International politics - BOATY!

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Given the dire state of relations now between the Governments of France and Great Britain (and forgetting the rights and wrongs) - and given my impending departure to said France - is this governmental ill feeling extending to relations between ourselves and the French people?

Any feedback from those on the spot would be particularly welcome.

Thanks

Magic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

snowleopard

Visit site
very much doubt that the aggravation would extend to the man in the street but i suspect that once the war is over there will be a settling of scores which could have repercussions on anyone travelling to france. it could be all the excuse needed for those french officials who get a buzz out of giving foreigners a hard time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re: No probs last week

Just as we've never taken them to task about not importing British Beef after the BSE crisis was over - despite the fact that the French and German Agricultural industries are rife with BSE and Foot and Mouth disease, or the fact that British Supermarkets choose to import French and German Milk rather than support our own Agriculture Industry -or the fact that the French export food products which bear the Organic label when they are not Organic - once we've had our scrap with Iraq we'll soon move back to the same old ways of consistently failing to support or protect our own interests.
Lets not even discuss refugees.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: No probs last week

Magic,
I always find, 'ton pere, qu'est qu'il a fait pendent la guerre?' is a cheery and pleasant conversation starter with any French official of my own generation. If he replies 'mon pere a quitte la France pour continuer la lutte a cote du general de Gaulle' ask him what his mother did. It never fails to win friends

<hr width=100% size=1>

robp

Visit site
Quite a lot of contact, both business and social over the past couple months. No difference.

Was hoping though, that we might be thrown out of the EU now? What was that about between the devil and the deep blue sea? That's us that is.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Out of EU .....

Lost cause that ??? But I suppose there's still hope !!

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

robp

Visit site
Re: Out of EU .....

UKIP seem to think there's still hope! <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.independence.org.uk/home.shtml>they're here</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: the solution

i am going to grow big moustache and wear fatigues at all times.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Sybarite

Visit site
What would you say the attitude would be towards French people visiting the UK?

People do not change fundamentally no matter what country they live in.

When we discuss these things on a personal level in France it's normally on the basis of light hearted banter.

If you find yourself sitting in the cockpit of your boat bring out a bottle and invite the others in boats beside you: " Venez prendre l'apéro avec nous " and they will be delighted. French tend to be a bit reserved but invariably react well when you take the initiative.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dont believe it. Last time I was there, Last year. One of them went completly baserk and that was well before the war!!

<hr width=100% size=1>
ship_in_a_bottle_e0.gif
Haydn

tcm

Visit site
Re: recent report

I was in antibes only a week ago.

No problem at all bout me being english as far as the french were concerned. Interesting, balanced and thoughtful conversations with well-educated taxi drivers to/from the airport.

However, the Belgians on the next table at lunch asked if I was worried. I said no, not worried. I said i thought TB had somehow held the moral high ground despite being pro-war, but I could understand other arguments, as could many if not most.

He said everyone in belgium likened Bush to adolf hitler. I (eventually) told him that that was ridiculous. He prevailed re belgian public opinion, and he was older see? So I responded that anyway nobody cared much what the belgians thought now or anytime for at least 100 years, nor did normal values take too much notice of the french or EU public opinion, really, with the second runner for presidnt being a monster racist, and their most popular ever president running away to hide in the UK during the ww2 whilst the belgians rolled over completely to anyone passing through with guns, and the germans and italians, need i say more? He stomped off.

Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>

RichardPerou

Visit site
I have had the good fortune to have spent the last twelve summers wandering around and through France, Spain, Italy, Tunisia and Greece. With the sole exception of the officials at Bizerte, who have to be bribed, I have never met a public official who was difficult or failed to enjoy the company of my neighbours whether in a marina, at anchor or on a bus.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kingfisher

Visit site
Since when is Belgium a republic?

Thanks for the abbreviated history of Belgium's foreign policy in the 20th century.

Luckily we had the Americans when Jerry was last here, because if we had to count on you lot, we'd still be eating sauerkraut und brattwurst.

At least we get to pass silly Directives and force them on to you :)

You don't make many friends abroad, do you ?

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

claymore

Visit site
A friend of mine

is the Belgian Minister for Chocolate. Said he was having lunch in Antibes last week and was set upon by a very rude younger man who couldn't pronounce his T's - kept saying Bratfud.
Small World.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif