Is it a matter of boat design?

JamesS

Visit site
This may be a statement of the obvious, but does hull design make a particular boat more liable to pick up stray nets and line.

All of the boats I met this summer who had been fouled (see my earlier post) were of bilge keel design.

Just think - a pair of keels doing say 6 knots - just sweep all the debris directly onto the prop and rudder.

If the rudder isn't skeg mounted then you have an even bigger problem.

Just a thought.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Underwater shape obviously makes a big difference.

Long keel with cutaway forefoot (like our Albin Vega) means you can pretty much sail or motor over anything with impunity (and indeed Vega sailors I met in Ireland often do, as it can save a tedious trip round the long salmon nets you often come across on the W coast)

Fin keelers with the propshaft on a P-bracket can get into serious trouble if they either don't have an effective rope cutter or don't stop the engine in time, as the propshaft can twist and tear the (often remarkably fragile) p-bracket out of the hull. This happened to a friend of mine just off Eastbourne - he caught a hefty bit of floating line and was towed into Sovereign Harbour with the boat rapidly filling with water. He lost a week and about a grand in repair costs. This was on a delivery from NE Scotland to Tenerife, and the ironic thing was he had just fitted a rope cutter for the first time in many years of sailing . . . sadly not the best design, as it turned out.

(The boat was a Moody 33S Mk1, not noted for their flimsy construction . . .)

- Nick