Hydraulic steering fluid

kashurst

Visit site
My hydraulic - but NOT power steering, system is low on fluid. What is the fluid?
Is it just regular powersteering fluid or automatic transmission fluid or something else?
cheers

dpb

Visit site
I went through this last year. Mechanic told me to find a hydraulic steering fluid to match the colour of the existing.
I found the manual for my system online which gave a spec for the fluid which I found easily enough.
Turned out it was a different colour. Used it to top up anyway and all good so far!

westernman

www.devalk.nl
My hydraulic - but NOT power steering, system is low on fluid. What is the fluid?
Is it just regular powersteering fluid or automatic transmission fluid or something else?
cheers
Could be. But may be not. Some use power steering like stuff, some automatic transmission, some stuff called hydraulic jack fluid. Comes in different colours. Recommend something where the colour and the spec matches.

You should be able to get a reference to the recommended stuff.

I found that for my steering, old teleflex, that the Volvo stuff was also recommended.

I used that, and despite the reputation for Volvo being very expensive, it was not much more than normal hydraulic transmission or power steering fluid from various online places and local cheap places (Feu Vert, Nor auto, etc, etc).

penberth3

Visit site
I went through this last year. Mechanic told me to find a hydraulic steering fluid to match the colour of the existing.
I found the manual for my system online which gave a spec for the fluid which I found easily enough.
Turned out it was a different colour. Used it to top up anyway and all good so far!

I would never rely on colour. Definitely find the proper spec, the wrong oil could destroy the seals.

kashurst

Visit site
Strewth, I hadn't realised it was so specific. I will find the manufacturer and contact them.
thanks for the replies.

Other threads that may be of interest