Large logs blown ashore, Isle of Wight

MikeBz

Visit site
If something's in a grey area but you can't see harm in it, don't ask "can I do it?", just do it. Let them tell you to stop when you've done it or are doing it, don't press them for reasons to stop you before you try.
I agree, but I suspect the question was an out-of-curiosity-what’s-the legality-of-doing-it rather than a can-I-do-it.

dancrane

Visit site
Hmm, trouble is, the more the worthless letter of the law is discussed and scrutinised, the more cornered we're inclined to feel, not by sensible legislation applied and upheld with public consent, but by what is technically (but not realistically) prohibited by law.

In view of the levels of blatant, heinous criminal activity that the over-pressed police force doesn't even attempt to investigate, it's very unfortunate if genuinely harmless actions are talked-up as things not to be considered by the law-abiding.

If in reasonable doubt, don't check and don't enquire. If you've really put a foot wrong, you may be told. But far more likely, you won't, because nobody else knew either, or cared.

Last edited:

Slowboat35

Visit site
Would it be legal to take a chainsaw and chop it up for firewood? Who owns flotsam?
Regardless of that the salt-infused wood will take forever to dry as salt is deliquescent and the salt, combined with the moisture will destroy your woodburner, fire-grate and possibly flue liner too in short order. Driftwood on a bonfire or campfire is fine, but not in a domestic fireplace.

NormanS

Visit site
Regardless of that the salt-infused wood will take forever to dry as salt is deliquescent and the salt, combined with the moisture will destroy your woodburner, fire-grate and possibly flue liner too in short order. Driftwood on a bonfire or campfire is fine, but not in a domestic fireplace.
Well, we used to have an old 60ft converted fishing boat. The multi-fuel stove burned almost exclusively wood from the shore. We carried a chain saw, and cut and split logs in many strange places. The fire, a Morso Squirrel didn't seem to mind at all.

dancrane

Visit site
I imagine a large proportion of that weight will be seawater.

I just weighed it with a digital scale, at 8.31kg.

I'll weigh it again on 1st May...and 1st June...1st July...and see how much of the weight drops through a summer hanging in the hot garage.

May 1st.
You were quite right, Mike. 8.31kg has dropped to 6.08kg. I find that pretty astonishing for just 30 days' drying time.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
When on geology field work in Svalbard, many moons ago (1972), we used logs from the sea shore in the iron stoves that equipped cabins used by hunters and as refuges. These were plentiful, even in the inner reaches of fjords. Svalbard has NO trees except for dwarf willow or beech, which is just about big enough to trip over, and even that is confined to the southernmost part of the archipelago.

The logs came down the great rivers of Siberia and were carried across the Arctic ocean in the same manner as Nansen's Fram.

A) they burnt fine - we often had the iron stoves glowing red! And every cabin was equipped with an axe a Viking would be proud of for chopping wood.

B) Any one of them would easily sink a yacht if hit wrong. They would punch a hole at the waterline; they float so keel and most rudders would be safe.

C) I'd imagine the forests of Siberia are a larger source of floating wood than losses from deck cargo or landslides.

D) GRP is probably more resistant, but friends with a plywood boat (60s) were sunk in the North Sea by an encounter with floating timber. In pre VHF days, they were lucky to survive.

NormanS

Visit site
We used to burn logs from the shore on the West Coast of Scotland. A high proportion of these logs were technically soft wood, but were very close grained, indicating that they had grown in a cold climate. Conversely, many had been attacked by teredo worm, indicating warmer water.
Probably these logs had originated in Labrador, been carried south by the Labrador Current, into the warm waters of the Gulf Stream, which then deposited them on our doorstep. Once dried, they burned excellently.

jdc

Visit site
I suspect that the absorption of seawater as opposed to osmosis into the cells (which will absorb less salt) is a strong function of the age of the timber and how dry it is when it goes into the sea.

That is to say, if it goes in to the sea when green, and is then fished out and dried out, the wood, at least in its core. will dry quite readily and burn ok - typical for a Siberian tree trunk. But if it's sawn and dried, and then goes into the sea, it will likely absorb a lot of salt deep within it.

I'm only speculating, but how else do we reconcile the posts in this thread on the one hand warning about it burning badly, being deliquescent and ruining the stove with, on the other hand, others' experience that it dries and burns just fine?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I suspect that the absorption of seawater as opposed to osmosis into the cells (which will absorb less salt) is a strong function of the age of the timber and how dry it is when it goes into the sea.

That is to say, if it goes in to the sea when green, and is then fished out and dried out, the wood, at least in its core. will dry quite readily and burn ok - typical for a Siberian tree trunk. But if it's sawn and dried, and then goes into the sea, it will likely absorb a lot of salt deep within it.

I'm only speculating, but how else do we reconcile the posts in this thread on the one hand warning about it burning badly, being deliquescent and ruining the stove with, on the other hand, others' experience that it dries and burns just fine?
Of course, in the Arctic, wood that is above the strand line is effectively freeze-dried.