Is there an ultimate first liveaboard sailing boat for a bachelor?

WADADM

Visit site
Hello my fellow boaty-types ☺️

Thank you for clicking in for a look.

Is there an ultimate first liveaboard for a bachelor?

How big do you need to go to get 6ft headroom?

Designed for single-handed sailing?

To keep this in realms of reality for the majority let's keep budget under £20k? What's possible?

A boat that will be strong enough to sail from the UK to the Med, Portugal, maybe even the Azores...

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

No, there is no ultimate liveaboard boat - boats are not generally designed for living aboard for extended periods, although of course many people do use them in this way accepting the compromises necessary to live in a way that is acceptable to them.

While there are certain boats that have proved popular in the past because of their combination of space, seaworthiness and cost it is becoming increasingly difficult to find them in your price range in a condition that is appropriate for what you plan to do. The purchase cost is just an entry ticket to a lifetime of expenditure, be it annual running costs or maintenance/upgrades plus while in the UK it is also difficult to find moorings that will permit living aboard with any degree of security. Then once you start to move south, if you are a UK citizen there are severe limitations on the time you can spend in the EU, which is all the states on the way to the Med, and all the northern shore when you get there.

In terms of size think 30' minimum and perhaps 35' maximum and probably go for one of the popular production boats where there is more choice in the UK. While not designed specifically for single handing most will have been updated with better sail handling gear and even good things like electric anchor windlasses as well as domestic gear like fridge, hot water and reasonable nav gear.

Happy hunting.

cherod

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

No, there is no ultimate liveaboard boat - boats are not generally designed for living aboard for extended periods, although of course many people do use them in this way accepting the compromises necessary to live in a way that is acceptable to them.

While there are certain boats that have proved popular in the past because of their combination of space, seaworthiness and cost it is becoming increasingly difficult to find them in your price range in a condition that is appropriate for what you plan to do. The purchase cost is just an entry ticket to a lifetime of expenditure, be it annual running costs or maintenance/upgrades plus while in the UK it is also difficult to find moorings that will permit living aboard with any degree of security. Then once you start to move south, if you are a UK citizen there are severe limitations on the time you can spend in the EU, which is all the states on the way to the Med, and all the northern shore when you get there.

In terms of size think 30' minimum and perhaps 35' maximum and probably go for one of the popular production boats where there is more choice in the UK. While not designed specifically for single handing most will have been updated with better sail handling gear and even good things like electric anchor windlasses as well as domestic gear like fridge, hot water and reasonable nav gear.

Happy hunting.
Please note OP states “ under £20 “

Boathook

Visit site
I think that your budget is a problem for a start. You may find a suitable boat in that price range but it will require money being spent on it to make it suitable for long term cruising. A lot depends on how much risk you are prepared to take. The more risk less expenditure.

WADADM

Visit site
Hey Tranona,

Thanks for the lengthy reply, appreciate all you've shared.

I've some experience as a liveaboard for three years (narrowboats on the UK canals), but I sold my last boat a few years back now and missing the boaty life. Have done plenty of sailing, but this is potentially a big new adventure.

If I need to reassess budget, that's doable, just didn't the thread to go down the rabbit hold of boats like the new Oyster 495...

KevinV

Visit site
The ultimate first liveaboard for a bachelor is the boat that is in decent order within your budget - and your ongoing budget is far more important than the purchase budget. There are some cracking boats out there for that money but you need patience and luck to find them.

Costs go up in powers, ie an extra foot in length means your sails go up in size by square feet and your hull maintenence, by cubed feet. Boats are terrible money pits, but as a liveaboard you do have the benefit of doing all the work yourself.

For living on in anything resembling comfort, and covering distances, I'd personally be looking for 30+ feet, 36 being a nice size in older boats. People do it with less, but I couldn't.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Westerly Fulmar. Should get one within budget & just enough room. OK to sail SH & the boat is strong. Plenty of support for repairs/upgrades which you will need. But buying any boat is only the start. You need an annual budget for maintenance. Possibly a bilge keel version might be better for beaching & scrubs etc. You do not have to hire a stand etc at a marina & it is easier to get dried out for quick repairs between tides. Excellent sea boat.
Forget the med for the first 2 years. Stay in the uk & get the boat well sorted first, where you can get access to all the work that you may need. You can learn the foibles of the boat before wandering afield
No, I do not have one so cannot be accused of bias

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
Westerly Fulmar. Should get one within budget & just enough room. OK to sail SH & the boat is strong. Plenty of support for repairs/upgrades which you will need. But buying any boat is only the start. You need an annual budget for maintenance. Possibly a bilge keel version might be better for beaching & scrubs etc. You do not have to hire a stand etc at a marina & it is easier to get dried out for quick repairs between tides. Excellent sea boat.
Forget the med for the first 2 years. Stay in the uk & get the boat well sorted first, where you can get access to all the work that you may need. You can learn the foibles of the boat before wandering afield
No, I do not have one so cannot be accused of bias
We lived on our Moody 33 in the UK for about a year before leaving. Most of our Alterations and Additions we did in Mainland Spain. So it's quite possible to find high quality work in other countries. (y)

RAI

Visit site
Maybe look at what boat you can buy in the EU and the visa to residence rules in say, Portugal, that are quite forgiving even for non EU citizens, especially pensioners.
My choice was a Coronet Elvstrom 38, a motorsailor, which allows the wheelhouse to be part of the living aboard space. I sailed it single handed around the UK and down to the Algarve in 2009 / 2010.

cherod

Visit site
Maybe look at what boat you can buy in the EU and the visa to residence rules in say, Portugal, that are quite forgiving even for non EU citizens, especially pensioners.
My choice was a Coronet Elvstrom 38, a motorsailor, which allows the wheelhouse to be part of the living aboard space. I sailed it single handed around the UK and down to the Algarve in 2009 / 2010.
I imagine there are a few good Colvics around for that money 👍

Goldie

Visit site
Purchase price of course, is just a start and there will alway be more to spend than you expect. I’d be looking for a boat with the ‘big ticket’ items updated - engine, rigging, sails etc.

My penny’s worth is to maybe look at Moody 33 or 333, or a Westerly 33 or Discus. The asking price for a good one will be towards the upper end of your budget but you hinted in #6 that some budget adjustment might be doable.

www.apolloduck.co.u.k is as good a place as any to start looking.

Good luck in your search.

WADADM

Visit site
The ultimate first liveaboard for a bachelor is the boat that is in decent order within your budget - and your ongoing budget is far more important than the purchase budget. There are some cracking boats out there for that money but you need patience and luck to find them.

Costs go up in powers, ie an extra foot in length means your sails go up in size by square feet and your hull maintenence, by cubed feet. Boats are terrible money pits, but as a liveaboard you do have the benefit of doing all the work yourself.

For living on in anything resembling comfort, and covering distances, I'd personally be looking for 30+ feet, 36 being a nice size in older boats. People do it with less, but I couldn't.
Great advice, agreed with all of the above. Im trying to get a feel for how much I need to budget for boat, plus £x for repairs/updates/upgrades. Budget can be adjusted, simply means the launch date gets pushed back. Better to do it right than rushed.
Halmatic 30 or Nic31. Both a little long in the tooth now but if you can find a good one . . .

Both are eminently ocean capable.
Thank you 🙏 I’ll look out in my searches.
That’s a good shout, hadn’t considered that approach. Wheelhouse for additional living space is a great one to consider on a smaller boat for sure, Sounds like you had a great adventure!
I imagine there are a few good Colvics around for that money 👍
Thank you, I’ll look out for one of those too.

14K478

Visit site
Going a little smaller but still with standing headroom, Vertue and Twister.

The iron law of living aboard as you already know is “have very little stuff but make sure it is the best quality that money can buy!”

ylop

Visit site
Interesting choice of the word bachelor to describe your living arrangement. To my mind that very much suggests someone is quite keen to attract partner(s) whether long or short term? That’s potentially a slightly different ideal boat from one who is looking for peaceful isolation?

Daydream believer

Visit site
We lived on our Moody 33 in the UK for about a year before leaving. Most of our Alterations and Additions we did in Mainland Spain. So it's quite possible to find high quality work in other countries. (y)
Did you buy the Moody 33 for less than £20K though? & was it up to scratch for sailing that far before you left at £20K?
The OP would have a £20K budget to buy his boat maintain it & get to Spain . I do not think that will be so easy. Yes if the budget was higher.
What was yours? £20K?

dansaskip

seabear.uk
No one has mentioned a Vancouver 27 maybe just within your price range or Vancouver 28 but more expensive. Both superb Ocean going boats they might be old but they are worth it and worth considering. People might suggest they are too small but. that is not my opinion. Anyway mine served me well sailing to Spain , Portugal across the Atlantic through the Caribbean and then across Pacific to NZ.