hull painting

Freebee

Visit site
I have a boat with a plywood hull previously painted many times. The manuals say not use 2 pack unless it has been previously painted with it.
how can I tell what the old coats of paint are 2 pack or enamel?

iainmillett

Visit site
I'd ontain a biooklet from any decent chandlers by either Blakes or International paints which will explian the test.

I'm using one coat toplac on GRP and not finding it easy in these conditions outside. You can always ring the manufacturers - I've found them v helpful.

good luck!

G

Dampen a cloth in the thinners for 2 pack paint, your chandler might let you have little drop if they're friendly. Rub the thinners dampened cloth on the paint or better still taspe the cloth onto the boat overnight. If any paint comes off onto the cloth, then the paint is 1 pack and NOT 2 pack. Two pack thinners will soften one pack paint, but won't affect 2 pack paint that's already gone off. BTW the test doesn't work the other way round, 2 pack thinners won't affect existing 1 or 2 pack paint.

If the boat's been previously painted with one pack and you want to use two pack, you'll have to strip off all the old paint, I don't think there's a primer that will cover it. If already been 2 packed, you can use whichever you want, but IMHO 2 pack is better. Gives a better finish, deeper shine and harder and longer lasting.

kingfisher

Visit site
No 2-pack on wood

2-pack paints don't usually work well on wood: the wood contracts and expands as it takes on moisture, thereby crackeling the paint. 2-pack paints are basically to hard for wood, not flexible enough.

But check out www.yachtpaint.com (site of International paints)

Obi-Wan