Is there a security risk naming a tender?

hoped4

Visit site
If you name your tender e.g 'TT yacht name' is this a security risk, showing that you are ashore and your boat is probably unattended OR is it better to name it so that you can identify it, if indeed the tender itself is stolen, or breaks loose etc. etc? Any thoughts consensus?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Does depend a bit where you are. However, we've always marked our dinghy T/T and never had any problems in eight years in the Med. I've always thought that the opportunist thief will not be spotting dinghies on the shore, making a list and then trying to find your yacht amongst all the others in the anchorage. Rather, a scrote will be hanging round the anchorage, looking for boats with no dinghies attached and devoting their attentions to those.

I also seem to recall that some countries also get a bit crinkly lipped about dinghies which cannot be identified as T/T, tending to treat them as separate vessels and requiring separate insurance and registration documents. That can be avoided by marking the boat as T/T.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
Does depend a bit where you are. However, we've always marked our dinghy T/T and never had any problems in eight years in the Med. I've always thought that the opportunist thief will not be spotting dinghies on the shore, making a list and then trying to find your yacht amongst all the others in the anchorage. Rather, a scrote will be hanging round the anchorage, looking for boats with no dinghies attached and devoting their attentions to those.

I also seem to recall that some countries also get a bit crinkly lipped about dinghies which cannot be identified as T/T, tending to treat them as separate vessels and requiring separate insurance and registration documents. That can be avoided by marking the boat as T/T.

+ 1

nortada

Visit site
If worried why not paint the name on the bottom of the dinghy in large letters?

Invisible when the dinghy is hauled up ashore but makes dinghy easy to identify should it go missing. ???

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
I don't see the point of putting TT yacht name on a dinghy. I always put a SS chain through the outboard handle with a loop and padlock, the fuel container then a padlocked loop around a stanchion. I did the same on a pontoon cleat. No chance of it being stolen.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I don't see the point of putting TT yacht name on a dinghy. I always put a SS chain through the outboard handle with a loop and padlock, the fuel container then a padlocked loop around a stanchion. I did the same on a pontoon cleat. No chance of it being stolen.

I think Vic (Sailaboutvic) might have a story to tell about whether chaining the engine to the dinghy and the dinghy to the dock is a guaranteed anti-theft solution. ;)

Richard

Sandyman

Visit site
I think Vic (Sailaboutvic) might have a story to tell about whether chaining the engine to the dinghy and the dinghy to the dock is a guaranteed anti-theft solution. ;)

Richard

And there was me thinking people would be kind & not mention that :)

rivonia

Visit site

Yup that is what any long term live aboard should do. We did it.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
I don't see the point of putting TT yacht

As Duncan says you can have problems in some countries.

Here's the relevant quote from my web site, the "Going Foreign" page

Tenders
Boats over 2.4m LOA, or with engines above a certain power, must be registered if used in some European countries. This is very rarely checked except within bathing areas. Mark your tender "T/T boat name". It's then part of your boat's inventory. The tender, its motor, and their serial numbers should be included in your insurance documents.

Portugal and Greece call for small vessels to be registered. Maybe others do, as well. I've had a couple of reports from the Algarve where tenders have been warned they may not travel more than 500m from the mother ship . . . on both occasions they were ticked off for not switching the motor off when approaching a beach. Generally, this doesn't seem to be policed, unless there's a public complaint.

Last edited:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

I hope it's a long chain. One of my pet hates is the antisocial habits of people tying their tenders up short to a pontoon. Enough line/chain to allow others to nose you aside and land please.

I'm getting a long length of wire made up with eyes in each end for exactly this purpose.

VicS

Visit site
It is a requirement of the boat yard that dinghies are marked "T/T Yacht name". Any not so identified are likely to be disposed of.