I will live-aboard. The clock is ticking

Zanziba

Visit site
For the people that this thread, and to whom it may inspire, I wanted to just write a quick update...

I am still aboard although I do spend half my time on land at my GF's now... Luckily she loves the boat so we are thinking of long term designs at sea. I cannot think of being on land long term, why would you?

As New Year's eve slowly crawls towards us this year we are going to have a quiet bottle of fizz on the rear deck and watch the fireworks in the distance as a reminder of the havoc that we are "missing" out on. Oh, and those that tracked my timeline plans I hope to have my boat paid off this year with any luck. Oooh, that Lagoon 39 looks very tempting :)

Waking dreamers are dangerous people... talk to one and they may just give you ideas.

Good night and take care for the coming year.

Tranona

Visit site
Similarly it's kickstarted my efforts again which are timely with another life change. A life afloat!

Now....I can get the boat I want in Greece or Florida. Both involve a long trip back to Ireland.... :p

But you are unlikely to be able to bring a boat back from Florida for legal and financial reasons. Greece probably removes the legal constraints, but is still hugely expensive as I know from personal experience. That, in part explains why many boats are cheaper in Greece compared with northern europe.

Tranona

Visit site
The financial ones I can understand (VAT!) and was researching but legal reasons?

OK, found the thread where it mentioned Vat, import and CE testing. Wow.

Yep! That explains (in part) why there are lots of cheap boats there, but very few of them find their way over here. In financial terms it is not just VAT but freight costs if you don't sail the boat over (and you pay VAT on that as well) or the cost of preparing the boat for the less pleasurable west/east crossing - plus of course air fairs, hotels etc while looking at 100 rubbish boats before you find one worth buying!