Isle of Wight - ghettos 'within inches' of sailing clubs for the rich.

savageseadog

Visit site
It's the problem with public sector body that calls itself an "authority" - it forgets it is not an authority, it is a customer service business which should be accountable to its customers, not the other way round.

I think those ideas were left behind decades ago, most Councils seem to think they own you these days.
John Major did, to his credit, recognised the problem and created the the Citizens Charter and Chartermark system for public bodies. I don't think it exists anymore.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I think it wrong that the focus of the argument has become on taking holidays though. There are many other legitimate reasons for children to be taken out of school and I agree that the parents should be the ones to decide. I don't see any justification for having to seek "permission" from a head teacher for doing it, if anything it is the other way round and head teachers should be seeking permission from parents for decisions affecting their children. It's a classic case of the tail wagging the dog

Problem is that there is a section of the community where the parents are just too pig ignorant to make decisions about their childs education
Hence the state has to issue laws to allow for such cases which unfortunately affect the majority although in that case the majority accept the rules & realise the reasoning & abide by them even though it does cause them problems

l'escargot

Visit site
Problem is that there is a section of the community where the parents are just too pig ignorant to make decisions about their childs education
Hence the state has to issue laws to allow for such cases which unfortunately affect the majority although in that case the majority accept the rules & realise the reasoning & abide by them even though it does cause them problems

The trouble is that the ones the rules have been introduced for just carry on and ignore them - and ignore any sanctions - as I go on to say in the next paragraph in that post...

chanelyacht

Visit site
I think those ideas were left behind decades ago, most Councils seem to think they own you these days.
John Major did, to his credit, recognised the problem and created the the Citizens Charter and Chartermark system for public bodies. I don't think it exists anymore.

It's why organisations like schools belong firmly in the private sector (but free at point of use).

Unfortunately, teaching is a typically left wing dominated sector, hence why it's OK for teachers to deprive a child of schooling for a different haircut or non-conforming skirt, or when they want a day off (sorry, a strike to help education :disgust:) but parents must be fined for taking children to places where they can learn from new experiences.

chanelyacht

Visit site
How about the coastguard? Perhaps the AA and RAC would be interested in running the service.

Indeed, why not?

Although the RNLI would make more sense.

It couldn't be worse than political interference and turf wars within DfT have made it.

After all, the airborne SAR side already is a contractor.

I've long advocated the NATS model which although not fully private sector (yet),does have all the advantages of being commercially aware, innovative and a few steps removed from government.

thecommander

Visit site
Taking your children out of school so you can enjoy a cheap holiday is very selfish. There are exceptions that justify it, such as bereavement and special circumstances but removing your children from school so you/they can enjoy Disneyland 20% cheaper is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but I hope the man on the IOW loses his case.

My parents would never have dreamed of removing us from school. They worked hard and saved up all year so we could enjoy a summer holiday that didn't involve us being removed from school.

Last edited:

l'escargot

Visit site
Taking your children out of school so you can enjoy a cheap holiday is very selfish. There are exceptions that justify it, such as bereavement and special circumstances but removing your children from school so you/they can enjoy Disneyland 20% cheaper is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but I hope the man on the IOW loses his case.

My parents would never have dreamed of removing us from school. They worked hard and saved up all year so we could enjoy a summer holiday that didn't involve us being removed from school.
I would guess things were pretty different when you were at school, so not really a good good basis for judging how things are now. I doubt very much whether your parents had to seek permission from your headteacher to do anything - or that the school had to manipulate your attendance to meet government targets or to generate local government income...

Visit site
I've long advocated the NATS model which although not fully private sector (yet),does have all the advantages of being commercially aware, innovative and a few steps removed from government.
NATS is an ongoing national disaster, only a desperate debater would invoke NATS as a positive example to support a theory.

doug748

Visit site
Here is a radical thought.

It might be more productive of standards, if all those kids of socially gauche parentage were actually encouraged to go to Disneyland and stay as long as possible.

chanelyacht

Visit site

What about all the families who don't have holidays so that you can enjoy yours?

Talk about being selfish...

chanelyacht

Visit site
NATS is an ongoing national disaster, only a desperate debater would invoke NATS as a positive example to support a theory.

Ooh, something else you're an expert on.

Please explain why it's an "ongoing national disaster" ??? (along of course with the detail of your experience working there that leads to your conclusion).

thecommander

Visit site
What about all the families who don't have holidays so that you can enjoy yours?

Talk about being selfish...

If you can't afford to have family holidays then you can't afford to have family holidays. It's as simple as that. Don't go blaming the bloody council....

I can't afford to own a Porsche and a Hallberg-Rassy, but you don't hear me complaining and blaming the council.

chanelyacht

Visit site
If you can't afford to have family holidays then you can't afford to have family holidays. It's as simple as that. Don't go blaming the bloody council....

I can't afford to own a Porsche and a Hallberg-Rassy, but you don't hear me complaining and blaming the council.

Yep, as I thought, selfish as it's possible to be, and a total ignorance of how holiday economy areas work.

It's not a question of being able to afford holidays, it's the fact that is the family is working to keep their business going because their clientele are holidaymakers, then going away during that period isn't an option.

Or maybe their parents work in services needed to keep the influx of holidaymakers safe.

What children do and when they do it is the parents' responsibility, children are not the property of the state. With attitudes like yours, no wonder home schooling is growing.