Is the Blue water sailor extinct?

Gsailor

Visit site
We were pleased that a surveyor was very complimentary about our 1998 44' lifting keel aluminium yacht and valued her at 290,000€. She is set up to cross the pond and we therefore advised him that our sales pitch was going to be to the 'go anywhere' blue water sailor. He said that such persons were extinct. Is this true? We are putting our boat up for sale (probably on Boats.com) in the Adriatic and were somewhat concerned by this statement.
No it is not true - a look at YouTube will show a lot.

Good luck

boomerangben

Visit site
A Quick Look at the Marine traffic plot for the Atlantic between Spain and the Caribbean, there are no shortage of yachts crossing blue water. Whether that makes them blue water sailors is another thing

RupertW

Visit site
A Quick Look at the Marine traffic plot for the Atlantic between Spain and the Caribbean, there are no shortage of yachts crossing blue water. Whether that makes them blue water sailors is another thing
Most of us are not blue water sailors - we cross oceans in utterly unsafe and unsuitable boats made for comfort and living well and just happen to be able to cross oceans a fraction faster than proper boats.

Thanks to the kind of advice of people in proper blue water boats I assume that most of us AWB owners perish on the way across and I’ve just been lucky.

geem

Visit site
Most of us are not blue water sailors - we cross oceans in utterly unsafe and unsuitable boats made for comfort and living well and just happen to be able to cross oceans a fraction faster than proper boats.

Thanks to the kind of advice of people in proper blue water boats I assume that most of us AWB owners perish on the way across and I’ve just been lucky.
Let's hope you have nice weather for the West to East crossing. I am sure you know its isn't the same reliable weather as the Trade wind route out to the Caribbean

Tomaret

Visit site
I did Chatham Queenborough Ramsgate and back last February, does that qualify me as a Brown Water sailor?
It may not qualify you for anything, but it might get you certified😀. (Truth to tell, I’m slightly envious that you have the determination to did it.)