I'm a cruiser....

nicho

Visit site
I\'m a cruiser....

.....not a racer, so why, when recently sailing from Southampton Water down the North Channel towards Gilkicker, and about to be overhauled by someone with a cruising shute flying, did I start fiddling with the sail trim in a effort to keep the bugger behind?? How stupid was that - is it always going to be like this?? (He did not get past by the way!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
You\'re a sailor now!

Its the first sympton, next you'll grow a beard, stop washing, read the CR avidly and lose all sense of humour. Out will go the carpets, framed pictures, the only weight you'll carry will be a deep lead keel .. you're doomed man doomed..
.. we'll you're domed anyway so its just an extra o ;=)

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
quote from old salt....

if i'm alone, i'm cruising. if there's another boat going the same way i'm racing.

nothing changes.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Johnjo

Visit site
Re: You\'re a sailor now!

Personally I never race. but if I happen to be in front!!!!!!!
SHMBO notices now when I start tweeking the lines, Get comments like "racing again are we"
Helps if you know the capabilities of your rival though, saves loosing face!

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: I\'m a cruiser....

I don't worry too much about it, but I do wonder why they are going faster.
Size?
Weight?
Sail area?
If all that is about equal I might tweek a bit.

and if that doesn't work

THEY MUST BE MOTORING/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Escapeii

Visit site
Re: I\'m a cruiser....

Me too, and I tell everyone that I'm not the competitive type, but if there's a yacht going in vaguely the same direction then we're racing.
Please don't tell my insurers.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rosa

Visit site
Re: quote from old salt....

With me, if there's another boat going the same way, I'm cruising. If I'm alone, I'm racing. That way I always win.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
It was to combat exactly this kind of madness...

...that when asked to draw up the race instruction for last year's spring Twister Owner's Meet, I came up with:

Objective
Given that all sailing competitions are by their nature unfair (newer sails, cleaner hull, folding propeller, fuller water tanks, bigger winch grinder, shinier varnish, too much grog the night before) the objective of this competition is to provide new excuses for doing badly.

You are therefore asked to arrive at the finish having sailed as closely as possible to 15 miles through the water; and as closely as possible to 1500 BST.

Starting
Twisters have a choice of two start lines
Westerly: a line drawn NE from North Head Buoy to the Hampshire shore near Milford on Sea.
Easterly: a line drawn North from Egypt Point, but no further North than West Bramble Buoy.

Twisters will start as nearly as possible to 1100 BST

Stopping
Consistent with safety, Twisters may anchor in a position to the West of Newtown Creek Entrance, and to the South and East of Hamstead Ledge Buoy, at a time of their choosing, and shall stay at anchor long enough to make and drink a hot beverage (from cold! No vacuum flasks allowed. No pre-heated water or kettles simmering) for all members of the crew. The quantity to be consumed per person shall be the British Standard Transport Caff Mug, and not some Namby-Pamby Olde-English Tea-Room Bone-China Cup.

In the event that wind, weather or water make anchoring unwise, beverage time may be undertaken while hove to.

Distance logged due to current whilst at anchor, or drift whilst hove to will count towards your 15 miles.

Protest procedure
The procedure is that there will be no protests.

Engines
Use of engine, either in motoring or motor sailing mode, is allowed 'free' for a maximum of 60 minutes during the competition. If the engine is used for longer than 60 minutes, penalties will be awarded.

Finishing
Twisters shall finish by passing close North or South of Black Rock Buoy. NB Beware Black Rock approx. 1 ca inshore of buoy.

Timing
Twisters will record their own start and finish time, and other details, on the attached sheet. Please endeavour to see that your timepieces are reasonably accurate and your log calibrated!

Scoring
1 point for each minute before or after the 1100 start time.
1 point for each minute before or after the 1500 finish time.
1 point for each 1/10th of mile under or over 15 miles sailed through the water.
1 point for each minute of motoring over 60 minutes
30 points for failing to anchor (or heave to) and enjoy a hot drink.

At the considerable discretion of The Management extra marks may be added or subtracted at any time between pre-start and prize-giving, for any reason whatsoever. Oh, least points wins by the way.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Re: It was to combat exactly this kind of madness...

Lovely idea - I trust you are going to claim copyright over all those who plagiarise!

An elegant twist on a tradional predicted log ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Re: quote from old salt....

I remember reading somewhere a quote which went along the lines:

Crew member to skipper: "Does that other boat know we are racing her?"

Been there and done it ourselves - finally giving in and joining the local (friendly) round the cans racing - fills in the day. Not too many places to go off Eastbourne /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Jeff

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Royal Soveriegn race

Is there still a Royal Sovereign race? My first sailing was at Eastbourne, off the beach on a neighbour's Sheerwater catamaran. The RS race (it was a manned lightship then) was out and back, throwing a can of beer aboard as you went round.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Neal

Visit site
Thanks Ken.....

might try this one on the club cruise, Plymouth to either Fowey or salcombe (destination depends on wind direction).

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterb

Visit site
Re: It was to combat exactly this kind of madness...

Nice one. We run similar events. But I'm not sure of your protest procedure. Ours has included such things as "Protests will be considered on receipt of a suitable protest fee, i.e. sufficient alcoholic liquor to make the decision of the protest committee totally unreliable."

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Re: Royal Soveriegn race

Yes, the race is still run by the Eastbourne Sovereign Sailing Club (the result of the two Eastbourne dinghy clubs merging) some time later in the year. It is still an open race for all commers and in recient years Yachts have been given their own start - we may do this one ourselves this year. Have done it a couple of time in dinghies, but much more difficult to get a beer to the light keepers since the tower was errected. Sadly, the light house is now un-manned.

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>