Is the Blue water sailor extinct?

srm

Visit site
Presumably you also exclude the Med.so, just as a point of interest,what is your definition ?

Once beyond the edge of the continental shelf the colour of the sea changes and can appear to be a deep inky blue, hence the term "blue water sailing". I understand it to mean sailing in oceanic depths beyond the edge of the continental shelf, or as @geem said "ocean sailing".

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Once beyond the edge of the continental shelf the colour of the sea changes and can appear to be a deep inky blue, hence the term "blue water sailing". I understand it to mean sailing in oceanic depths beyond the edge of the continental shelf, or as @geem said "ocean sailing".
Biscay abyssal plain is over 4500m so blue water or not?

srm

Visit site
Biscay abyssal plain is over 4500m so blue water or not?
An abyssal plain is, by definition, at an oceanic depth. So yes, if you look at a bathymetric chart part of SW of the Bay of Biscay would qualify as the edge of the continental shelf is in to the bay (depending on how you define the western boundry of the bay). However, I only gave a general definition and am not arguing that specific areas are or are not "blue water".

geem

Visit site
See also Calypso Deep in the Mediterranean "Ocean", at 5,100m.
Doesn't count. Its the Mediterranean Sea not ocean. You aren't far from land. You boat doesn't need to be prepared for 3 or 4 weeks at sea as you would do crossing the Pacific. You are theoretically close enough from shore to avoid bad weather, but I know it doesn't always work like that. Sailors get into difficulty costal sailing in the UK

katiestevetabor

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. That is good news.
Hi to Vic and Chrissy. We are still travelling. Last winter in S America, this winter in Southern Africa. And we'll keep sailing in the summer until we sell the boat.
I guess we could sail her back to Spain, but we've been round the Med twice already, so would prefer to sell her in the Adriatic. We'll see how it goes.

srm

Visit site
O.K if you nip across to the Azores ?
Oceanic depths and beautiful blue water (if a little cool at times) all around the islands.

Quite a bit more than needed to qualify for RYA Yachtmaster Ocean though. When I did it, heading to Arctic Norway, they only wanted 500 miles with part of it 100 miles plus from the nearest coast so there was no need to cross the continental shelf or go much more than 24 hours from shelter.

Last edited:

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Oceanic depths and beautiful blue water (if a little cool at times) all around the islands.

Quite a bit more than needed to qualify for RYA Yachtmaster Ocean though. When I did it, heading to Arctic Norway, they only wanted 500 miles with part of it 100 miles plus from the nearest coast so there was no need to cross the continental shelf or go much more than 24 hours from shelter.
Have completed a qualifying passage on board a sailing or motor yacht up to 500gt1 which meets the following criteria:

• 600M including at least 200M more than 50 miles from land or charted objects capable of being used for navigation;
  • Duration of at least 96 hours;
  • The candidate must have taken a full part in the planning and preparation of the passage, including: navigational plan, checking the material condition of the yacht and her equipment; storing with spare gear, fuel, water and victuals.
  • Throughout the passage, the candidate must have acted in a responsible capacity, either in sole charge of a watch or as skipper.
  • Candidates must have successfully navigated a yacht at sea by astro navigation. As a minimum this should include the planning, reduction, and plotting of a sun-run-meridian altitude or sun-run-sun sight and a compass check carried out using the bearing of the sun, moon, a star or planet.
The minimum qualifying passage must have been accrued within 10 years of the examination date.