If money was no object?...

RupertW

Visit site
Do you mean a Gunboat?

If so, those are so forking fast, they bounce, which makes sleeping impossible!
I did - they are so out of my league I can’t even get the name right. People who cruise them long distance talk about moderating the speed whenever the wave/speed combination is too much. So I guess they pootle along at 10 knots not 20 a lot of the time when on long cruises and just do the high speed stuff when on a day sail - how far can you get at 20 knots in 14 hours?

All still sounds ideal to me - albeit totally theoretical - we might just get a 20 year old Lagoon if we downsize our house.

Wansworth

Visit site
Was invited out years ago by a titan ofthe IslandSailing Club. he had a paid hand that apart from twiddling the winches he brought up from the bilge ice cold beers and pork pies,the owner just sat atthe wheel. Didn’t even let me have ago?

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
My employers in Hong Kong had a company yacht complete with paid hand. The yacht went through several iterations and no doubt still does; the paid hand changed less often. In what I still think of as the ultimate in sailing decadence, on returning to the mooring trot in the Causeway Bay typhoon shelter, the paid hand’s wife held up the buoy rope from her sampan.

In my day the yacht was a 47ft Bill Garden ketch.

I once took her out for a spin round the island by myself. Ah Ming, having dropped the mooring and run the sails up, ostentatiously settled himself on the side deck with the racing pages, and bestirred himself twice, in the course of some hours, to get the beers.

It was the finest compliment I have ever been paid.

Poignard

Visit site
My employers in Hong Kong had a company yacht complete with paid hand. The yacht went through several iterations and no doubt still does; the paid hand changed less often. In what I still think of as the ultimate in sailing decadence, on returning to the mooring trot in the Causeway Bay typhoon shelter, the paid hand’s wife held up the buoy rope from her sampan.

In my day the yacht was a 47ft Bill Garden ketch.

I once took her out for a spin round the island by myself. Ah Ming, having dropped the mooring and run the sails up, ostentatiously settled himself on the side deck with the racing pages, and bestirred himself twice, in the course of some hours, to get the beers.

It was the finest compliment I have ever been paid.
My employer, Gilmans, had a comfortable motor junk. It was pleasant going out for the day in it with family and friends but I preferred doing my monthly weekend duty in the RHKPF launches.

Wansworth

Visit site
It was blowing a bit asthe coaster made its way down sea reach ,I sent the crew down to get a cup of tea …….he returned,forgetting to come through the leeward door ofthe wheelhouse,again tea without sugar ,it’s from that momment I gave up tea with sugar,loath tosendhimbackto bring up the bowl

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
After 26 years owning a 28 foot boat I would like one a bit longer, so I could sleep full length in the cockpit. 30 feet would be fine.

30 foot? I could sleep full length in the cockpit in my centre-boarder, and that was only 16' 6"!

The 'berths' indoors were about 8' long! (Actually you slept on the sole either side of the centre-board case: there weren't any raised berths or, indeed, any 'furniture', at all.) I had so much fun in that boat.

I can't imagine wanting own anything more than 40ft, regardless of the cost. Fortunately ? , deciding what is too large is a problem I'm unlikely to ever have to face.

Kukri

Visit site
It scarcely seems possible, but the port quarter berth on my 55ft boat is just six feet long. The others are all longer, but the starboard quarter berth is the skipper’s berth, so tall people are reduced to the four pilot berths, the two settees or the four pipe cots. It’s intolerable! ?

Wansworth

Visit site
It scarcely seems possible, but the port quarter berth on my 55ft boat is just six feet long. The others are all longer, but the starboard quarter berth is the skipper’s berth, so tall people are reduced to the four pilot berths, the two settees or the four pipe cots. It’s intolerable! ?
With the draft of your craft it’s best the skipper doesn’t get too comfy?

Daydream believer

Visit site
With unlimited funds, as suggested by the OP, It would not be second hand ,but new.
As for size, I realised a few years ago that my 31 ft yacht is just a bit too small. I kept putting off buying bigger, which was a mistake. Now to buy a new 38 ft boat it would be an 18 month wait. At 76 a 38 ft boat might be too much to sail SH any more. But a HR 40CS seems like a boat that I could handle, with all the electrics, stern & bow thruster etc. So I would like one of those.
If I knew I had regular crew, it would be something along the lines of a Dehlar 40. But I prefer sailing SH. So my 31 will have to see me out. It is a nice boat anyway.

Kukri

Visit site
With the draft of your craft it’s best the skipper doesn’t get too comfy?

She comes with a host of tales about her exploits in the Army; a common element in many of them is “The Skipper didn’t get out of his pit, but ordered…”

It’s the hardest quarter berth to get out of, uphill, downhill or level, that I have known.

Wansworth

Visit site
She comes with a host of tales about her exploits in the Army; a common element in many of them is “The Skipper didn’t get out of his pit, but ordered…”

It’s the hardest quarter berth to get out of, uphill, downhill or level, that I have known.
Whatever witha bucket of Britney? briney