Is the Blue water sailor extinct?

katiestevetabor

Visit site
We were pleased that a surveyor was very complimentary about our 1998 44' lifting keel aluminium yacht and valued her at 290,000€. She is set up to cross the pond and we therefore advised him that our sales pitch was going to be to the 'go anywhere' blue water sailor. He said that such persons were extinct. Is this true? We are putting our boat up for sale (probably on Boats.com) in the Adriatic and were somewhat concerned by this statement.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
We were pleased that a surveyor was very complimentary about our 1998 44' lifting keel aluminium yacht and valued her at 290,000€. She is set up to cross the pond and we therefore advised him that our sales pitch was going to be to the 'go anywhere' blue water sailor. He said that such persons were extinct. Is this true? We are putting our boat up for sale (probably on Boats.com) in the Adriatic and were somewhat concerned by this statement.
France, try and sell it in France and if in VG conditions it will go very rapidly; there is a huge 2nd hand market for that type of boats. Garcia, Allure, Ovni, Cigale, Boreal etc one comes out second hand and if ok it is sold very quickly.
Maybe ask the broker to provide a French translation of the advert.

stranded

Visit site
But it may be true of buyers of such boats in the Med because they would have to pass through the killing zone that is the Gib Straits, at least until Burnitblue gets his sh1t together and sorts out those damn Orcas.

Tranona

Visit site
As suggested, market is good for such boats but being located where it a barrier. However if it is promoted in the areas where more potential buyers live - for example NW Europe you will attract buyers who are willing to travel to view.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Katie
we leaving on a jet plane :)
not heard from you and Steve for a while .
chrissy says Hi .

now there a blue water boat if I ever seen one ,

Last edited:

Visit site
Perhaps true too the extent that a lot of what used to be blue water is now decidedly grotty.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Although this is not a boat I would necessarily go for, as a current buyer, I would not be put off by the location. At almost €300K if the buyer isn't prepared to travel anywhere in Europe to view, then they are perhaps not serious.

... as for blue water sailors being a dying breed, I think the surveyor was right. Anyone cruising in a modern(ish) AWB is by definition not a blue water cruiser, no matter where they turn up. Anyone entering the ARC in a Bavaria 44 for example, can't be a true blue-water sailor because of their choice of boat.

Garcia, Amel, Ovni, Discovery etc. use the term "Blue water" to set themselves apart from production boats - that's why people buy them. If you want to be labelled a "blue water sailor" then you have to have a "blue water boat".

Enter the ARC in an AWB and you are only a pretender to the title - and should rightly be suffering from imposter syndrome.

... all according to true "Blue Water Sailors" ;)

Tranona

Visit site
Element of truth there. AWBs appeal to a broader market from floating apartments to ocean sailing. "Blue water" boats mainly appeal to to just one end of that spectrum. However many are still bought and used at the other end." I would guess the specific boat the OP has is too narrowly targeted to appeal to the floating apartment end in the same way as for example a Discovery or Oyster might!

srm

Visit site
Lots of sailing boats pass through the Azores, and we are surrounded by "blue water" as these volcanic islands are surrounded by oceanic depths. So perhaps not extinct if you are referring to the people on board them. As to the boats, quite a lot of AWBs of which I have seen a few here minus important appendages such as masts or rudders.

capnsensible

Visit site
There are thousands of blue water people out there.

We lived aboard in Gib for several extended periods and it was a very busy place for yachts passing through on extended cruises.

We have now spent a number of years in the Canaries and see hundreds and hundreds passing through every year.

Further afield the queue to get through the Panama Canal is continuously re filling as other yachts go through.

It's a big world out there and loadsa sailors are doing it. :)

Visit site
There are thousands of blue water people out there.

We lived aboard in Gib for several extended periods and it was a very busy place for yachts passing through on extended cruises.

We have now spent a number of years in the Canaries and see hundreds and hundreds passing through every year.

Further afield the queue to get through the Panama Canal is continuously re filling as other yachts go through.

It's a big world out there and loadsa sailors are doing it. :)
I have messed about in boats on and off for eighty odd years.I have been a live aboard. I have done deliveries.I have crossed Biscay several times.I have never thought of calling myself a blue water sailor.