Insurance

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
As you will know from previous post i have made a claim with St Margarets. They were very quick in apointing a surveyor and agreed to pay out 12000 euro after only small nogotiation. However they want me to get the work carried out at the yard who gave me the quotation .I would like to do the work myself and to my own standards and have asked for them to pay me direct.I dont think that they want to do this and want me to use the yard. CAN THEY INSIST ? or can I ? cheers bobt

MoodySabre

Visit site
You need to read the policy. Most insurance will re-imburse you for the cost of putting the insured item back in the condition it was before the event. If you do the work yourself then there is less cost because they won't pay you for your labour. I would have thought that it is better to spend your time breathing down the neck of a boatyard ensuring things get done properly.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Yes I think you are right, the thing is a lot of the costs are for instruments which I can get cheaper in uk than in a small yard in Greece am i just greedy as the insurance co have been very good?. cheers bobt

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
am i just greedy

[/ QUOTE ]IMHO, YES. Let the yard do the work - after all it is not costing you anything and you could always ask the yard if they will permit you to "supervise" the work.
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
It is costing me something, I bought them in the first place. I can get better units here, The ones offered by the greek yard, were aprox 30% over uk prices . I want to spend all of the money offered but would like to get better instuments !

gardenshed

Visit site
why don't you speak openly to St Margarets. They appear to have been very open and considerate with you so far, and may agree to have all work excepting the instruments done by the greek yard at their rates and make a seperate payment to you for the instruments.

bobupanddown

Visit site
Unfortunately you cannot use an insurance claim to improve your boat above the condition it was before the accident. This is known as betterment and most policies will not allow this!
Perhaps its better just to let the yard do it to avoid hassle.

billskip

Visit site
Hi rob I missed what happened..How the devil are you?
as for the insurance I can see the point you are trying to make (proberbly cos I know you) however maybe you can upgrade If you agree to pay the differnce and then negotiate with insurers where you purchace...just a thought.

Ever see anything of John and Sarah? Yacht " Catanna" last I heard they gone with Paul to Ionian

I still laugh about the time in Poros and your Polite discussion with the German crew.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hope all goes well for you

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Hi Bill
The sailing yacht Catana started her first world trip by starting going north east from Poros ,Hitting extream bad weather,at Sounion had to seek shelter in a bar in Aigina.

On the second voyage headed north west just missing Methana through the canal and made good progress to Navpaktos where because of Sarah fault got tangled up with fishing boats .had to stay in local taverna for three months, they then carried on west ,brave enought to miss Mesolongion and make it safely to Ay Eufimia (some very good bars here).six months later made good to progress to Spartakhori where sarah now in training runing up and down the hill to get Johns barcardi and coke. I dont think Sarah has been so fit . cheers bobt

billskip

Visit site
Brilliant Bob....they are realy determind..other people on here that read this cant possibly imagine the determination of Catana's crew to achieve sucess..

Bob I cant stop /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif