Issues when trying to expand Solar array

Duncancw

Visit site
If you have a shore power charger, and it's always on, then how is it earthed?
Are there and data cables between the Victron kit? Beware of screen connections which could be 'always on 0V', so must be isolated from 'boat earth'.

Earthing on boats with shore power is not a trivial subject.
I don't have a shore power charger.

There is a completely separate 240V system. I haven't documented it here.

Not quite sure what you mean about the Victron Kit and data cables? .All the Victron kit (MPPT's & BMV) are Bluetooth

Duncancw

Visit site
You only need a bus bar if you have lots of connections. You can make up to 3 or 4 connections to a single terminal. You risk bad connections if you stack too many.
I don't understand why you would have any other connections to the battery positive terminal. That is the purpose of the (currently empty) positive bus bar. I, personally, would move the switch to the positive side. Someone, at some stage, will make an earth connection which bypasses the switch if on the negative side. People don't respect the black wires the same as the red ones.
I think your current setup is very confusing to anyone trying ,including yourself, to problem solve. Eg, although there is a switch in the circuit with the lower left bus bar since the switch is in the negative side that bus bar can be considered unswitched. It is identical to the positive terminal of the battery and is at 12V potential. It only becomes 'switched' if the negative wire is attached somewhere prior to your switch. I.e. everything is back to front from how anyone would normally do it and how most peoples brains think. Someone making a positive connection here and a negative connection on the unswtched side, or to the engine, or the shunt, or the battery negative terminal (whichever is convenient) will have a permanent unswitched load bypassing your switch.

Not saying your system isn't possible but you just need to always think back to front of how it is done on almost every other boat.
Hi pmagowan

Ok, I don't have many connections so I will remove that neg busbar and run the additional cable

Apologies, I have tried to keep the diagram very high level and focus on the addition of the solar panel systems. Anything on the main circuit (as I call it) wasn't originally documented as it has been fitted when the boat was built and probably the way I've documented it is a little confusing i.e the battery isolation switch is between the neg terminal on the battery and the main negative busbar.