Ice Breaker

longjohnsilver

Visit site
A new experience today, went up the river and encountered large sheets of ice. Luckily they weren't too thick but was a little concerned as to what damage it might cause to the gelcoat, but it seemed too thin to matter

For all you river dwellers, how big a problem is this, and how thick does the ice need to be before it becomes a problem?

BTW what a beautiful day, no wind, clear blue skies, sat out in the cockpit and the sun felt quite warm. On the way back down to Exmouth (from Topsham) there was literally not another boat on the river!! They didn't know what they were missing.

Happy Christmas

Geoffs

Visit site
Very interesting! Just had a look at the chart of the Exe, still quite a substantial estuary up at Topsham, quite surprising water is fresh enough to freeze, must have been rather cold over night.

I used to ice break on canals in my banana boat days. Ice up to 1/4 inch no problem, but hull was steel. The main limit to thickness was that if too thick the boat wouldn't go round corners. Also not popular with any moored grp boats, as breaking the ice could quite easily cause damage.

Have a good Christmas.

ccscott49

Visit site
I used to be in Holland with the boat, ice is a real problem there! My boat was fitted from new with a big stainless plate around the anchor hawse, this was extended to 9" below the water line, I nalways wondered why until I got tro Holland! The boat was built on the medway and the owner used to go around the backwaters all the time, they froze! The area around the waterline used to get a little nibbled, but thats all, I would keep a good lookout along your waterline and bow edge. Incidently the ice used to get 18" thick in Holland, and one year 28", I didn't move!!! I wouldnt go out in ice over 1/2" thick, unless I had too!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
The ice was a couple of miles before Topsham. With the small neap tides I suspect that it was the shallow water over the mudbanks that froze and then drifted off as the tide rose.

It was a very cold night, one of the coldest for a few years.

G

I slow down to 2 knots and have a friend at the front breaking it up with a boat pole- its only a slight decrease from top speed.