Large logs blown ashore, Isle of Wight

MikeBz

Visit site
If something's in a grey area but you can't see harm in it, don't ask "can I do it?", just do it. Let them tell you to stop when you've done it or are doing it, don't press them for reasons to stop you before you try.
I agree, but I suspect the question was an out-of-curiosity-what’s-the legality-of-doing-it rather than a can-I-do-it.

dancrane

Visit site
Hmm, trouble is, the more the worthless letter of the law is discussed and scrutinised, the more cornered we're inclined to feel, not by sensible legislation applied and upheld with public consent, but by what is technically (but not realistically) prohibited by law.

In view of the levels of blatant, heinous criminal activity that the over-pressed police force doesn't even attempt to investigate, it's very unfortunate if genuinely harmless actions are talked-up as things not to be considered by the law-abiding.

If in reasonable doubt, don't check and don't enquire. If you've really put a foot wrong, you may be told. But far more likely, you won't, because nobody else knew either, or cared.

Last edited:

Slowboat35

Visit site
Would it be legal to take a chainsaw and chop it up for firewood? Who owns flotsam?
Regardless of that the salt-infused wood will take forever to dry as salt is deliquescent and the salt, combined with the moisture will destroy your woodburner, fire-grate and possibly flue liner too in short order. Driftwood on a bonfire or campfire is fine, but not in a domestic fireplace.

NormanS

Visit site
Regardless of that the salt-infused wood will take forever to dry as salt is deliquescent and the salt, combined with the moisture will destroy your woodburner, fire-grate and possibly flue liner too in short order. Driftwood on a bonfire or campfire is fine, but not in a domestic fireplace.
Well, we used to have an old 60ft converted fishing boat. The multi-fuel stove burned almost exclusively wood from the shore. We carried a chain saw, and cut and split logs in many strange places. The fire, a Morso Squirrel didn't seem to mind at all.