Info on Rocella Ionica requested

macd

Visit site
Has anyone visited Rocella Ionica recently?
I'm asking because I expect to arrive there during the next week.
I'm well aware of Heikell's convoluted entry route to the harbour. I'm also aware that depths close to the outer breakwater for a more conventional approach were good in 2010 (I took the tender out with a lead line and found depths no less than 5m). However, the area is prone to longshore drift silting, so that may have changed and any up-to-date information would be most welcome.

I gather also that the new chap who takes yer money is a bit on the strident side. Any info on that, or anything else of releveance, would be much appreciated.

SeamanStaines

Visit site
We where in there eight weeks ago and the depths where fine, providing you keep to a channel which is known locally but not buoyed. Generally it is to the north of the entrance and the shoal extends well outside. Its not an issue as you radio them first and they will come out in a RIB and guide you in. Marinero's there are first class! Its a lovely place and I am sure Samantha Tabs will wax lyrical about it shortly :)

macd

Visit site
We where in there eight weeks ago and the depths where fine, providing you keep to a channel which is known locally but not buoyed. Generally it is to the north of the entrance and the shoal extends well outside. Its not an issue as you radio them first and they will come out in a RIB and guide you in. Marinero's there are first class! Its a lovely place and I am sure Samantha Tabs will wax lyrical about it shortly :)

Thanks, Seaman. Are you commending the huge dog-leg route, as recommended by Heikell? As said, this was quite unececessary in 2010 (and 2011), but that may have changed.

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
No to the huge dog leg, as he said the Marineros gave us clear instruction. Yes it's a lovely place, free bicycle loan (leave a small donation for maintenance) seafront cycle path takes you all the way to the square. Good butchers, green grocers, bakeries etc. if you need to stock up there's a large supermarket, reception will book you a taxi which cost 10 euro return.
Marina restaurant serves pizza by the metre.

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
Worth noting that you can anchor just outside the harbour, with shelter except from SW.

If you have bikes, it's an easy ride of about 2K along the main road into town to the Conad supermarket. Safe enough on the hard shoulder.

If you're stuck there for a few days, take the train and bus up to the hill city of Gerace. Awesome.

Tony MS

SeamanStaines

Visit site
No to the huge dog leg
Listen to Samantha at your peril on this one!

You definitely cant go straight in (cut that corner and you will be aground very quickly), the entrance has silted significantly since it was last dredged, we where there in a strong southerly and you could see the waves breaking on the shoal. I would say it is a significant 'dog leg' around the silted area (probably a couple of hundred metres) As I said though they marina is well aware of it and will send a boat out to guide you in. Be aware though that you will not be able to leave the marina in a strong onshore wind and, even if the conditions outside of the marina are acceptable. I would not try to enter at night, but then you can of course easily anchor off the beach and wait for morning.

macd

Visit site
Thanks, all, and I definitely hear what you're saying, Seaman. I suspect Samantha was recommending a dog leg, but one not so large as my old pilot book recommends. I'll call the marina: anyone know what channel they listen on?

I'm an old hand at Rocella pizzas, thanks, so they're on the agenda, too.

Now all I need is some helpful winds. They're all over the place at present. Another weird summer.

homer

Visit site
Here is the relevant extract from my Adriatic Cruising notes (see Noonsite). Visited this April:-
The entrance to Rocella is as bad as ever. We exited in a 1 metre swell and I really would not want to try it in any more than that (well less than a metre under our shallow keel). Fees in Rocella have increased sharply; we were charged 40E for our 38 feet and a 45 footer was charged 50E.

macd

Visit site
Arrived Rocella yesterday evening. As Seaman Staines helpfully explained, the marina despatches a RIB to guide yachts in.

The route is, in fact, much as described by Heikell in the Italian Waters Pilot (at least in my 2006 edition). The only difference is that the wreck on the beach used as a marker is no longer there. Intead, simply head for the short rough rubble breakwater off the beach on a heading a tad east of due north, until reaching the transit (ruined tower astern, port harbour entry light ahead :ambivalence:). Approach the harbour on this transit, entering close to the port-hand mole. We encountered least depths of 2.6m.
Marina staff very helpful, but then they should be at €50 a night.

As said, enter in an onshore sea at your peril.