Island Packet-are they worth it?

Iain C

Visit site
2010. 41' $335,000.00

Ooooo, where do I sign to own such beauty...

141407.59cb227dec714441d9f6a3fd.xl.jpg

rotrax

Visit site
If the only thing that matters to you is getting somewhere in safety and comfort but you are in no great hurry about it, an IP may very well be the boat for you.

You have nailed there! Except that when we examined our six years of logs from our previous IP we found less than 50% of the time we were sailing. Mostly because we are travellers by water rather than purist sailors.
With the SP Cruiser our passage speed has increased by 1.5 KTS. Average 6.5 KTS over the last 3,000 NM's.

After 45 years of nonstop Motorcycle Racing and coming to sailing late, the feeling of sailing well in a good yacht does not compare to having the front wheel go light at 150MPH + on the TT course in the IOM, or making the gate at in a Speedway race and taking a hard fought win. Perhaps even winning a few bob...............................

An Island Packet SP Cruiser met most of our "Must haves" and nearly all the "Nice to haves"

Apart from the cost, but we got boat we wanted at a price we could afford.

Our previous IP was in remarkable condition when we sold her, and was often mistaken for a three or four year old vessel. She was 16 years old when we sold her two years ago.

Of course they are not the right boat for everyone, but "you pays yer money and takes yer choice" as they say.

Daydream believer

Visit site
.... As opposed to modern flat bottomed fin keeled boats that slam into waves shaking your dentures off Island Packets part waves like knife blades which results in less tiring passages. They might be not so agile in light air but that's what Code 0 and asymmetric spinnakers are. Anyway, each boat has its purpose and if you want to race around cans in a bay any Clorox bottle production boats will do. Take one across an ocean in bad weather, though, and other qualities will quickly become desired. I hope Island Packet factory survives the current "disposable" market trends and keeps building quality yachts, - as one earlier poster mentioned this is pretty much the only choice of a new quality modern full keel cruiser on the market now for someone who is seeking one...

I do get a little fed up with people who run down some of the modern designs. I found this video of a delivery trip of a chap in an RM1270. Now one could not imagine a more way out flat bottomed all out lightweight cruiser/racer. The sort of thing that you are decrying as a poor sea boat. yet in this video the chap has clearly no axe to grind either way & is totally surprised at the comfort under way of the boat . (His own boat is a 40 fter & he has a series of videos of his trips with tips for others & of his experiences.)
I am not in any way trying to suggest that an RM would compare internally with an IP or that I would want to go ocean cruising in one- Give me a Contest or a Rustler any day- but it blows away the myth that a lightweight boat has to "slam into waves shaking your dentures off "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QKmR2miXTw&t=15s

Last edited:

Seven Spades

Visit site
The samller IP's are as ugly as sin. But the 485 upwards have quite nice lines. I think ih is the point where the length is more in proportion to the girth. the cream colour is definetly not to my taste. The main issue is performance and I have read on other forums that there can be an issue with chain plates which are near impossible to access. I don't know if this problem is accross the rage or just affects some models, it would be best to check first if you are thinking of a purchase.

doug748

Visit site
.....Of course they are not the right boat for everyone, but "you pays yer money and takes yer choice" as they say.

Indeed, if you want a roomy, easygoing boat with comfort at sea, how do you avoid paying the premium? Many modern boats are ok but a bit - kiss me quick. So good for you in not following the herd.

Mind you it would not be my choice but that is what all these types of cogitation seem to boil down to in the end.

rotrax

Visit site
The samller IP's are as ugly as sin. But the 485 upwards have quite nice lines. I think ih is the point where the length is more in proportion to the girth. the cream colour is definetly not to my taste. The main issue is performance and I have read on other forums that there can be an issue with chain plates which are near impossible to access. I don't know if this problem is accross the rage or just affects some models, it would be best to check first if you are thinking of a purchase.

Chainplates can be a problem on older models-pre 1999, if regular maintenance to the toerail sealing is not carried out. The tangs for the rigging protrude through the deck and the GE Silpruf seal needs to be renewed every few seasons.

It appears that IP owners are not too interested in pure performance. The vessels have other attributes.

First Mate and two girlfriends entered the RTI Race in 2011. I went as muscle, but the girls sailed our previous boat, an IP 350. Rounding the last corner by the Ryde Sands the wind kicked up to well over 20 knots. Most other entrants were busy reefing. First mate slipped the main a little and the boat roared off, passing most of those who got by earlier in light winds and were now well reefed down.

They like a beam reach, 20 plus knots and they become comfortable mile eaters.

The cream colour is to stop glare under bright sunlight-most are in the tropics-but still allow the deck to be seen at night.

Of course they are not perfect-name a boat that is-but for a certain type of sailing that requires space and comfort plus a great build quality they take some beating.

Not many yachts are as comfortable on the hook or alongside, in my direct experience.

Last edited:

Resolution

Visit site
We have delivered a few Island Packets over the years... Great boats, very seaworthy and comfortable cruisers. What's not to like!

Pete

Pete
The wicked thought runs through my head that you like them because they are comfortable, seaworthy and SLOW - and you usually charge on a time-related basis! Perish the thought!!:)

jonic

www.jryachts.com
We have delivered a few Island Packets over the years... Great boats, very seaworthy and comfortable cruisers. What's not to like!

Pete

Agree with Pete.

We have sailed a few, sold a few and have a few for sale. Coming from a blue water and high quality perspective they are a well engineered, intelligently thought out and very comfortable long distance cruising yacht.

As for speed, Blue Water Sailing magasine said the following of the 485 after a 1500 mile test:

"A shorthanded crew, such as the cruising couple that represent the typical IP customer, will achieve high average speeds without too much effort."

" We crossed the line at the end of our 1,500- mile boat test ahead of a lot of boats that were supposedly faster"

And Sail magasine said:

"The 485 will not bounce around and pound upwind like the lightweights and more often than not will be forgiving and comfortable in all but the worst conditions. I was not expecting grand-prix performance during my test sail off Annapolis, but the 485 was no slouch by any standard."

They are serious offshore cruisers. I really like them. :encouragement:

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>And that was, IMHO, the show-stopper. Her sailing characteristics left me distinctly unimpressed.
They may be built like a brick outhouse, alas they handle like one too.

Having seen them sailing in the Caribbean that is true.

rostyvyg

Visit site
We looked at IP 370 / 380 - would you include both models in your ‘dream to sail’ category?

Tough question.

IP 380 sails a bit better in light air then IP370 and has in my opinion better layout: a slightly larger galley with 2 additional feet of counter-top space (IP380 galley is exactly the same as IP420) and a dedicated nav station. It is easier to access IP380 engine for maintenance as well.

What I like about IP370 is it has chain locker access from the deck via a hatch, watertight bulkhead that separates chain locker and it has a dedicated shower stall (a bid selling point to ladies).

On another hand, IP 370 has a fiberglass holding tank and chainplates of new design. An aluminum holding tank of IP380 corrodes at seams and by now must be replaced - $8,000 expense. IP380 chainplates are thinner, made out of 304 stainless steel and their attachment to the hull does not have draining holes, thus it accumulates water and might have facilitate chainplate corrosion. IP 370 has thicker chainplaits made out of 316L stainless steel, also the hull where chainplates have been glassed into has weeping holes.

So, if I were on a market, I would probably buy an IP380, have holding tank and chainplates immediately replaced ($18,000 to address both issues, make sure you have chainplates manufactured from titanium if you are at it ) and have a better boat then IP370 for the same or less amount of money in total. And that would be a boat which could take you to infinity and beyond...

Anyway, I went through deliberations already, currently own an IP420 and can't be happier.

BTW, I am often the only boat out there when the weather turns to be on a breeze side often wondering where have all boy racers gone to wait it out...

rostyvyg

Visit site
Pink hulls!

Why would anyone call this color pink???! Seriously, when i read that 1 out of 10 men is color blind I thought that to be an exaggeration. Now, I am not sure.

The Island Packet hull color is ivory, - like of traditional billiard balls. And, BTW, it has a purpose (as pretty much everything else about Island Packets) - it significantly lessens the sun's glare and does not reflect much of UV light, reducing eye fatigue and other negative effects on the eyes and skin. A lot of thought went into design of those boats, - it is just a shame no one digs into details an gives Bob Johnson appropriate credit.

rotrax

Visit site
If it's what you want, and you can afford it, then yes, it's worth it.

You have said in 14 words what I more or less said in post#22.

Kellies eye's comments lead me to ask if he has ever been on an IP, or ever sailed on one.

His comments and the quote do seem somewhat at odds with the posts by Halcyon Yachts and Blue Water Magazine. And my own direct experience.

To JumbleDuck-our IP is not pink!

They are not everyones cup of tea, thats for sure. We live aboard minimum 5 months every year and although other boats would also be suitable for this, due to our-ever worsening-physical problems, the Island Packet SP Cruiser is as close as we could find to the ideal boat-FOR US.

Note the "for us". Thats what choice is all about.

dunedin

Visit site
If it's what you want, and you can afford it, then yes, it's worth it.

As ever it makes sense to consider what the alternatives are for similar prices. Not sure what the price premium for Island Packets are, but for a serious cruiser for a bit more dosh I would want to compare with Najad, HR, X-Cruising etc (which are lovely and tend to sail well as we’ll as being seaworthy - and easier on the eye, at least to me)

ip485

Visit site
It is popular to comment they are slow. My 485 isnt quick, but it is a reasonably large boat. So it benefits from its water line length and its sea kindliness. Above a F3 it will go all day and all night without fuss, working its way up to a steady 8 knots, and will keep going in pretty much the toughest conditions so, over a reasonable distance, it gradually grinds the opposition into the ground, or at least most crew! Of course its not a racing yacht, and of course a well run racing yacht of similiar size will cross the line first, but the 485 will not be that far behind (as many results show) and the 485s crew will be ready to carry on, while the rest will want a days recovery time ��.