Votes: 275 50.8%
  • OUT

Votes: 266 49.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Lets make the argument relevant to the Yachting community again; what is going to happen to over 2 million Brits who have migrated to one of the EU countries, permanently or temporarily, many of which are employed directly or indirectly in the yachting industry supporting their families that are likely to live in these countries too.

How is it going to affect them; should they be kicked out of these countries?; be stigmatised as parasitic immigrants? or carry on regardless to what people around them think? Is our Yachting hoby going to suffer?

I never suggested anyone gets kicked out. I referred to natural wastage which is different

I would imagine that a lot of those brits employed in the yachting industry abroad are a fairly mobile workforce or a seasonally employed one (as in the charter industry) Things will not change for them. When they get fed up of swanning around they come home or get a job somewhere else. They will always do that. Those servicing the superyacht industry for example will continue to do so & be suitable mobile.

Brits who live abroad usually contribute to the communities - as do some immigrants here- but they tend not to bring the culture that poorer economic immigrants sometimes bring here. Neither do I suspect they cause a "ghetto culture" in which the population at large feels threatened to enter. As a result they are probably less at risk of rejection as some other cultures

Retired in Crete

Visit site
A farmer, named Sam, was overseeing his herd in a remote hilly pasture in Hereford when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.

The driver, a young man in a Brioni® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the farmer, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?" Sam looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing animals and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"

The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3® cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.

The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany.

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-colour, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the Farmer and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Sam.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car. Then Sam says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"

The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Member of the European Parliament", says Sam.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered Sam. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of pounds worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you think you are; and you don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter. This is a herd of sheep.

Now give me back my dog.

AND THAT FRIENDS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE EU

John

macd

Visit site
When I first saw that story it was about a farmer in the U.S. and an American Politician, got to be atleast 5 years ago now.

Maybe there's a pattern there. That's also where the 'revelations' about the umpteen pages of 'EU' regulations on cabbages actually came from.
BTW, you missed out the triple dose of exclamation marks, without which any 'fact' is clearly of no importance ;)

P.S. I see the crass punctuation in question has been edited, yet still retains its crassness.

Last edited:

fergie_mac66

Visit site
The EU really is objectionable.

The EU strikes at us again. The UK haulage industry which everybody and his dog knows was in difficulty is under attack.

EU interfears with project fear they are sueing us, because of the govenments feeble attempt to help our lorry drivers make a living.The word is that the remainers in the government were hoping that this would not come out until after the referendum. I bet you won't see it on the brussels broadcasting corporation,the bais is unbelievable.
Wait till TTIP arrives and the experts in litigation arrives the Americans. That if we don't manage to Brexit.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/664468/European-Commission-sue-Britain-weeks-before-Brexit-vote

If Mr Cameron had any cajones, he would stand up and say he's made a mistake.

Last edited:

Jamesuk

Visit site
A Quick break from all this EU banter:

"At a reception soon after its launch the Daily Mail’s owner, Lady Rothermere asked him, "How is your lovely little furry thing?" Trog replied, "Fine thank you. How is yours?" The cartoonist had to beat a quick retreat after that quip, but admitted that he couldn’t help himself when presented with such a perfect setup."
http://animationresources.org/comics-trogs-rufus-and-flook/

Babylon

Visit site
I'd bet my dog that - when push comes to shove - the referendum result will fall in favour of remaining in the EU.

We need to stop looking back a hundred years and work with where we're at now - or, more pertinently, work collectively within Europe AND with everyone else to ensure than in a hundred years' time when our grandchildren are our sort of age the planet isn't 2.5deg hotter and a catastrophic place to live.

PS Where's Webcraft when you need him?!

fergie_mac66

Visit site
I'd bet my dog that - when push comes to shove - the referendum result will fall in favour of remaining in the EU.

We need to stop looking back a hundred years and work with where we're at now - or, more pertinently, work collectively within Europe AND with everyone else to ensure than in a hundred years' time when our grandchildren are our sort of age the planet isn't 2.5deg hotter and a catastrophic place to live.

PS Where's Webcraft when you need him?!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...und-it-had-lots-of-risks-and-no-a6999646.html

If Brexit SNP get another bite of the cherry.. Oh and have a close read of the govenments porkies about TTlP

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
!

I accept that your prediction is most likely correct.
I do not , however, believe that we are an effective voice within the committee that calls itself the EU. The failure of Dave's efforts to achieve the reforms in our favour demonstrate that.
However, inspite of all the hot air being generated, I fail to see how our exit would have anything to do with an increase in global warming.
Those within the EU will continue with its green agenda ( albeit possibly difficult with the new countries looking to join) & I doubt that our government will suddenly reject the current green agenda within the UK.

RAI

Visit site
I do not , however, believe that we are an effective voice within the committee that calls itself the EU.
No surprise when we send people like Nigel Farage to represent us in the EU. Plus the standard "dog in manger" attitude of a lot of British representatives there.
The failure of Dave's efforts to achieve the reforms in our favour demonstrate that.
Actually not. If you read what he got, apart from the free movement of labour issue, he achieved a surprising amount. Only Brexiters argue that the EU would not honour their promise.

dom

Visit site
...If you read what he got, apart from the free movement of labour issue, he achieved a surprising amount. Only Brexiters argue that the EU would not honour their promise.

Just as a piece of anecdotal evidence: from the perspective of my area of business (finance) it would be fair to say that DC has achieved all that could be expected. In fact it is hard to argue that London would be economically better off out. Naturally that does not answer the sovereignty question though, which at the end of the day is what this is all about.

Babylon

Visit site
I rather think he has none, since what escaped the penetrating attention of fergie_mac66 is that there is no such word as "cajones". That may be why post #252 seemed to pass him by.
Now "cojones" are a different matter.

I wonder what Jones might have to say about that...!

Status
Not open for further replies.