Is this the way YBW members normally behave?

Slycat

Visit site
Same

Something similar happened to me with 2 sellers on the for sale forum.

Didnt hear anything back for ages after we agreed a sale and a price. One just decided to readvertise for a higher price on the forum and the other sold locally and didnt bother to let me know till I chased him up again.

Of course I've had a few good buys in the past too.

salinia

Visit site
There is no qualifying exam to be a YBW member. Most people here are, in my experience nice, friendly and helpful - and if there is the occasional paranoid fruitcake (don't I know it :rolleyes:) or broken promise around, that's just the grand scheme of things and not worth worrying about.

For what it's worth, I think the seller made a mistake in not continuing at the agreed price, but if he changed his mind quickly (as seems to be the case), and since the agreed price was less than he asked, it doesn't seem like the Crime of the Centrury.

Kiss and make up, guys. Life's too short for pointless online vendettas (vendetti? vendette? vendettæ?).

Yrs pacifically

Übergeek
Well it is National kissing day today :)
Did we have one last year?

Jamesuk

Visit site
At that point you had a contract. He has cause to complain.

Not worth resorting to the courts though.

In my opinion, sending a cheque is a waste of time as banks are not going to guarantee them shortly if not already. To add we live in a fast world where decisions to purchase are instant and paid instantly. You should realise this and had you really wanted it at the lower price paid for it ASAP. Clearly at 100 you were getting a bargain if others would pay full asking price.

I feel for the seller HAD he sold it to you. He would have had to send the item by post at cost to him and then had to make a special arrangement to visit the bank to deposit the cheque.

I think instead of moaning about it, you should take it as experience and pay quickly next time. OR open up a Twitter account.

As for those mentioning contracts - Again in my opinion, A Verbal-(****) contract is such BS there should not be such a thing. If there is then it should only last 6 hours or less if payment is not made or paper contracts not signed

Flying Penguin

Visit site
As for those mentioning contracts - Again in my opinion, A Verbal-(****) contract is such BS there should not be such a thing. If there is then it should only last 6 hours or less if payment is not made.

You may not want there to be, but there is such a thing until such time as the law is changed. So can we call you a "contract law denier"? :D And any reason for 6 hours? Payment by cheque is quite a common method.

The seller did not have to accept, he was under no obligation to take less or to post it. He chose to. He should have stood by his word, irrespective of the legalities of it.

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
There is no qualifying exam to be a YBW member. Most people here are, in my experience nice, friendly and helpful - and if there is the occasional paranoid fruitcake (don't I know it :rolleyes:) or broken promise around, that's just the grand scheme of things and not worth worrying about.....

....Kiss and make up, guys. Life's too short for pointless online vendettas (vendetti? vendette? vendettæ?).

Exactly, im sorry, not please all just chill out. What a waste of time...
I promise there will be full terms and conditions listed next time, obviously me saying:-

"...if it doesnt sell, but only been on there 10mins! give it a week if it doesnt sell, its yours."

was not clear enough.

Sorry, Sorry Sorry, now stop moaning!, i am a normal nice chap, honestly :)

Flying Penguin

Visit site
Sorry, Sorry Sorry, now stop moaning!, i am a normal nice chap, honestly :)

Used this in another thread today, but seems appropriate:

group-hug.jpg

:D

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
In my opinion, sending a cheque is a waste of time as banks are not going to guarantee them shortly if not already. To add we live in a fast world where decisions to purchase are instant and paid instantly. You should realise this and had you really wanted it at the lower price paid for it ASAP. Clearly at 100 you were getting a bargain if others would pay full asking price.

I feel for the seller HAD he sold it to you. He would have had to send the item by post at cost to him and then had to make a special arrangement to visit the bank to deposit the cheque.

I think instead of moaning about it, you should take it as experience and pay quickly next time. OR open up a Twitter account.

As for those mentioning contracts - Again in my opinion, A Verbal-(****) contract is such BS there should not be such a thing. If there is then it should only last 6 hours or less if payment is not made or paper contracts not signed

Thanks for the support!
All these people accusing me of not being a gentleman, what a load of crock!
It was a bargain, you missed it, wake up and pay quicker next time, sorry, bad luck, now good bye, i am off sailing!

For what its worth, that chap that bought it send me a PM after saying how happy he was with it at the price and what a nice chap i am :)

Funny!

Colvic Watson

Visit site
banksy_coppers_sml.jpg

A kiss and a cuddle can change the world. that's what I said to the local plod when they said i'd been speeding but it could easily apply to this thread.

Tintin

Visit site
Mattnj. However you try to rationalise it your actions have shown many that thete is a risk in dealing with you. Your loss really. And your choice. Clearly your conscience is clear. Im glad for you.

Visit site
Gazumping not legal in Scotland I believe...they seem to have it right in a lot cases....

Not true. You can make an offer without making a contract in Scotland as you can in England so you could "gazump" in exactly the same way. But thats not their traditional way of buying and selling houses so it doesnt happen. Just like it doesnt happen in England when you buy at auction..

Spyro

Visit site
Mattnj. However you try to rationalise it your actions have shown many that thete is a risk in dealing with you. Your loss really. And your choice. Clearly your conscience is clear. Im glad for you.

Yes the risk is if you don't pay up quick enough you might lose out. The OP took a chance on offering a low price. The seller got a better offer and cash in hand with a buyer picking up. He could have hung on and the Op could have changed his mind and pulled out.
A bird in the hand and all that.....
I don't think Mattnj has done anything terribly wrong and it's not a very gentlemanly thing for the OP to make such a big thing of it on a public forum. Yes he kept the seller anonymous but it's not difficult to do a search and see that it was Mattnj that he was talking about.

Last edited:

muyuu

Visit site
Yes the risk is if you don't pay up quick enough you might lose out. The OP took a chance on offering a low price. The seller got a better offer and cash in hand with a buyer picking up. He could have hung on and the Op could have changed his mind and pulled out.
A bird in the hand and all that.....
I don't think Mattnj has done anything terribly wrong and it's not a very gentlemanly thing for the OP to make such a big thing of it on a public forum. Yes he kept the seller anonymous but it's not difficult to do a search and see that it was Mattnj that he was talking about.

Do you also listen to offers after having agreed to a price with someone?

Last edited:

clyst

Visit site
Since we are all"pals"
cloud9.gif
here I would have thought the op'er would have been pleased that the vendor made a better price .
smiley-eatdrink062.gif

robertj

Visit site
I feel as soon as the seller responded with 'if it doesn't sell in a week.......' I personally would have walked away from the deal.
But that's life it's not worth all the hassle, bit of a storm in a tea cup?!

SimbaDog

Visit site
There is no qualifying exam to be a YBW member. Most people here are, in my experience nice, friendly and helpful - and if there is the occasional paranoid fruitcake (don't I know it :rolleyes:) or broken promise around, that's just the grand scheme of things and not worth worrying about.

For what it's worth, I think the seller made a mistake in not continuing at the agreed price, but if he changed his mind quickly (as seems to be the case), and since the agreed price was less than he asked, it doesn't seem like the Crime of the Centrury.

Kiss and make up, guys. Life's too short for pointless online vendettas (vendetti? vendette? vendettæ?).

Yrs pacifically

Übergeek

+1