Hurricane Maria

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
Looks like we here in Guadeloupe are going to miss the direct hit. Poor old Dominica will get the brunt of this. At 20.08 GMT Maria is a Cat 3 and the expectation for the Antilles is that it will pass as such and strengthen as it goes off to Hispaniola
Very quiet here in Riviere Sens, eerily so in fact so hunkered down and ready for the blast.

Slowtack

Visit site
Away out here they've got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess,
The fire's Joe
And they call the wind Maria
Maria blows the stars around
Sets the clouds a-flyin'
Maria makes
The mountains sound like folks was out there dyin'
Maria (Maria)
Maria (Maria)
They call
The wind
Maria
Before I knew
Maria's name
And heard her wail and whinin'
I had a gal
And she had me
And the sun
Was always shinin'
But then one day
I left my gal
I left her far behind me
And now I'm lost,
So gol' darn lost
Not even God
Can find me
Maria
Maria
They call
The wind
Maria

Zing

Visit site
Looks like we here in Guadeloupe are going to miss the direct hit. Poor old Dominica will get the brunt of this. At 20.08 GMT Maria is a Cat 3 and the expectation for the Antilles is that it will pass as such and strengthen as it goes off to Hispaniola
Very quiet here in Riviere Sens, eerily so in fact so hunkered down and ready for the blast.

Famous last words....

Seriously, shouldn't be too bad for you. I hope not anyway.

Visit site
Now stated as up to Cat 5.....sat here in Southern Spain with a few ARC boats with us in the marina I cant help but wonder if this years so called "Rally" is going to turn in to a "Relief/Rescue" mission instead...

duncan

Visit site
Just had an SMS from weather men, now a Cat 4 to pass over the centre of Dominica. Really feel for them, Strengthened very quickly it was a Cat 2 a couple of hours ago!!

Hope you are well. We left Antigua Sat, after an interesting couple of weeks, and were surprised to see this lady brewing.

PR still looks like it's going to get the double whammy as the cross over with Irma's track - but it could still shift N.

Bad year. Stay safe.

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
B****r me that was some night. Power came on at 14.30 local but what a storm. Poor old Dominica, gawd knows what that's like. Here in the south of Guadeloupe it was and still is unbelievably windy.
Boat has damaged stern but I think fixable (isn't almost everything?)
So now the clean up.

Zing

Visit site
Good to hear you seem ok. I hope the boat damage is not too bad.

I think the eye went over Portsmouth. Can't have been a good outcome for them. No news yet.

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
I am stuck in London trying to get back to St.Kitts.
Was booked to fly this morning.
BA has rebooked me on Saturday.
Their Customer Service leaves much to be desired (I am being very diplomatic).

Wife is in St.Kitts and is going/has gone through Hurricane Maria.
Hunkered down in the downstairs apartment (built as our 'Hurricane Hole').
Replacement roll down metal shutters went on on Mon.

Have lost contact with her, as service provider Digital has gone down.
Electricity service is down in areas.
Water locked off.
We have an 800 gallon tank in garage, plus 8,500 in pool which can be used for bathing, washing and toilet flushing.

Maria passed slightly South of St.Kitts by about 40-50 miles as a Cat 5 hurricane.

Still getting severe seas. Section(s) of island coast road impassable.

Torrential rains.

No idea if our house roof and solar panels are intact. I doubt it. :ambivalence:

However it can be repaired (I hope), lives can't.

Dominica got hammered as eye went over it at Cat4/5.

Last edited:

TeeRev

Visit site
Morning Mr G, sorry to hear you're stuck in London but it just so happens that Linda and I are in the smoke for a few days as well. We're doing business stuff today and Friday but would you like to meet up for a beer or dinner on Thursday. I've just tried your mobile but can't get through so I guess that's in St Kitts. You should still have my number though so perhaps you could give me a call. Trevor.

richardbayle

www.richardbayle.com
Richard

Which marina are in? One the three just outside Point a Pitre

Riviere Sens, down south of Basse Terre. Took the eye of the storm. Dead impressed with the way the Guadeloupeans have responded to this, very impressed. No fuss just getting on with cleaning up. Power back on after only 12 hours but no water yet. Some yachts damaged a couple very badly, a Super Marimou lost it's backstays in contact with the pontoon, bit of a mess, but proved to be a bit of a hurricane hole if such exists the big mountain here certainly helped. Road to Basse-Terre destroyed along with all the homes fronting it, feel for those people.