Hugo Boss

bbg

Visit site
I will be very surprised if this boat sets anything that you would consider a spinnaker...
Code sails? Don't they measure as spinnakers?

They sure fly something from the end of the bowsprit that needs to be rigged and dropped, not just unfurled and furled (and left there).

flaming

Visit site
Code sails? Don't they measure as spinnakers?

They sure fly something from the end of the bowsprit that needs to be rigged and dropped, not just unfurled and furled (and left there).

The older boats did... I suspect that the newer ones will not have sails that expect an AWA of much more than 90. And they aren't (as I understand it) limited by the rules as to what measures as a spinnaker, they can make any girth width. Pretty sure the only restriction is number (8 sails total). So the furling sails they have are unlikely to measure as IRC code zeros. More like big, deep jibs.
Certainly don't expect any of the foilers to have an A2...

Here's Charal with a downwind sail deployed.
image-r-1680-1200.jpg

bbg

Visit site
The older boats did... I suspect that the newer ones will not have sails that expect an AWA of much more than 90. And they aren't (as I understand it) limited by the rules as to what measures as a spinnaker, they can make any girth width. Pretty sure the only restriction is number (8 sails total). So the furling sails they have are unlikely to measure as IRC code zeros. More like big, deep jibs.

image-r-1680-1200.jpg
Thanks. Although my point to Minn remains: those sails won’t drag themselves on deck. They aren’t left attached all the time. They have to be rigged first.

flaming

Visit site
Thanks. Although my point to Minn remains: those sails won’t drag themselves on deck. They aren’t left attached all the time. They have to be rigged first.

Lot of chat over in the angry american website, but the beauty of having the sails on furlers is that you can drag them through the boat to just in front of the mast, then plug in a halyard and hoist out of a hatch, plugging the sheet in as it goes out and the tackline in only when it's 90% out and then pulling the tack to the bowsprit. So no real lugging, just a few minutes of winch grinding. Retrieval line on the tack to reverse the procedure.
And they have put a hatch basically where you'd want one...

LONG_KEELER

Visit site

image-r-1680-1200.jpg

Fantastic picture. Thanks.

First time I have seen a boat like this "on all fours".

It's hard though to mentally internalise this technology for a sailing boat. Perhaps it will come in time.

It's almost too outrageous at the moment . We used to think that planing was the ultimate.

Last edited:

Iain C

Visit site
>I think you're rather missing the point. He doesn't plan on being on deck...

So he won't ever be keeping watch which all other boats do.

No, IMOCAs have moved from open cockpit to almost fully enclosed years ago. The skipper is very very rarely "on deck" as such. HB is designed so it's not dragging around a cockpit full of water everywhere. There are still places to put your head up (I've seen the boat close up) but to be honest travelling at 30+ knots in a ball of spray and constantly cat napping, you're better off with AIS and alarms as soon as you are away from the busy areas. You hardly need to keep watch at Point Nemo where the closest humans apart from the other VG skippers close to you, is the crew of the ISS.

Think Jester for the modern age.

Bathdave

Visit site
Looks like the next edition of the Vendee is going to be fast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceZciIrxuv4&feature=youtu.be

(sorry for the poor quality of the video, it's not mine)

I’m sure the designers know more than me, but I’ve seen video of those super fast foiling cats catching a pontoon in a wave and pitch poling instantly ..

I’m not sure I understand how HB foiling along fully powered up at 30 knots, behaves when the bow nose dives ...which it surely will in the Southern Ocean.

TLouth7

Visit site
I’m not sure I understand how HB foiling along fully powered up at 30 knots, behaves when the bow nose dives ...which it surely will in the Southern Ocean.

I saw an interview with one of the skippers who said that the decelerations were actually less extreme on the previous generation partially foiling 60s than the earlier, daggerboard versions. I wonder how much trimming these foils need and what innovations they incorporate to minimise workload for the skipper.

The video I posted shows the windward rudder raised, but the previous videos seem to show the rudders with fixed endplates, anyone care to guess how that works?

Spyro

Visit site
I’m sure the designers know more than me, but I’ve seen video of those super fast foiling cats catching a pontoon in a wave and pitch poling instantly ..

Just as the video stops. :rolleyes:

armchairsailor

Visit site
After that vid I’m excited to see Alex’s first official one. Bet there’s no need even for a bucket on board. All passengers/ hostages will wee themselves automatically. God, that thing’s terrifying.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Turns out depending on your interpretation... you don't actually need to keep a 'physical eye' on the horizon, you just have to be keeping a watch. Most Radar/AIS etc covers that and provided you respond to the alarms, you're keeping the best watch you can... (which is a lot better than sailors 60 years ago could).

(I'll put an obvious newb disclaimer here XD, knowledge gathered from various blogs on this very same question).