Hydraflex Hydraulics

MULTIMAL

Hants/Wilts border. UK. Mooring, Poole Harbour.
Visit site
As the basic Hydraflex steering kit (HYSY30, composed of LD22 wheel pump + I-B98 ram) is still being sold by chandlers(e.g.Mailspeed), I thought there may be others out there interested in my recent attempt to service the system fitted to my Prout Ranger.
Just replacing a few seals seemed a simple prospect at the outset....
A long search finally led me to Aquafax as main importers of these Italian kits but, helpful though they were, service kits just didn't seem to exist. Why, at £300 a set, is a system put on the market with no back-up?
To cut a long story short, I finally got a new set of seals tailor-made for me locally in Southampton. Not cheap, but better than buying whole new kits (my boat has two rams, one for each rudder).
The point is, if anyone else wants to service their similar units, I'm happy to help in getting hold of seals. If there's a big enough response (& with the parameters now on their system) it may be possible to negotiate a lower unit price.
Now that I've no longer got hydraulic fluid leaking all down my transoms, I can get on with all the other jobs & get on with the sailing...
Happy to hear from anyone interested in taking this further.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
interested to hear about your experiences as i have a similar system. do you have a hydraulic autopilot? if so, how do you find it?

<hr width=100% size=1>

MULTIMAL

Hants/Wilts border. UK. Mooring, Poole Harbour.
Visit site
Answer to your q. is - not yet, but maybe some time in the future...
But I'm pleased that someone has responded top my first ever posting!
Did you fit your Hydraflex system yourself?
Which system is it & how long has it been in use for (without being serviced).
The bit I havn't got to grips with yet is the helm pump - the innards look a bit complicated to me, but I'm hoping to get some inside advice from some friendly hydraulics experts in the area.
Let me know if you're interested in getting hold of repalcement/spare seals kits.
Cheers, 'Zeus'

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
haven't taken mina apart yet (and hope i never have to) it's done 14000 miles so far. only problem is i need a bigger reservoir as the autopilot pump sometimes sucks air.

<hr width=100% size=1>