If money was no object?...

billskip

Visit site
Nice, but no fly bridge....I agree with your comment re 30 ft' ers.. I like sailing the Fulmar and is the smallest I would go but only for a day boat, it's got to be upwards of 45ft for me, sadly I'm not a cat man although I have sailed a few, and can see many advantages they are not for me.

Poignard

Visit site
Agreed, if you spend your cruising life in caravan parks (marinas). Disagree very strongly if being at anchor is your preference.
My wife and I do not spend our life in marinas. If we did, an even smaller boat might suffice, since if we felt cramped we could always check into an hotel, or eat ashore, or go for a walk.

Couples and single-handers have happily circumnavigated in boats 30 feet long.

After 26 years owning a 28 foot boat I would like one a bit longer, so I could sleep full length in the cockpit. 30 feet would be fine.

What point would there be in buying what I don't need?

Bunks for a crew I didn't have; an oven I wouldn't use; a shower to waste water in; a larger cloakroom for clothes I wouldn't wear; larger sails I could only lift with difficulty; higher topsides making it more difficult to climb on board from dinghy; more expensive insurance; higher berthing fees when I succumbed to the urge to to use a marina; and so on.

I would rather have a boat that suited me, and keep the money saved for flights, trips inland, entertainment, meals, and to fund retirement when I could no longer sail.

No, 30 feet LOA would do nicely.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
The revitalised Oysters would have to be on the shortlist (though traditionalists won’t like the fact that Oyster has now joined HR in going with twin rudders)
Yes, I like the earlier HR's single helm, I would have great difficulty trying to like these twin helm jobs...maybe that's another reason to move over to mobo.

billskip

Visit site
I do not spend my life in marinas.

Couples and single-handers have happily circumnavigated in boats 30 feet long.

After 26 years owning a 28 foot boat I would like one a bit longer, so I could sleep full length in the cockpit. 30 feet would be fine.

What point would there be in buying what I don't need?

Bunks for a crew I didn't have; an oven I wouldn't use; a shower to waste water in; a larger cloakroom for clothes I wouldn't wear; larger sails I could only lift with difficulty; higher topsides making it more difficult to climb on board from dinghy; more expensive insurance; higher berthing fees when I succumbed to the urge to to use a marina; and so on.

I would rather have a boat that suited me, and keep the money saved for flights, trips inland, entertainment, meals, and to fund retirement when I could no longer sail.

No, 30 feet LOA would do nicely.
Enjoying being on the water is of course the priority...I miss it now I'm Boatless.....dreaming is free....I could end up with an 8mtr day fishing boat .....I dont know....

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
The one I’ve got. I’d just throw a couple of million at her. As a boat, I can’t think of anything better. That said, she has the accommodation of a modern 40 footer - but the performance of a RORC rule class 1 offshore racer, with docile handling.

99B6805B-8075-4546-880C-94C0BD5FCBA6.jpeg

(Berthon have a sister for sale in the Med at the moment, and I’ve seen another for sale in Vanuatu…)

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
The one I’ve got. I’d just throw a couple of million at her. As a boat, I can’t think of anything better.
View attachment 148771
Very nice, unfortunately due to my knees and hip the only thing I could do is enjoy the sail with crew doing the sailing, that for me, doesn't work, so its mobo now or nothing....the latter is more realistic...the trouble is whatever boat, I really dont see enough years left to justify it.

RupertW

Visit site
A Gunfleet catamaran - with money and time there’s no way I’d stick with my current monohull. The heeling and the rolling would be well worth paying to avoid.