If liveaboards want to earn some cash

Norman_E

Visit site
Consider looking after the boats of people like me, who have to leave them behind for months at a time. I would gladly pay a yachtsman, rather than the marina staff, to give my boat a regular once over, checking the bilges and connecting the electrics to charge the batteries. I am sure many others like me would welcome this sort of help.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Sounds sensible to me......

what would I consider a reasonable rate?

Weekly bilge check, couple of hours plugged in for charge up a week, weekly check for wear, tear and loose bits, general observation against unwanted visitors, and perhaps a quick deck scrub prior to return of owner..... perhaps £10 per week?

Captain Coochie

Visit site
I think a deck scrub is taking the piss , people live aboard to get away from that sort of thing . I think ?
Most live aboards ive met on the Thames will keep an eye on your boat without even asking and if you ask its a few beers in the pub rather than a payment , then a curry after , then a few more beers , then a barbie , then more beer ............
Then again £10 a week does add up if its a deck scrub 3 times a year .

roly_voya

Visit site
I have heard of someone doing this as a buisness but cant remember where, carrabian I think. I believe they would winterised then babysit the boat + open up and aire a couple of times. In the spring they got the boat in commission, clean tidy fueled & viticuled. could also arrange for repairs etc to be done. Sounded like an exellent idea if you are in the right place but you would probably have to come back to the same port each winter to build a reputation. Definatly a service I would go for if I kept a boat along way from home. Cost? - well how much damage can a leaking hatch do in a winter... Couple of hundred doesn't sound unreasonable

ccscott49

Visit site
Some of the bigish (60') motorboats down in barcelona take a whole day to wash down and leather off, this costs normally 100 euros. 10 per hour. Most day workers (liveaboards mainly) get paid between 100 and 150 a day, dependant on their skills. Refinishing (varnish/paint) can get up to 35 an hour. Most peeps who leave there boat, get somebody to keep an eye on it. Dont know what they pay, I never have to pay for somebody to look after the boat.

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
Antigua Yacht Services used to supply this service when I was based out there (on salvage stasndby) in 1995/6. They would have someone to check your boat 2-3 times a week including your anchor, if needed re-anchor and make safe. They only used experianced yacht crew for this.
You could also arrange for someone to 'live aboard' while you were away.
Seemed to work well for those who needed it. Don't know what they charged though.