Hugo Boss

flaming

Visit site
maybe it's all steered from inside hence no proper cockpit and no protection from the waves that will be washing down the decks at 30 knots. It sure looks slippery.

Precisely so. No permanent tiller at all apparently. Just autopilot.

I mean, it's staggering stuff, but I'm not sure what the point of going down into the Southern Ocean is if you don't even get to turn the autopilot off for a couple of hours and just enjoy sending it at the helm.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
There’s a vertical weathertight door with five dogs at the fore end of the ‘hatchway’ space which presumably does as the cockpit, and from the absence of a dog at the top I assume that the hinge is at the top and that it is spring loaded.

Confronted with stuff that we don’t understand, many of us, and I am one, fall back on stuff that we do understand.

I don’t understand why there is no “breakwater” let alone the now customary “steam locomotive cab” arrangement to provide shelter but I do wonder why that door isn’t centre wheel locking given the number of times it’s going to be opened and closed, often in a hurry.

Centre wheel locking weathertight door:

Conventional dogged weathertight door:

Last edited:

Triassic

Visit site
Not much headroom considering there is no cockpit to speak of. Need to see it on the water to fully appreciate it.

My understanding is that you pretty much never stand up on these latest boats, it's to dangerous. Apparently the motion when they come on and off the foils is so violent that anyone in a space big enough to move far in gets thrown around and injured, hence no cockpit to speak of and the crew sail the boat from a padded seat wedged into a corner somewhere! One does have to ask if the limiting factor is the design parameters of the boat, or the ability of the crew to survive....... Exciting sailing anyhow.

MrB

Visit site
I love it as I have loved all the Hugo Boss boats over the years. I cannot wait to see how she does in interim races before the next VG. Exciting times. :encouragement::cool:

Spyro

Visit site
Precisely so. No permanent tiller at all apparently. Just autopilot.

I mean, it's staggering stuff, but I'm not sure what the point of going down into the Southern Ocean is if you don't even get to turn the autopilot off for a couple of hours and just enjoy sending it at the helm.
Now, if it could just have roller furling main and fore sail with electric winches it might not actually have a need for anyone to be on board. That would be interesting. Alex could just control it from his phone.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Lots of benefits have and are still filtering down rapidly to cruisers, including
- autopilots able to handle all conditions, often better than a human helm
- faster and drama free downwind sailing with wider sterns and twin rudder
-
I would just be happy if Raymarine would designe a tiller pilot that did not leak and NASA marine designed displays that did mot mist up in the first 6 months
apart from that do you honestly believe anything on Hugo Boss will have the slightest effect on general pleasure sailing--i think not?
That being said the boat really is a fantastic bit of kit

Tomahawk

Visit site
Though the deep narrow boats with very long bow and stern overhangs, like the J Classes and the Metre classes, were driven by race rating rules - which led to some seeing these as good “classic” characteristics in subsequent cruising yachts, even though cruising and working boats prior to that had more practical plumb bows, and often sterns. (Ironic that the plumb bow with sprit, fashionable in modern race and cruising boats, is seen as not “classic” when it is in fact more traditional.)

I have often pondered the same thought.
Look at a traditional smack/pilot cutter.
Plumb bow
Very flat and wide stern (ignoring the keel)
Long bowsprit
Multiple head sails
Gaff holding out a flat top topsail creating a high aspect ratio main.
Flush deck

Now look at the latest IMOCA shapes.....

Material technology has allowed the boat to become lighter and put the ballast lower down where it does the work. But there are a lot of similarities.

Tomahawk

Visit site
That's true and it has to be remembered that us cruiser types get the benefits from racing
further down the line. Eventually that is.

I wonder though if the gap has never been wider and it is difficult to see where the benefits are going to come from and how affordable they might be. Particularly foils which to some are not cruising or racing. Americas Cup interest is probably now at it's lowest ebb .

Have you looked at Pogo yachts?
They take their inspiration from IMOCA.

How long before someone sells a cruising version of the Open 40 class?

doug748

Visit site
I think it looks grand, for a racing boat, which is not the criteria that counts of course.
It will probably have some fashion backwash; look out for a crop of tubby cruisers in black with red bracing, go faster, struts in the cockpit.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Here you go

69466316_10162211467105187_7466007728708648960_n.jpg
vendee globe just shared a picture on their facebook account(cant share the link unfortunately) of the foils, boat looks like an x-fighter

matt1

Visit site
We saw her launched and we're lucky enough to have quite a long chat with the great man who gave all sorts of detail about the foils, which needless to say I won't publicly repeat! Suffice to say I was left with the impression that the boundaries were being pushed again, like they were on the last HB which was arguably the fastest IMOCA at the time.

ip485

Visit site
I love the solar panels incorporated in the deck. I feel this is the way forward for all production boats. There is often deck area that could be kept very clean and tidy and yet have the panels as part of the design, ideally in some way they could be replaced, as I assume in the case of production boats the boat may well out last the life of the panels.

Other threads that may be of interest