yet your position is ahead of his. You are curently listed as 462 and he as 464. How is that working?