Insurance

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
Amongst the JC instructions are two recommendations, the second of which being....

"at least third party insurance be obtained".

I wondered how many of you did, with whom and how much that insurance premium was?

Noddy

Visit site
I was with Edward William.

They were fine with me cruising the Azores etc. They didn't cover the actual JAC because they insisted that it was a race (which it isn't). But I had full cover getting to Plymouth and after I had arrived in Terciera.

You need to be aware that the broker is in Spain and I understand the underwriter is Northern Reef. I was told they are based in Paraguay but I don't know that for sure. You pays your money....

I have not made a claim but they have been really helpful and reasonable (apart from insisting that JAC 08 was a race).

There are lots of Insurance threads if you look here and on the yahoo forum.

P

helixkimara

Visit site
I managed to get insurance as Noddy, for the Azores but no way would they insure for the single handed crossing. I was already with SAGA and they were very helpful but after repeated visits to the underwriters they said that the underwriters said "Computer says NO" They also insured me for the ocean crossing on the way back if I had one experienced crew (Who happened to be "badly"sea sick for 14 days) So sailed back single handed whille being a nurse. I fancied an ironing board strapped to the bow so I could do some "extreme ironing" at the same time !

theforeman

Visit site
sorry to butt in on you guys - but can i draw your attention to the opening post on the jester forum

" Welcome to the Jester Challenge forum
#1381661 - 12/03/2007 15:05 Edit
Reply Quote Quick Reply

Jake Kavanagh from Practical Boat Owner writes:

The Jester Challenge is a bi-annual event in which boats of under 30ft compete in a single-handed ‘race’ to Atlantic destinations.

In June 2008, the race is from Plymouth to the Azores. In June 2010, it leaves Plymouth for Rhode Island, America. "

perhaps not surprising that at least one insurance broker takes the view it is in fact a race. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

co256

Hmmm....

To insure or not to insure, that is the question?

I have heard (on other ybw forums) that people have been asked to show insurance documents upon arrival at some european destinations.

But at £750 ish I'd be inclined to take my chances.

It is no surprise that the yachting press report the Jester Challenge as a race when the 1st paragraph of the 1st press release clearly states....

"The JAC 08 will be the next in a growing series of trans-ocean races for small sailing vessels and their Corinthian skippers".

But race or otherwise if a £750 premium stands between me and and the JC, I'll do it without!

When Bishop Skinner get back to me I'll let you know their answer.

co256

Bishop Skinner asked for a cv of my experience along with a list of work done to my boat since the survey before purchase....

....still haven't heard back from them, when they do respond I'll let you all know.

Wunja

Visit site
I also had to send a CV to my insurers when upgrading to cover my (aborted) North Sea crossing.
When asking what the CV was for I had the answer "You are welcome to sail the Atlantic in a tin bath, but we won't insure you".
My insured cruising area now includes the Azores. I'm sure there is some thing in the 8 pages of Dutch small print that excludes racing but I couldn't see the word 'Jester' in there anywhere!

Noddy

Visit site
I was discussing this issue with a friend and asked what the 'serious' ocean racers do about insurance. I was told that they are largely uninsured!

Paul

co256

It wouldn't surprise me Noddy and who can blame them when you consider the risk.

As much as anything I just want to keep the authorities happy when I arrive at some far flung harbour when they ask to see insurance papers.

Any thoughts welcome.

co256

Bishop Skinner finally came back with their quote.

They'll insure me to go to the Azores and back single handed but not the race to Newport.

£300 premium with £500 excess but no excess if a total loss.

My current coastal insurance premium is £150.